Anybody know the date on this Boker?

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Anybody know the date on this Boker?

Post by Colonel26 »

I just got this jumbo Congress and I was wondering if any of you Boker experts could tell me how old this one is?
IMG_0280.JPG
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
rangerbluedog

Re: Anybody know the date on this Boker?

Post by rangerbluedog »

Most likely 1980s Colonel.
Boker patented that trademark in 1971, but the catalogs never actually show that etch on the blade until the late 1980s.
Pattern should be 5474, closed length 4".
Yours is somewhat rare, because most of the 5474 patterns were made with ringed bolsters. They stopped using ringed bolsters on this pattern and its sister pattern the 5464, and replaced them with smooth bolsters sometime in the 1980s. Then, by the early 1990s they dropped the 5474 pattern entirely.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

rangerbluedog wrote:Most likely 1980s Colonel.
Boker patented that trademark in 1971, but the catalogs never actually show that etch on the blade until the late 1980s.
Yours is somewhat rare, because most of the 5474 patterns were made with ringed bolsters. They stopped using ringed bolsters on this pattern and its sister pattern the 5464, and replaced them with smooth bolsters sometime in the 1980s. Then, by the early 1990s they dropped the 5474 pattern entirely.
Thank ya sir. It's actually a skoosh over 4 inches. Does that make a difference? I surely appreciate the response. I'm not up on my Boker dates, but I surely do like em! ::tu::
IMG_0279.JPG
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Colonel26 wrote:
rangerbluedog wrote:Most likely 1980s Colonel.
Thank ya sir. It's actually a skoosh over 4 inches. Does that make a difference? I surely appreciate the response. I'm not up on my Boker dates, but I surely do like em! ::tu::

IMG_0279.JPG
Yes, actually it does make a difference. At 4 1/4" length, the pattern number is 5974, not 5474 that I thought before.
Age is still the same though, late 1980s. That one is a handful!
::tu::
-Blue
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thanks Bluedog! I like it a lot. I've been carrying it non stop since I got it. I think I finally have the blades like I like em. It's a shame they no longer make this one in Solingen. It's a fine knife.

I appreciate your help.
Robert E. Lee
Oldredbone67

Post by Oldredbone67 »

I picked up a Boker like his, except mine say tree brand classic and has 5464 on the blade . Are the handles made of delrin? I too really like the feel of the k ice in my hand and it just the right weight. Was this made in Germany or US ? Thanks
Attachments
Boker
Boker
Boker
Boker
20180123_185132.jpg
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Yep! Made in Solingen Germany. I believe that is delrin.
-Blue
Oldredbone67

Post by Oldredbone67 »

Thanks for the info

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”