Need some help with identifying my knife

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
2high420

Need some help with identifying my knife

Post by 2high420 »

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, I feel lost lol. I recently bought some "junk drawer" boxes at an auction for a couple dollars. While sorting through them, I came across this small knife. On the base of both blades it reads...

H. BOKER'S
IMPROVED
CUTLERY

The handle measures 2⅜" long ¼" wide and appears to be made out of possibly bone, antler, or maybe I'm totally unsure lol, the smaller blade is 1⅛" long and the larger blade(if you can call it that) measures 1⅜". Any help with age, possible value, and purpose(I ask purpose because it's so small I feel an average man wouldn't have alot of use for such a small delicate appearing knife, I've misplaced it 3-4 times already lol) would be helpful. I'm still not sure what I want to do with it as of yet.
16491961558194116350514099634570.jpg
16491962515388255494409897396656.jpg
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Need some help with identifying my knife

Post by Papa Bones »

2high420 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:06 pm Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, I feel lost lol. I recently bought some "junk drawer" boxes at an auction for a couple dollars. While sorting through them, I came across this small knife. On the base of both blades it reads...

H. BOKER'S
IMPROVED
CUTLERY

The handle measures 2⅜" long ¼" wide and appears to be made out of possibly bone, antler, or maybe I'm totally unsure lol, the smaller blade is 1⅛" long and the larger blade(if you can call it that) measures 1⅜". Any help with age, possible value, and purpose(I ask purpose because it's so small I feel an average man wouldn't have alot of use for such a small delicate appearing knife, I've misplaced it 3-4 times already lol) would be helpful. I'm still not sure what I want to do with it as of yet.
Hello 2high420 and welcome to AAPK. That style and size of knife is usually called a pen knife. According to Goins' Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings, yours seems to be a H. Boker with a tang stamp that was used on knives from the late 1869 to 1914. If it is authentic and no blades have been replaced it should also have a Tree stamped on the back of all blades opposite of the tang stamp you show. Without seeing the knife up close it is hard to tell in the photos what the knife handles are made of. Could be bone, but almost looks like a newer material similar to celluloid. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me will show up to give you some more info.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Welcome here 2high420.
That's a nice little knife. I hope you don't loose it.
It doesn't look like the blades have had much use and they have long pulls. This is a good thing. ::tu::
It's a swell center and has long lined bolsters; a nice pattern.
Celluloid tends to shrink (sometimes) but your covers look stable. It may not be celluloid.
Oil the joints. It's just a handy, well made, little pocket knife for men or women.
If you sharpen it and carry it it will be your friend. ::nod::
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. As Smitty said, it’s a pen knife. The name comes from its early use to shape and sharpen quill (feather) ink pens for dipping into ink and used for writing, prior to,the invention of fountain pens. The blade is shaped for doing that job but the knives became so commonplace as to,be used for all sorts of other cutting and slicing tasks not requiring a large blade. Therefore the style remains popular to this day.

Because they are so common most do not have a lot of value, even older ones. You can do an advanced search on ebay for “pen knife” sold listings to find what comparable knives have sold for. It’s a useful little knufe if you want to carry it. If you value it, you won’t lose it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”