Boker Mamba Amboynia Wood

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Boker Mamba Amboynia Wood

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Is this Boker Mamba made in Germany? Or is it a Boker Plus made in China or some other country? I don’t recognize this shield on this one. These pictures are from a knife that is for sale on eBay right now and the price is already over 300 dollars. I looked these up on the internet and found some made in Germany and some made elsewhere. Not all have the same blade as this one, so it’s really confusing. I didn’t know Boker ever made a Mamba knife, it looks like this is now discontinued and no longer produced. I like it a lot. Amboynia is one of my favorite handle materials so this really appeals to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
52AA5119-03B6-48F2-9F61-E5F94F36D6F5.jpeg
4857CE0C-6442-4C3C-AD06-BC49B9218480.jpeg
9E061DB1-8761-45A3-A3F8-9509C60F56CB.jpeg
C1FBF2A0-4D69-4D42-80B9-4C385D7C3701.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
tallguy606

Re: Boker Mamba Amboynia Wood

Post by tallguy606 »

very strange there's no tang markings. Genuine German Boker should say Solingen.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Tallguy, I noticed that too and the unusual shield threw me on this one. Surprised to see it sell for 305 last night, that’s not far off the price of one of these with a Damascus blade when they were new.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

German made, part of the 1674 series. As far as I know they did not stamp these, MSRP was $160
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Montanaman wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:12 pm German made, part of the 1674 series. As far as I know they did not stamp these, MSRP was $160
Thanks Kris, What an increase in prices over the original MSRP. That’s amazing. Amboynia is a nice wood for knife handles, but the price puzzles me on this one.
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:58 pm Thanks Kris, What an increase in prices over the original MSRP. That’s amazing. Amboynia is a nice wood for knife handles, but the price puzzles me on this one.
Amboyna is often used on German made Bokers. They have made that pattern for a long time, not always called the mamba. Boker really sticks to their patterns. I also think they make the best factory lock back, outside of Japan. Here is a link to all the annual damascus series, you can see the similarity in their patterns of some time. Use google translate. 1992 specifically

https://www.boker.de/jahresmesser
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks for that link Kris, I bookmarked that one, it’s a good reference for those knives. Challenges me to read it in German to try and remember how much of the German language I still remember.
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

This is the newest Annual Damascus, designed by the well loved Raphael Durand. It is hard to get a custom made by him, very good maker,

https://www.bokerusa.com/annual-damast-2022-1132022dam
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That is a beautiful knife. A pretty price too! I’ve noticed that all the Boker knives made in Germany, actually made in Germany, have really gotten expensive here of late.
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:37 pm That is a beautiful knife. A pretty price too! I’ve noticed that all the Boker knives made in Germany, actually made in Germany, have really gotten expensive here of late.
I have noticed that too. Their higher end knives have always been expensive, but lately, by quite a bit.

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”