Some Boker Questions

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Some Boker Questions

Post by Quick Steel »

For 2019 I am giving some thought to collecting Bokers. I have only a few right now. I just ordered the rangerbluedog Boker book which will certainly help me make a decision. A review of what Boker is currently offering impresses me with the variety of traditional patterns, and more so, the variety of materials. They offer a seeming host of different woods. Besides stalwarts like Rosewood and Cocobolo there are woods I have never heard of tho perhaps they are common in Europe.

First question: It is my understanding that knives marked Tree Brand are all made in Solingen. Is that correct? I know some models are made elsewhere.

Second question: I have a Scout/Camping knife which impresses me with its exceptional quality. The others (two) appear to me as well made, very decent and serviceable knives. However, three knives are insufficient to judge the usual production quality. So, for those of you who collect Boker particularly German made, would you kindly give me your assessment of their usual level of quality, F&F.

Thanks in advance.
rangerbluedog

Re: Some Boker Questions

Post by rangerbluedog »

Quicky, I am a little biased, but I think you will enjoy collecting the Boker brand. The knives made in Solingen are of above average quality for a factory made knife. I don't think their lower priced knives are on par with what is coming out of GEC or Canal Street, but they don't miss by much. It appears that in Solingen currently, Boker is focusing on the high-end knives with damascus blades and exotic handle materials.
In my opinion, The old pre-war Boker knives from Solingen are top notch. There seemed to be a drop in quality in the early 1950s when the Solingen knife industry was trying to get back on its feet. The USA made Boker knives were also excellent, up until the 1970s when they went primarily to delrin handles.
I enjoy a little mystery, so the Boker brand really appeals to me. They were made in the USA for about 85 years, and they have been made in Spain, Italy, Argentina, and more recently in China as well. Most all are easy to identify the origin. Which leads me to question one.
The only way to be certain you have a Solingen made knife is the tang stamp is marked Solingen - or the shield nowadays. For some low-cost knives Boker has sourced semi-finished materials from Asia, which they are selling under the name of the "traditional" series. There is some level of finishing in Germany, but evidently not enough to legally claim the "SOLINGEN" stamp. These have a shield marked "GERMANY" under the tree. They sell in the $30 price range, so if you see a new Boker knife that cheap, look closely!
The BOKER PLUS knives are usually not made in Solingen, but they are making new and exciting patterns under this name brand, and partnering with popular designers. The youngsters seem to like these. BOKER MAGNUM knives are Asian made, and are definitely not for the collector crowd - they are primarily cheap user knives.
For question two: I may not be the proper judge. As I said, I think they are better than average. (I think the count is up to about 400 now) However, one can tell they are still making knives to use. I don't mind the occasional bit of blade rub, or a slight mark on the handle from a mis-aimed pin spinner. Some folks want perfection though.
I hope this helps!
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Blue, I truly appreciate your commentary and am looking forward to your book. One point. I understand now that a knife must be stamped Solingen to assure German production. Do I gather from that not to rely on the Tree Brand etch or shield; that those may turn up from other sources?
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

That is correct. Boker has started using the TREE BRAND etch on the Traditional series knives. Here is a pic from the 2017 catalog showing the Traditional Series. Note the tang stamp only says "Boker", no Solingen. You can't quite read it in this picture, but the handle shield has "Germany" under the tree, instead of "Solingen".
traditional.jpg
Boker still uses the TREE BRAND CLASSIC blade etch, with the frosted etching, on Solingen made knives. In fact, I think I have ONLY seen the frosted blade etch on Boker knives made in Solingen. So if it has a frosted blade etch, you're safe. Another popular blade etch Boker is using on Solingen made knives is the BOKER MANUFACTUR etch, like the knife shown at the bottom of this picture.
Etch.jpg
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Mason

Post by Mason »

Blue hit the nail on the head as always, and I would just add that Boker knives are top notch models with a fascinating history behind them.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you Blue. Very very useful info. And thank you also Mason for chiming in with your reassurance.

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”