Boker nicker with deer blade etch

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
rangerbluedog

Boker nicker with deer blade etch

Post by rangerbluedog »

Het y'all,
Just scored this little beauty online. Don't know much about it, except it most likely was made in the 1980s-1990s. Can't decide if those are deer or elk.
Anybody ever seen one of these?
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
tongueriver

Re: Boker nicker with deer blade etch

Post by tongueriver »

Very nice! I would guess European Red Deer. ?
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I've never seen one of those before but it sure is nice. Very elegant to say the least. That's a great find. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

NICE find Ricky! I've had a couple of these over the years and still have one. They are not a knife you will see very often. I do have the original sheath for mine, but yours is the first one I've ever seen complete with the box. I always assumed the etching was of 2 deer, but after looking closer, I'm not sure if it's deer or elk either. Irregardless, that is a nice knife. I do think it's a little older than the1980's - 1990's. In my opinion, it's from the 1950's - 1960's era. I'm basing that on Alemania being etched on the blade. Here's a few pictures of mine for comparison's sake.
Attachments
117-1748_IMG.JPG
115-1554_IMG.JPG
115-1556_IMG.JPG
115-1555_IMG.JPG
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Haha, I thought if anyone had one it would be you!
The shape of the tree on the box is what got me to thinking 1980s. I don't recall seeing it shaped quite like that until the mid 1970s or so.
That is - assuming the box is original to the knife. ::hmm::

I am starting to think tongueriver is right, and the creatures in the etching are black forest red stag!
Attachments
553793587.jpg
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The images are as tr says, "European Red Deer" which are similar to our elk except a bit smaller. Even without the racks the body profile is not that of a deer.
Elaborate blade etches go back to 1800's on German short sword/long hunting daggers, but when did the modern looking etches of bucks, etc. first show up on smaller German hunting knives by Boker, Henckels, Wingen & others ?
I think it is rather recently like maybe 1960's ?
kj
p.s. the bull elk in picture above has a very atypical rack with lots of extra points. It is not a typical mature bull rack of 6 or 7 points per side.

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”