1988 Hawkeye Knife Collectors Genuine Pearl Whittler

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
rangerbluedog

1988 Hawkeye Knife Collectors Genuine Pearl Whittler

Post by rangerbluedog »

Just picked up this beautiful whittler. It was made in 1988 for the Hawkeye Knife Collectors club.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/hawkeyeknif ... e_internal
It's a 280 pattern whittler with genuine pearl handles. Fantastic! One of only 100 made.
IMG_4135.JPG
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
americanedgetech

Re: 1988 Hawkeye Knife Collectors Genuine Pearl Whittler

Post by americanedgetech »

VERY pretty Boker.
Nice catch! :D
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Thanks Ken!
-Blue
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Good looking knife. Too bad these commemorative knives never get used.
Ranger how about you whittle some sticks with it and report back with your opinion as to sharpness, edge holding etc.
The Schrade large clasp commemorative knives have very soft blades, they were not meant to be used. Makes me wonder about others although O.P. knife it should have a regular Boker tempering.
kj
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

LOL. I'd be skeered to try cutting with this one. I think it is probably 440C, which is decent stainless steel.
Boker made some other commemoratives that were 440A and 420 stainless steel, which isn't quite as good.
-Blue
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

rangerbluedog wrote:LOL. I'd be skeered to try cutting with this one. I think it is probably 440C, which is decent stainless steel.
Boker made some other commemoratives that were 440A and 420 stainless steel, which isn't quite as good.
Buck's recent USA standard line offerings are almost all 420HC, but the steel is generally considered good to excellent because of the fabled Buck heat treatment.

Regarding commemoratives in general, I have a few users (mostly NKCA/NKD&CA clubs knive, anniversary short runs, etc.) and all of them see to do the job just as well as a "regular" knife. The 1981 NKCA large Queen stag cigar in particular has that excellent Queen stainless and both blades will shave bone. The late 1970s Klaas NKCA knives have incredible carbon steel themselves.

I think that, in general, the rules for commemoratives apply as they do for regular knives: A good maker with a quality reputation is going to produce a good, usable knife. It's the "no-names" and mystery steels that you need to watch out for.

P.S. That whittler is a stunner. Maybe you'll find one that's already been put to stone and you can put its cutting ability to the test.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Blue that's a beautiful knife. ::tu:: I've never been reluctant to buy a club knife if it was one that appealed to me.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”