Queen made Case knives

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
flynbulldog

Queen made Case knives

Post by flynbulldog »

I have a couple of Case knives that were made by Queen in the mid-90's But I'm a bit confused, if these knives were manufactured for Case by Queen wouldn't they have been made in Titusville? They are Stamped "Bradford"

Can anybody give me some history on how Queen manufactured for other makers during this time frame and what was stamped on the blades?
Thanks
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Queen made Case knives

Post by Rookie »

Queen would stamp on a blade whatever the customer paid them to stamp on a blade.
Carl B.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Rookie is correct. Queen also made the KA-BAR collector's Club knives from the late 1970s-mid 1990s and those are often marked Olean, NY although they were made in Titusville, PA. Been going on for years, many companies made knives on contract for other companies over the years and they often have the contracting company's town/city stamped on them rather than the actual maker's town/city marks.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Queen made thousands of knives for Moore Maker and stamped Matador, Texas on the blades. Queen was a prolific maker of knives for others, many of them represented by Blue Grass Cutlery as the “middleman” brokering the deal.

The practice of making knives for other companies and stamping them with other towns’ names has been commonplace in the cutlery industry for well over 100 years. An example that comes to mind is knives made in early 1900s by Napanoch in New York for Sears, but stamped Wilburt Cutlery over Chicago. In fact most of the hardware company brands were stamped with their company names and locations, but were made on contract by cutleries located elsewhere. Browse this thread for more examples viewtopic.php?f=35&t=27447, although I don’t think any of those were made by Queen. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Being contract knives they are stamped as they always have been, at the direction of the buyer. No different now than it was 100 years ago. Country of origin is a different matter but this too has been skirted at times.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
DanQueencutlerycom

Post by DanQueencutlerycom »

There is a very helpful section on Case Classic knives on allabout pocketknives, under the "research" tab. Some of the images have been taken down, but the section on patterns is good, and there is a list of items for sale under "Case Classics." I guess because "dyed in the wool" Case collectors know Queen made most of the patterns. As more of a Queen collector, these knives have a strong following and often sell at higher price points than Queen's own labeled production. Very nice knives.
Dan Lago for
<QueenCutleryguide.com>
Kramersknife

Post by Kramersknife »

I was at the Queen auction in 2019 and bought the entire front office and have a bunch of sales sheets for Moore Maker and others Trying to figure out what to do with the stuff.One unique item was a legal pad with tracings (of loose parts) of current production knives with design changes and notes on production numbers colors handles and such.I think they would look good framed with that particular knife accompanied with it. any thoughts?

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”