Boker knife display

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
montemojo

Boker knife display

Post by montemojo »

Picked this up today, I dont know much about it yet. I plan to fillit with the proper knives. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Do I need to fill it with american or german knives or both?
20170223_224623.jpg
Best thing about is that it was free ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::
DR_MAGOO

Re: Boker knife display

Post by DR_MAGOO »

Free ::woot:: is good ::ds::
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

A mix of American and German knives from the late 1960s through the 1970s would be correct for that display.
The nice thing is, the pattern numbers are already on the stickers. I have a picture of a similar display from the 70s.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 6122 times
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Thank you Blue, you are the man. It has some water damage. I plan to change the wood. The list of model numbers helps me out very much. I will also be looking for knives from the proper era in nm to mint condition. I was quite stumped because I couldnt find another like it to go by. I think this will keep me busy for a year or two. Here is a schrade display that took me about a year to complete
20170225_195429.jpg
Thanks Monte ::handshake::
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

^^That is so friggin cool!! Soooo jelly right now!!
"Wise man say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

You've inspired me to go this route with some of my knives. I bought a Böker display case from muskrat man that I'll spend time filling and I put this together tonight. Just some of my various loose knives, mostly Böker.
AirBrush_20170304225819.jpg
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Thats a beauty Yeluda, I have my eye on a schrade floor model display. But that kinda derails me from my new years resolution to concentrate on Miller Bros Meriden knives. The display also has a lil water damage. The owner wants 125 bucks for it. I tryed to trade him a couple of 350 chevy 4 bolt main engine blocks for it. But he wouldn't bite. I will probably get it anyway. What can I say this addiction gets the best of me sometimes. When I get it I'll be sure to post some pics.

Monte
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

montemojo wrote:Thats a beauty Yeluda, I have my eye on a schrade floor model display. But that kinda derails me from my new years resolution to concentrate on Miller Bros Meriden knives. The display also has a lil water damage. The owner wants 125 bucks for it. I tryed to trade him a couple of 350 chevy 4 bolt main engine blocks for it. But he wouldn't bite. I will probably get it anyway. What can I say this addiction gets the best of me sometimes. When I get it I'll be sure to post some pics.

Monte
I feel you bro. I have to control myself as well. This display includes my favorite brands and when the Böker display arrives it will be my priority for the next few months. The knives for the Böker case aren't over the top expensive but will still make a beautiful piece for my home. As for my early Bökers, I just finished my first custom box. I have eight more to make. This should keep me occupied and within budget for a while.
AirBrush_20170305105444.jpg
AirBrush_20170305121827.jpg
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

That box is beautiful, yea I was fishing in the bay looking to snag a few bokers myself. Ole ditwit in texas had afew that would fit in my Boker display but the fact that his prices were too high. Kinda put a bad taste in my mouth. I will keep looking. Good luck with your Boker display and please post pics when it arrives

Monte
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

Absolutely will post pics. You do the same! This'll be fun!
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Yehuda wrote:Absolutely will post pics. You do the same! This'll be fun!

Here is the floor model I picked up today
20170315_212202.jpg
20170315_212222.jpg
20170315_212238.jpg
Hope you like it. I know what I will be doing for a couple years. Now if I can get my hands on a miller bros display.

Monte
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Sorry fellows, I should have put all this in general knife discussion.

Monte
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

Needs a little TLC, but it's mine now! You won't recognize it when I'm done!!
AirBrush_20170317231702.jpg
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

yehuda, that's a good find.
Here's your pattern list from a 1981 Cooper/Boker catalog.
By this time, the USA made Bokers were being made in Statesboro Georgia, and they would have the TREE BRAND logo on the shield.
They only did this for about 3 years.
1981 catalog.jpg
1981camper1c.jpg
-Blue
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

rangerbluedog wrote:yehuda, that's a good find.
By this time, the USA made Bokers were being made in Statesboro Georgia, and they would have the TREE BRAND logo on the shield.
1981 catalog.jpg
1981camper1c.jpg
If you were any more awesome, there would be two of you!!!
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Thats a beauty Yehuda, you're going to enjoy hunting for the knives. I really enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment when I finished the Schrade. Have fun and good luck on your hunt!

Monte
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

montemojo wrote:Thats a beauty Yehuda, you're going to enjoy hunting for the knives. I really enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment when I finished the Schrade. Have fun and good luck on your hunt!

Monte
Looks like you have your work cut out for you with your display! It's a beast! When it's done, it'll be a serious accomplishment.
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

rangerbluedog wrote:yehuda, that's a good find.
1981 catalog.jpg
1981camper1c.jpg
I have three knives that fit in the display, but they're all German made, none are Böker USA Georgia made knives. In my preliminary search, a lot of the patterns that will fit this display are German or older Böker USA. The correct knives seem to be a bit scarce or downright tough to find. My thoughts originally were to take the white display color to Royal Blue, keep the Böker Tree Brand logo red, redo the wood and fill it with the nicest knives I could find whether they be German or USA. is this sacrilege? I know keeping it original is the purist route but my way would be awful nice to look at.
IMG_20170318_235110.jpg
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

I enjoy looking at a full display case!
What's the old saying," Never let perfection get in the way of greatness".

or sumthin' like that! ::ds::

I can't wait to see it chock full o' Bokers.
-Blue
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Yehuda, either way I dont think you can go wrong. I would fill it with what I could find. Then as time goes by and you run across the era correct knives then replace them or not. Its a good looking display either way. ::tu::

Monte
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Here's one of mine. I keep it in the living room. It's the only display case I have that my wife likes. That's just because you can stick the knives in the styrofoam tree. The case came from the late 1980s, but the top five knives are Boker/Wiss LTD Editions from 1971-1974, and the bottom six knives are from Solingen, celebrating the 125th anniversary in 1994. Dog knife was made circa 1988-2001.
DSCN3386.jpg
-Blue
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Here's one more, but I have to keep it in the toy room.
The display case is from late 1940s-early 1950s, but the knives range from the 1920s to 1962.
DSCN3387.jpg
-Blue
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Those are awesome Blue, I have never seen a display with clips like in the 40's to 50's eradisplay. Now a question or two. On the display I have would I be correct in assuming the proper era knives would have a tree and model number stamped on the pile side tang of the master blade. Also what was used to attach the knives to the board on the display? One more, what does the "I" stand for in the model 9885I?

Thanks Monte
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Most of the knives during that era had both the model number and a tree stamp, but I've seen several with the model number stamp only. I think either would be correct. The 'I' in model 9885I, is for imitation pearl. Kind of like this one muskrat man has for sale in his AAPK store.
1488073974_45_143_1.jpg
I think the knives were held in place by a thin gage, dark colored wire (probably copper). It was wrapped around the knife, and twisted behind the display board to hold it tight.
-Blue
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

rangerbluedog wrote: I think the knives were held in place by a thin gage, dark colored wire (probably copper). It was wrapped around the knife, and twisted behind the display board to hold it tight.
Now would you use this type of wire or would you use something else? I know copper could make some unwanted marks if it were to tarnish. The proper knives are a lil hard to find in NOS condition and I plan to take my time with this project. I did notice one dealer that I know at the Dalton show this weekend had plenty. I would have bought some but being in that fenderbender on the way there. I didnt know what I was in for on the ride home.

Thanks Monte

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”