Old Schatt & Morgan

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Old Schatt & Morgan

Post by jerryd6818 »

I guess Schatt & Morgan's are welcome here????????

I just picked this one up on eBay and I know nothing about it. The handles appear to be linen micarta? Hard to tell in a picture. The tang stamp appears to be pretty old.

SCHATT & MORGAN
CUTLERY CO.
you can't see it in the picture but there could be something under Cutlery Co. or maybe I just want there to be something there. The scratches look too regular to be just random scratching. The blade has of course been sharpened and I would guess from the rust, is carbon steel?? I noticed the shield has a pin in it. Is that significant?

I only have one book and it's no help at all. The library failed me when I called and requested American Pocketknives by David A. Krauss. No copies available (and I don't want to put out $65.00 for my own copy). Even my friend Google fails me when I try to research Schatt & Morgan so any help identifying the pattern (melon tester / fruit knife??) and / or approximate year will be greatly appreciated. Actually any and all information on the knife is appreciated.
Attachments
S&MOld.JPG
S&MOldStamp.JPG
S&MOldShield.JPG
S&MOldCracks.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
BuckeyeSchatt

Re: Old Schatt & Morgan

Post by BuckeyeSchatt »

Welcome jerryd6818, I think the pattern is Single Blade Trapper or what Queen calls a #11 utility. The tang stamp was used from 1903-1932? I'm sure David Clark will have a better answer and more info for you ::tu:: .
nifbuf

Post by nifbuf »

To the best of my knowledge the pattern was not an early Schatt pattern but most likely was produced in the early 1920s when S&M was trying to compete during the economic down turn and trying to compete with Remington and Winchester who starting manufacturing knives after WWI.
I haven’t seen many of the S&M slim trapper and only in celluloid handles. I would love to find on in bone.
Attached is the only slim trapper I have.
As to your handle material, it also is probably celluloid. I have attached two knives of similar handled material, about the same color and with the parallel lines. These are one blade knives made to be used. That is probably why we don’t see many of them.
Queen City also made this pattern but in a two blade and in bone.
Attachments
S&M Slim Trapper_001.jpg
S&M Slim Trapper_002.jpg
S&M bidding knives_001.jpg
S&M bidding knives_002.jpg
David Clark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks for the information and pictures. I'm guessing those "regular scratches" beneath CUTLERY CO. probably said Titusville PA. It's good to know I wasn't just seeing things. After eighty some years, I guess I don't have to worry about the handles out gassing. :)

I sure like the knife. It's a bit of history, made for everyday use and shows it. The knife is kinda like me.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

I hope you guys dont mind if I make a comment on the handle materials. I know that old schatt has what most collectors call(waterfall) handles. This is so, because when you tilt the knife while in your hand, the movement of the lines acts like a true waterfall. If your lines do not move, then your handle is not referred to as having waterfall handles, just celluloid handles. True waterfall handles are hard to come by. The most spectactular ones are the knives that have blue lines that move instead of black lines that move(because over the years the oil residue and wear) have changed the color from blue to black. I am sure it was a breathtaking handle material when it was new. Thx Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
boggs

Post by boggs »

ratlesnake75 wrote:I hope you guys dont mind if I make a comment on the handle materials. I know that old schatt has what most collectors call(waterfall) handles. This is so, because when you tilt the knife while in your hand, the movement of the lines acts like a true waterfall. If your lines do not move, then your handle is not referred to as having waterfall handles, just celluloid handles. True waterfall handles are hard to come by. The most spectactular ones are the knives that have blue lines that move instead of black lines that move(because over the years the oil residue and wear) have changed the color from blue to black. I am sure it was a breathtaking handle material when it was new. Thx Mark
I did not know that...thank you
Jim
Vivat Jesus
Knights of Columbus - PGK

"Hold Fast"
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

You are welcome Mr. Jim----this is what AAPK is all about---thx Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”