Help describing this one...please.

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
MT-Vessel

Help describing this one...please.

Post by MT-Vessel »

Too long searching the web and AAPK’s older posts has left me no further ahead in my quest for descriptors. Is this a serpentine jack, a half whittler or a two blade stockman? Or? My guess for age is the 80’s or is it newer?
It is a Boker Tree Brand Classic 260 from Solingen, Germany.
Thanks in advance for any info,
JV
Attachments
D551FB0B-A935-4CDC-B7AF-3A51BFF96D27.jpeg
96669FAB-7FB8-4512-A72E-64EAB0123DAF.jpeg
Empty vessels make the most noise...
kootenay joe

Re: Help describing this one...please.

Post by kootenay joe »

It is NOT a "half whittler" because a 3 blade 2 spring knife with master blade bearing on both springs cannot be split into halves.
The frame is not a stock knife frame.
If over 3.5" it is a double end serpentine jack.
If 3.5" or less it is a serpentine pen knife.
kj
MT-Vessel

Post by MT-Vessel »

Thanks KJ.
One step further along the path to enlightenment.....
This knife is 3.5”. It only has one backspring. So, serpentine pen it is. :D
Here Is a photo of the classic 3 blade whittler arrangement you describe and a couple, from Tri City Knifeworks, showing that knife nomenclature may depend on the whim of the maker. As far as I can tell, the main blade has its own spring. ::shrug::
Thanks again...off to sharpen my serpentine pen!
JV
ps
AAPK to the rescue once again ::tu::
Attachments
642C794D-F030-4D43-B64E-2F729C5F832B.jpeg
50068855-F7AC-4E77-9E31-C82BD2AAF7E9.jpeg
F31EEE46-9F03-4A19-8E57-D97C3F5EAF9C.jpeg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I thought the exact same thing when I read KJ's post. Went to check the official Case site and a few other locations (not dealers).

Did you know you won't find a single example of a x208WH knife on Case's site, or any officlal company description using the phrase "half-whittler"?

I guess I"m gonna start having to refer to my A6208 as a "swell-center pen" going forward. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
MT-Vessel

Post by MT-Vessel »

I just found an image of a Boker catalogue page that describes the 260 as a large pen knife with clip and pen blades. KJ is right on the money! ::tu::
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

MT-Vessel wrote: Is this a serpentine jack, a half whittler or a two blade stockman?
It looks almost identical to a Case Mini Copperhead.

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

MT-Vessel wrote:I just found an image of a Boker catalogue page that describes the 260 as a large pen knife with clip and pen blades. KJ is right on the money! ::tu::
Yep, "large pen knife" is what Boker called it. Made in Solingen in the late 1970s. They made this same pattern in the 1990s, but with rosewood handles.
I've heard this pattern called a half-whittler before, but I think that is only because Boker made a whittler (pattern 280) that was the same size and shape, but with an additional blade.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Considering only the shape of the body, I would call it a wharncliffe. I have also seen that shape called a serpentine sleeveboard. So maybe a serpentine sleeveboard pen?
Mel
MT-Vessel

Post by MT-Vessel »

Thanks everyone and my, new to me, 1970s Boker Large Pen is happy with its identity. Although, give it a few drinks and it wants to be known as a Boker #280 Wanna-be, Copperheadish, Wharncliff-like, Half- Whittler, Serpentine Sleaveboard Pen knife. ::doh:: ::facepalm::
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

MT-Vessel wrote:Thanks everyone and my, new to me, 1970s Boker Large Pen is happy with its identity. Although, give it a few drinks and it wants to be known as a Boker #280 Wanna-be, Copperheadish, Wharncliff-like, Half- Whittler, Serpentine Sleaveboard Pen knife. ::doh:: ::facepalm::
:D LOL Don't forget "dog-leg" :D
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Names for most knife patterns go back 150 or more years mostly coming from Sheffield England. Knife manufacturers are in the business of selling knives, not maintaining historically correct names. They employ people to work at 'marketing' and this is where more imaginative, 'catchy' names arise. Case invented the term "half whittler" for their serpentine pen knife. This then confuses those who are not familiar with the established names for traditional knife patterns.
The significance is we want to know what the other guy is talking about. If there are different names for the same pattern, confusion can result.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

kootenay joe wrote:It is NOT a "half whittler" because a 3 blade 2 spring knife with master blade bearing on both springs cannot be split into halves.
The frame is not a stock knife frame.
If over 3.5" it is a double end serpentine jack.
If 3.5" or less it is a serpentine pen knife.
kj
Agree - I'd call it serpentine pen. And don't get me start d on the "half whittler" thing! :lol: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58556&p=670249&hili ... er#p670249

Mike I agree it's similar to a mini-copperhead. The mini-copperhead is also a serpentine pen, but with an extended bolster which is the unique characteristic of the mini-copperhead.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”