Boker knife display

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
montemojo

Re: Boker knife display

Post by montemojo »

Thats a beauty Yehuda, you're going to enjoy hunting for the knives. I really enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment when I finished the Schrade. Have fun and good luck on your hunt!

Monte
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

montemojo wrote:Thats a beauty Yehuda, you're going to enjoy hunting for the knives. I really enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment when I finished the Schrade. Have fun and good luck on your hunt!

Monte
Looks like you have your work cut out for you with your display! It's a beast! When it's done, it'll be a serious accomplishment.
"Wise man say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

rangerbluedog wrote:yehuda, that's a good find.
Here's your pattern list from a 1981 Cooper/Boker catalog.
By this time, the USA made Bokers were being made in Statesboro Georgia, and they would have the TREE BRAND logo on the shield.
They only did this for about 3 years.
1981 catalog.jpg
1981camper1c.jpg
I have three knives that fit in the display, but they're all German made, none are Böker USA Georgia made knives. In my preliminary search, a lot of the patterns that will fit this display are German or older Böker USA. The correct knives seem to be a bit scarce or downright tough to find. My thoughts originally were to take the white display color to Royal Blue, keep the Böker Tree Brand logo red, redo the wood and fill it with the nicest knives I could find whether they be German or USA. is this sacrilege? I know keeping it original is the purist route but my way would be awful nice to look at.
IMG_20170318_235110.jpg
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

I enjoy looking at a full display case!
What's the old saying," Never let perfection get in the way of greatness".

or sumthin' like that! ::ds::

I can't wait to see it chock full o' Bokers.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Yehuda, either way I dont think you can go wrong. I would fill it with what I could find. Then as time goes by and you run across the era correct knives then replace them or not. Its a good looking display either way. ::tu::

Monte
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Here's one of mine. I keep it in the living room. It's the only display case I have that my wife likes. That's just because you can stick the knives in the styrofoam tree. The case came from the late 1980s, but the top five knives are Boker/Wiss LTD Editions from 1971-1974, and the bottom six knives are from Solingen, celebrating the 125th anniversary in 1994. Dog knife was made circa 1988-2001.
DSCN3386.jpg
-Blue
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Here's one more, but I have to keep it in the toy room.
The display case is from late 1940s-early 1950s, but the knives range from the 1920s to 1962.
DSCN3387.jpg
-Blue
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Those are awesome Blue, I have never seen a display with clips like in the 40's to 50's eradisplay. Now a question or two. On the display I have would I be correct in assuming the proper era knives would have a tree and model number stamped on the pile side tang of the master blade. Also what was used to attach the knives to the board on the display? One more, what does the "I" stand for in the model 9885I?

Thanks Monte
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Most of the knives during that era had both the model number and a tree stamp, but I've seen several with the model number stamp only. I think either would be correct. The 'I' in model 9885I, is for imitation pearl. Kind of like this one muskrat man has for sale in his AAPK store.
1488073974_45_143_1.jpg
I think the knives were held in place by a thin gage, dark colored wire (probably copper). It was wrapped around the knife, and twisted behind the display board to hold it tight.
-Blue
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

rangerbluedog wrote: I think the knives were held in place by a thin gage, dark colored wire (probably copper). It was wrapped around the knife, and twisted behind the display board to hold it tight.
Now would you use this type of wire or would you use something else? I know copper could make some unwanted marks if it were to tarnish. The proper knives are a lil hard to find in NOS condition and I plan to take my time with this project. I did notice one dealer that I know at the Dalton show this weekend had plenty. I would have bought some but being in that fenderbender on the way there. I didnt know what I was in for on the ride home.

Thanks Monte
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

rangerbluedog wrote:Here's one more, but I have to keep it in the toy room.
The display case is from late 1940s-early 1950s, but the knives range from the 1920s to 1962.
DSCN3387.jpg
I've seen both these displays for sale but I went with mine for the fitted cutouts. Perhaps down the road I'll get another..... Aww, who am I kidding??? When I finish this one I'll have to start another!! ::super_happy::
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

Snagged an 8288. It doesn't look mint but darn nice!
AirBrush_20170319211218.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

rangerbluedog wrote:The display case is from late 1940s-early 1950s, but the knives range from the 1920s to 1962.
$2.50 list on that half-Congress, I see.

Wanna double yer money? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the styrofoam tree is my favorite of your displays but this one is a very close second even half-full. Looking forward to seeing it complete. ::tu::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Yehuda, you will have that display filled up in a week. Thats a good looking knife. Its in better shape than the one I have. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: this is fun

Monte
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

It is fun huh!!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Yehuda: I vote for your new color scheme. It may not be pure, but it will look great.
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

Quick Steel wrote:Yehuda: I vote for your new color scheme. It may not be pure, but it will look great.
It will be downright beautiful. I want to do the color with velvet flocking, not painting. The more I think about it, my scheme will only enhance the value and collectability of the piece. And putting the best knives into it rather than the proper period knives will make it unbelievably desirable. I'm doing it! You talked me into it!! Game on!!
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

Found a very nice 9885. Half way there!
AirBrush_20170321213434.jpg
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Yehuda, you're going to be finished before you know it. Have you worked on the display it self? I haven't had the time. That 9885 looks good. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Monte
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

No. I'll get around to it. I'm​ not in a rush.
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

Four more to go!!!!

I have a problem don't I?!

I put my H Böker & Co's Improved Cutlery horn handle stockman in the display. I don't know if this will be it's permanent home, it's in a class all it's own, but it fits and it doesn't quite go with my collection of early Böker bone scale knives. It gives the display flavor.... we'll see.

AirBrush_20170324115128.jpg
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

rangerbluedog wrote:I enjoy looking at a full display case!
What's the old saying," Never let perfection get in the way of greatness".

or sumthin' like that! ::ds::

I can't wait to see it chock full o' Bokers.
Query. My display calls for a pattern #6384 and I've found a pattern #5252 that's absolutely beautiful. Are the patterns dimensions close enough for the #5252 to work in my display?
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

5252 is supposed to be about 1/4" longer than the 6384, so I don't think it will fit.
It's worth a shot though!
-Blue
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

rangerbluedog wrote:5252 is supposed to be about 1/4" longer than the 6384, so I don't think it will fit.
It's worth a shot though!
The seller says it's 3 1/4" and the hole for the 6384 is dead on 3 1/4"" so it'll be tight. The 5252 is blue bone, just lovely.

There's always this!!
IMG_20170325_233808.jpg
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

Last night I ordered the blue suede flocking kit for the display and I bit the bullet and bought the rest of the knives except for one that is unavailable, the #9908 dogleg jack. If anybody runs across one in NM or NOS, clue me in! If I can get that one, I'll have the display together and in the blue color scheme by next weekend!

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”