Some information please on a Queen

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
MS bow hunter

Some information please on a Queen

Post by MS bow hunter »

Could someone please educate me on this knife? Year of manufacture and maybe the model of this knife? It appears to be brand new never used or carried.

Thank you for any information.
6CDA6866-E3A3-40FE-8137-A0B99E43F819.jpeg
09E4276F-3793-4E56-A933-B2601B2D97FF.jpeg
ABDF6C3F-EBFE-43F2-8451-58E8EBBD8CFE.jpeg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Some information please on a Queen

Post by treefarmer »

MS bow hunter,
What is the closed length of this knife? I love the old Queens and can identify a few by just looking but the closed length would help narrow it down.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
MS bow hunter

Post by MS bow hunter »

Yes sir. Maybe this will help. Thank you sir!
6E3C1CD4-C7E0-485B-AEB0-1296430DBE80.jpeg
316FD9B7-2A8B-4161-A0F9-D5044230B22A.jpeg
4B300A87-7700-482D-B483-681C26924FF9.jpeg
39DC6F59-50B8-4113-AC6B-35D525B285EF.jpeg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

The best I can tell from the pictures, your knife's closed length is 4 1/8", it has one blade, a clip and the handles are imitation Winterbottom bone.
There are 3 single blade knives that fall under the name of "Utility", pattern #'s 11, 12, 13, they are all 4 1/8". I don't know which is which but am fairly certain the only difference in those numbered knives is the style of the blade. ::hmm:: Yours is a clip, the other two will probably be a spear and maybe a sheep foot. (there is another "Utility" 4 1/8" single blade, #41, supposed to have red handles)
There are members here on the forum who could and will set us straight. One is "bdev", he isn't as active as he was but he has been a big help to me and others concerning pattern numbers that are not identified.
As for the tang stamp, I believe it is a maybe an older stamp that was resurrected in the later years. ::shrug::
This may be a bit cloudy but it should clear up when we get a description of #11, 12 and 13. ::tu::
Treefarmer

MS bow hunter

Post by MS bow hunter »

Treefarmer, thank you. My wife actually bought the knife for me. She and her family went to Mountain View Arkansas and there is a small knife shop on the square. I had to work :x and couldn’t get off.

This is my second queen, and I don’t know much about them. Actually here in Mississippi, I don’t guess I can remember seeing any Queen knives in any stores around.

Thanks for your help, I was just wondering how old it was?
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I'm not a Queen expert, but that doesn't look like a #11. The #11 has a slightly swelled and canted handle end, but your knife looks to be more equal from top to bottom. Here is a #11 (not my knife):

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... 1738_1.jpg

I don't know about the #12 & #13. I'm also not familiar with that Queen tang stamp. Are their any marks on the back of the tang? The tang stamp charts I have stop around 2008, so I'm thinking yours is after that.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

TFL, somewhere in the past the Queen trappers were changed to Pattern #19. Waiting to hear from Bruno or any one else that is knowledgeable concerning the Queen pocket knives.
Treefarmer

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm far from an expert on Queen knives, but I don't recognize that stamp either. I looked at the ones listed in the tang stamps thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39799&p=754416&hilit=Queen#p754416 but don't see it there. ::shrug::

Can you tell whether the handles are bone, or Delrin (imitation bone)?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
MS bow hunter

Post by MS bow hunter »

There are no other markings on it. Both ends of the knife are the same, unlike a trapper that has a larger end on the handle.

It seems to be of fairly good quality, the blade steel is very hard and the handle material is plastic, not real bone.

I did manage to get it sharp using a diamond stone, I plan on carrying it and using it.
9680AF55-B6AA-4928-9BB2-C94476A36973.jpeg
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Can anyone tell me if this could be a Queen knife? I don't see any markings anywhere on the knife nor sheath. It looks like it wants to be a Queen, I just don't see any markings. Has anyone seen this before and could tell what I have here? Thanks!
Attachments
DSCF8495.JPG
DSCF8503.JPG
DSCF8500.JPG
DSCF8501.JPG
DSCF8502.JPG
DSCF8499.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
TwoFlowersLuggage

That winterbottom handle is pretty clearly Queen. Queen knives from 1961-1971 did not have a tang stamp, they used etching on the face of the blade. It is not uncommon for that etching to be worn off. That might not be the original sheath.

That looks like it could be a #98 Skinning Knife. Check out page 11 in this 1965 catalog:
https://bob1.zaksoffice.com/wp-content/ ... 6-1965.pdf
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
bdev

Post by bdev »

MS bow hunter wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:10 am Could someone please educate me on this knife? Year of manufacture and maybe the model of this knife? It appears to be brand new never used or carried.

Thank you for any information. 6CDA6866-E3A3-40FE-8137-A0B99E43F819.jpeg09E4276F-3793-4E56-A933-B2601B2D97FF.jpegABDF6C3F-EBFE-43F2-8451-58E8EBBD8CFE.jpeg
It looks to be about 4 1/2". If it is, it's a #37 stockman pattern with one blade (original 37's had 3 blades and one was a punch) , Delrin handles, probably made in the 1990's. The stockman is a serpentine pattern. It could have been a special run 'cause I've never seen a single blade stockman pattern. Queen might have had excess 37 frames and decided to put out a simple pattern.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Bruno, thank you for adding your expertise! I'm trying to learn about these old Queens and apparently I was way off base. :oops: I hope this helps MS bow hunter with his fine knife!
Treefarmer

TwoFlowersLuggage

Is this the same tang stamp as the OP? I think it might be.
https://epragueknives.com/1998-queen-96 ... nife-case/

If it is, the knife at that link is 1998, so somewhere in the 1990s/early 2000s is sounding very plausible. That makes sense, because we know the knives after 2012 are stamped with a "DFC".
TwoFlowersLuggage

Oh! About 3/4 of the way down this page, there are two pics of the same tang stamp.
https://iknifecollector.com/m/group?id= ... %3A19.233Z

One of those posts says the pic of of a knife from 2005. I'm ready to call this stamp some period between 1996 (the last stamp on the Queen tang stamp chart we all typically use) & 2012 (DFC).

Now, exactly what pattern that knife is? No clue - it's certainly not in the catalogs that I can find online...
TwoFlowersLuggage

OK, last post (I promise): Is this the same knife?

http://www.icollectknives.com/726388_it ... 372&page=2
726388_1b9d3579-b49c-4858-a064-204930bae4bc.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

TFL, without accurate measurements of both knives I wouldn't venture a positive answer. Looks just like the one MS bow hunter posted. ::hmm::
I thought at first the OP knife didn't have a serpentine shaped frame but apparently it is, as is the one you posted. ::shrug::
I respect bdev's opinions way beyond my limited knowledge.
Treefarmer

MS bow hunter

Post by MS bow hunter »

Yes sir! That’s it.

Thank Y’all so much for all the cool information. I been carrying everyday since I got it. I like the one blade, it is thin and has a nice feel.

It is a little hard to sharpen, I am thinking it’s D2 steel.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”