new Bokers quality

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
bcguire

new Bokers quality

Post by bcguire »

After carrying Schrades for most of my life l have just got my first Boker stockman.
l think it is a 1970s and I am really pleased with it. now i have started wondering how the current Boker knives compare to the old ones
I checked out the prices and they seem resonable.
has anyone have been using one as a work knife? how are they standing up?
I am planning on picking up a few more older Boker and any information on models to stay away from?

Thanks
Scott
alabama

Re: new Bokers quality

Post by alabama »

german bokers are good quality-stay away from plastic or celluloid handles...carbon steel is best if you want something easy to sharpen that will hold an edge..the new inexpensive german bokers look bad...high priced ones are good...
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I've owned a variety of more modern production Bokers and found them to be pretty decent quality for the most part. The Boker Plus line (which I believe is made in China) is the lower tier and generally it shows...although still fair enough for the price (IMO they're still better than Rough Rider).

I just picked up this Tree Brand Copperhead for $36 on eBay and I must admit, I'm impressed with the F&F, silky smooth action, perfect blade centering, solid liner-lock lockup...all is straight and true just as it should be and the single clip blade is razor sharp straight out of the box. I haven't carried or used it and don't plan to any time soon, but I'm confident that it would be perfectly adequate should I ever decide to do so.
P2250014.JPG
P2250017.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

That's a BEAUTY, Q!
Boker has been doing that grey bone - both smooth and feather-jigged like yours - since the early 1990s.
I love it!
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

Nearly four months late to the party, but better than not making it at all.

My dad has given my young son a small collection, which includes two recent Bokers (circa 2014) made in Solingen. Both the two-bladed jack-style Copperhead, similar to the one posted above, and the large folding hunter jack knife are excellent quality, judging from my relative inexperience. Tight and sharp blades (well, sharp enough anyway) evenly ground, beautiful bone handles, excellent fit and finish. In fact, I've carried the Copperhead some, leaving the factory edges on the blades.

I already have a lifetime supply of pocket knives, but I sure wouldn't mind a Solingen-made stockman or Congress.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Go for it UnderDawgAl. I will caution you to look closely before you buy. Boker now has knives that are not made in Solingen Germany but look very similar to those that were made there. You can tell the difference by looking at the shield. If it says Germany, it's not a Solingen made knife and won't be the same as you're acquainted with. If it's a Solingen made knife it will say so on the shield. The prices for these are still pretty reasonable for now, but I anticipate they will rise as fewer of the Solingen made knives remain on the market.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”