Is this Boker stockman made in USA?

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
RevolverGuy

Is this Boker stockman made in USA?

Post by RevolverGuy »

Recently started getting back into collecting Boker this year. I own a few older ones and bought one recently which has me stumped. I'm pretty sure this is a modern knife but the main blade is stamped USA and the tree shield has Solingen on it. It is reminiscent of the Boker USA knives from the 60s up to early 80s. The other side of the main blade has the model number 9885V, which was the stockman model for Boker USA (not sure what the V stands for?). Another strange thing is that the box it came in was marked 8573 BB Bone (brown bone). These are the same model as the older 9885 and also the same as the newer Boker stockman's which are 7474.

Just trying to figure out what I have here. Was this one where they were using leftover stock from the USA era? Maybe someone has some knowledge on this knife. Thanks in advance.
WP_20190913_09_16_46_Rich.jpg
WP_20190913_09_14_50_Rich.jpg
WP_20190913_09_15_05_Rich.jpg
WP_20190913_09_16_03_Rich.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is this Boker stockman made in USA?

Post by treefarmer »

Revolver Guy,
I believe it is a USA made knife, check this out: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... &mode=view
This was found in the Tang Stamp Charts in the Knife Related Q&A.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Revolver Guy,
The 9885V was a large frame (4") stockman pattern made in the USA. The 'V' indicates an imitation ivory handle.
The blade was originally intended to be in that knife.
Your knife was most likely made in Solingen in the early 1990s using left over USA parts.
8573 is the correct pattern for your knife, and the smooth brown bone was a staple in the Solingen made selection throughout the 1990s.

That is a well-traveled and beautiful knife. I like the smooth brown bone from that decade! ::tu::
The top knife is a 9885V from 1982. Note the different nail nick.
The top knife is a 9885V from 1982. Note the different nail nick.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Tee

Post by Tee »

I believe this knife is a Boker USA knife. It has a liner lock with a patent date of July 3, 1906. I have tried researching and found that Boker did patent the liner lock in 1906. I know the blade has been changed. But i was still wondering if it still had value because of how early it is. I do understand the blade being changed diminished the value. Can someone please help? :shock:
Money is just to show size
Money is just to show size
20190913_182232.jpg
20190910_221845.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I cannot comment specifically on your knife but once a blade has been replaced it looses it's value as a collectible. It can still hold interest, in this case because it shows an early example of a liner lock. People who want to collect this Boker pattern want an example with the original blades.
kj
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

The frame looks to be a Cattaraugus King of the Woods.
Roger
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

rangerbluedog wrote:The 9885V was a large frame (4") stockman pattern made in the USA. The 'V' indicates an imitation ivory handle.
The blade was originally intended to be in that knife.
Your knife was most likely made in Solingen in the early 1990s using left over USA parts.
Thank you Rangerbluedog. That is what I was suspecting but was not sure. Made in the USA and sent as leftover parts to assemble the knife in Solingen, Germany. It is the first one I have seen like it. The smooth brown bone looks great but is no longer in production. I will keep my eyes open to try and find other's like it.

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”