Help with ID on two new to me.

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
lentuk
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Help with ID on two new to me.

Post by lentuk »

Just bought these, I only wanted the smaller button lock but the deal was was for both of them.
Can anyone tell me what models and what the wood might be?
Both of them are stamped with a 93 so I'm guessing that's not the model numbers, year maybe??
20210603_093948.jpg
20210603_093845.jpg
bdev

Re: Help with ID on two new to me.

Post by bdev »

Note: This response was incorrect. Please see my other response below.

1993 was the year the blades were made but both knives look to be newly made from old stock blades. The large one is a Folding Hunter. Don't know about the smaller one. I don't recall Queen making a push button lock of that type. I could be wrong though. The blades look newly polished (notice the "Queen Steel" etching on the smaller blade). If I had to take an educated guess, I'd say these knives were made from old stock purchased from Queen's bankruptcy auction. Just a guess.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Queen did make button locks. I've had 2. Sold one on here a couple years ago.
Eye Brand Collector
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

I bought a Queen button lock folding hunter last week. It is the first one I ever held in my hand.
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

These are legit Queen knives. The 93 is the year they were made. I have one of the folding hunters and three or four of the smaller ones. I call the smaller one a copperhead pattern for my own purposes. If someone has the proper designation by Queen please feel free to chime in. I'm not sure what type of wood Queen used on these knives.
Rick
bdev

Post by bdev »

Bamarick wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:52 am These are legit Queen knives. The 93 is the year they were made. I have one of the folding hunters and three or four of the smaller ones. I call the smaller one a copperhead pattern for my own purposes. If someone has the proper designation by Queen please feel free to chime in. I'm not sure what type of wood Queen used on these knives.
Rick
Rick. You are correct and my above reply is incorrect. I did some research and found a 1995 catalog (there's no 1993 catalog on the net) that shows the Rawhide series. Although the patterns shown here are not in the 1995 catalog within the Rawhide series, they do resemble them. I believe the wood is what Queen called "Staminawood".
Here's the link to the 1995 catalog. See page 21.

https://queencutleryhistory.com/wp-cont ... g-1995.pdf
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
lentuk
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by lentuk »

Thank you all.
So I am calling the large one a Model #44 folding hunter in "Staminawood" and the smaller copperhead a #410B small button lock in "Staminawood".
Does that sound about right?

That catalog is a great find, so Queen at one time was owned by Ontario?
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

lentuk wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:32 pm Thank you all.
So I am calling the large one a Model #44 folding hunter in "Staminawood" and the smaller copperhead a #410B small button lock in "Staminawood".

I think it was the other way round mate, or they were in partnership if my memory serves me correct.

I'm going to double check my catologues to make sure.

Very nice set of folder btw.
8) ::tu::

Edit: Already answered... ::facepalm::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

lentuk wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:32 pm Thank you all.

At one time both Queen and Ontario were owned by Servotronics. They were both under the Servotronics corporate umbrella.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”