Any help dating and identifying model

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
Happy jack

Any help dating and identifying model

Post by Happy jack »

I recently took possession of this good looking Boker. Need help dating and identifying model, scale material, blade composition, German made of USA? I am unable to completely identify the very first line of the gang stamp.
Attachments
Boker
Boker
Secondary blade
Secondary blade
Main blade
Main blade
Tree stamp
Tree stamp
kootenay joe

Re: Any help dating and identifying model

Post by kootenay joe »

Boker's/Improved/Cutlery is an older marking of Boker knives sold in USA prior to WW I. I do not know if these knives were made in USA or from the Boker factory in Solingen Germany.
Knives imported into USA after 1891 were supposed to be marked with country of origin. It is possible your knife is pre 1891 and made in Germany, or after 1891 made in USA. Or, so goes what we have been told. Knife companies have always sub contracted to other knife manufacturers . Did Boker, with knife factories in USA & Germany, import their own unfinished knives into USA & then finish them and sell as a USA item ?
kj
Happy jack

Post by Happy jack »

Thanks kootenay joe for the additional information. The research knowledge of this forum is enlightening.
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Mark Zalesky's excellent article from KNIFE WORLD (now called KNIFE magazine) from 2009, lists both of these tang stamps as being used on U.S. made Boker knives from 1899-1920. Handle material is most likely ebony. The model number is a little more difficult to discern, but I'd say yours looks a lot like model 9694, shown in this 1914 catalog cut.
1914.jpg
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Happy jack

Post by Happy jack »

Thanks for the good information
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Glad to help, Bro.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Happy jack

Post by Happy jack »

I see in your advertisement brochure that the blades are etched with the 'tree brand'. My knife does not have that marking any idea if that marking was prior to my knifes origination? Was that blade marking only on knives made in USA? This investigation is getting very interesting.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Blade etches wear off fairly easily with use. On a well used knife such as your Boker, if you hold the blade at just the right angle you can sometimes see traces of the etch. Yours likely had an etch.
kj

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”