GEC trip tomorrow

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
robpa

GEC trip tomorrow

Post by robpa »

I try to get to GEC monthly but dont always make it. going tomorrow(Monday) if anybody wants me to look for something let me know. I will buy it and charge what I pay + fuel and shipping costs. About 15 for fuel and I guess about 10 shipping. They dont always have a lot in the store and only latsest models after all their vendors have ordered. Im really going to talk to Bill about possibilities of a special order?? I dont know, maybe its that stuff I been putting in my pipe??
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: GEC trip tomorrow

Post by C-WADE7 »

I’d be interested in the Shaffer farm whittler if they have any, or a cotton sampler.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I hope it is a successful trip, keep us posted. ::nod::👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
robpa

Post by robpa »

Any of the Shaffer farm? They wont have the other I'd bet. Is a "S" knife OK? thats a 'store knife" which means they detected some minor flaw such as a perceived crack or minute voids in the bone. they are not seconds. joan, the lady who runs the place says they dont want anything coming back due to minot , questionable flaws so the stamp em with an S and discount them about 10-20 bucks. Even his son cant find why he stamped them 1/2 the time.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

robpa wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:40 pm Any of the Shaffer farm? They wont have the other I'd bet. Is a "S" knife OK? thats a 'store knife" which means they detected some minor flaw such as a perceived crack or minute voids in the bone. they are not seconds. joan, the lady who runs the place says they dont want anything coming back due to minot , questionable flaws so the stamp em with an S and discount them about 10-20 bucks. Even his son cant find why he stamped them 1/2 the time.
I tried looking to see what they just finished up and the whittler and sampler were on there. It’s a #59 they finished up. I’m game for the 39 Sheffield Jack if they don’t have a 59 also.
robpa

Post by robpa »

well, that didnt work out so good. I got there and reached into my pocket and, NO MONEY!. changed pants and forgot to grab the green. They did have 3 different handled whittlers on hand. The Harvester(hawkbill) will be released in about 2 weeks, he said to call on the 24th, and the Cotton sampler soon after. iBill showed me the other than rosewood handled knife but Im sworn to secrecy on what the material is. They are not doing any contract work due to lack of people. nobody can get help, not that will work and doesnt have their head in their behind.
I am going back the end of the month if my horses are sold. My buddy did grab a Sheffield Jack in like a appaloosa bone, real nice.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

robpa wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:50 pm well, that didnt work out so good. I got there and reached into my pocket and, NO MONEY!. changed pants and forgot to grab the green. They did have 3 different handled whittlers on hand. The Harvester(hawkbill) will be released in about 2 weeks, he said to call on the 24th, and the Cotton sampler soon after. iBill showed me the other than rosewood handled knife but Im sworn to secrecy on what the material is. They are not doing any contract work due to lack of people. nobody can get help, not that will work and doesnt have their head in their behind.
I am going back the end of the month if my horses are sold. My buddy did grab a Sheffield Jack in like a appaloosa bone, real nice.
Sorry you forgot your wallet, that’s a terrible feeling especially if you don’t remember where you had it last. If you have a chance to make it back, and don’t mind shoot me a pm.
tomasf
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by tomasf »

robpa wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:50 pm well, that didnt work out so good. I got there and reached into my pocket and, NO MONEY!. changed pants and forgot to grab the green. They did have 3 different handled whittlers on hand. The Harvester(hawkbill) will be released in about 2 weeks, he said to call on the 24th, and the Cotton sampler soon after. iBill showed me the other than rosewood handled knife but Im sworn to secrecy on what the material is. They are not doing any contract work due to lack of people. nobody can get help, not that will work and doesnt have their head in their behind.
So will there be a third Harvester and Cotton Sampler variant? Or is the secret material only related to the Harvester?
Have you seen any of the R9511 Remingtons?
robpa

Post by robpa »

samme material on both the knives. didnt see any remingtons in the show case. Neither bill nor Joan mentioned a 3rd. Prices wont be set until they are ready to ship I guessed as well. best part of goin there, other than grabbing a new knife, is looking at the hundreds of knives hanging on the wall. pretty awesome. And they are really great people.
centennialknives
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by centennialknives »

So you can go to the GEC factory and buy knives there? Is it a small selection or ? I've only started a deep dive into their offerings and would love to go -- I foresee a road trip tin the future!
Robert
Washington, IL (near Peoria)
"Always keep an edge on your knife 'cause a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life." - Corb Lund
robpa

Post by robpa »

Yes, they have a limited number of knives in the store.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

There were dozens of GEC tubes at the SVKCC show, some reasonably priced and others not.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
maudeads

Post by maudeads »

It's cool that you try to make it to GEC monthly, and even cooler that you're offering to look for something for us! I might take you up on that offer one day.
I totally get what you mean about the store not always having a lot and only carrying the latest models after their vendors have ordered. But it's worth a shot talking to Bill about the possibility of a special order. You never know until you ask, right?
Speaking of possibilities, have you ever thought about going on a safari? Recently, I've been on an excellent trip with https://altezza.travel/en/tanzania-safari and I have to recommend it to anyone.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”