GEC 86 2 Acorn Barlow

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

GEC 86 2 Acorn Barlow

Post by edge213 »

I was unable to get one of the new GEC 86 2 Acorn Barlow. I'm to slow.
Could someone please tell me what these were originally selling for?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cudgee

Re: GEC 86 2 Acorn Barlow

Post by cudgee »

edge213 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:33 pm I was unable to get one of the new GEC 86 2 Acorn Barlow. I'm to slow.
Depending on where you purchased from, i think i saw them for about $107.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

edge213 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:33 pm I was unable to get one of the new GEC 86 2 Acorn Barlow. I'm to slow.
David, I agree with cudgee.
The knife connection . com had them for $109.95 (see below site)
https://theknifeconnection.com/great-ea ... ural-bone/
I gave them my email address to notify me when in stock. (I know, fat chance)

Traditional Pocket Knives . com also had them for sale last week in their crazy 🤪 8:00 PM sale. You know the one, you put it in your shopping basket, proceed to the check out, and your informed that they are "SOLD OUT!"

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Old Folder wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:48 pm

Traditional Pocket Knives . com also had them for sale last week in their crazy 🤪 8:00 PM sale. You know the one, you put it in your shopping basket, proceed to the check out, and your informed that they are "SOLD OUT!"

Dan
Dan, the Traditional Pocket Knives drop, they were all gone in LESS than 30 seconds. I sat here and watched and timed it. :) But you can purchase one in the members store if you like, only $483, thought you would be interested. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ::tu::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

cudgee wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:23 pm

Dan
Dan, the Traditional Pocket Knives drop, they were all gone in LESS than 30 seconds. I sat here and watched and timed it. :) But you can purchase one in the members store if you like, only $483, thought you would be interested. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ::tu::

Wow! $110 to $483. I didn't think we had flippers on AAPK ::mdm::
Some have no scruples ::td::
David
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

cudgee wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:23 pm

Dan
I just looked it up in our Members Store, funny thing is someone will actually buy it. (Not Me!)

A few months ago Traditional Pocket Knives changed their current buying process and went into a lottery. I won the GEC #152121 Huckleberry Boys Knife. The following month I won the GEC #152221 Urban Jack only because the original winner somehow defaulted and TPK redrew the numbers.
Now, they have went back to the old way. :x

Collecting Knives.jpg
Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Coinfolio
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Coinfolio »

So to get GEC knife you have to go through some type of sniping process at one of their distributors , or buy in the secondary market on ebay? This sniping is similar to the U.S. mint for scarce coin issues. Many times there are people that end up with multiples and then there are others that get none. Since the mintage numbers are much higher (even though the issue is scarce, it's all relative) there are times when anyone that gets online when the issue is live can get one. The mint publishes when things are going live, how do you know when GEC knifes are going to be live? Since there is such a small number issued it seems like a lottery would be the only fair way to distribute, otherwise it's whoever has the inside track or fastest computer wins every time.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

I appreciate what Mike at CK does with the drops and have been lucky enough to grab a few that way but since TPK moved away from the lottery system he had going you have to be in the right place at the right time with excellent signal when Mike sends his notification.

The latest drops have been gone extremely fast, I'm just glad there hasn't been anything I couldn't live without.
Trace
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Coinfolio wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:28 pm So to get GEC knife you have to go through some type of sniping process at one of their distributors , or buy in the secondary market on ebay? This sniping is similar to the U.S. mint for scarce coin issues. Many times there are people that end up with multiples and then there are others that get none. Since the mintage numbers are much higher (even though the issue is scarce, it's all relative) there are times when anyone that gets online when the issue is live can get one. The mint publishes when things are going live, how do you know when GEC knifes are going to be live? Since there is such a small number issued it seems like a lottery would be the only fair way to distribute, otherwise it's whoever has the inside track or fastest computer wins every time.
Most GEC dealers have a 'mail out' list you can be on. They send you a notice 24-72 hours ahead of the 'drop' telling you the exact time they will become available. They often sell out within 1-2 minutes. To be successful you need to be already logged into PP and have very fast high speed internet which is not available in many locations even though it is still called "high speed".
I do not have fast enough high speed internet so i cannot score even though i am on the dealer site from the first second sales start. It has been about 3-4 years since i was able to get a new GEC from a dealer.
kj
Coinfolio
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Coinfolio »

Thanks roland. It's back to having a faster internet than the next guy. Appreciate the explanation.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Available now on SMKW.com
rust orange barlow.JPG
Nate

Post by Nate »

And they are gone...
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

8 minutes ago was sitting at my computer when an email came through from a retailer with another drop of the GEC Acorns, bone and micarta, literally before my eyes. Clicked it on, already gone, now that is fast. ::woot::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Well wait until morning, maybe you can buy one from an AAPK store for over 4 times the original cost ::dang:: ::dang::
David
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

thumbnail_20211027_135020.jpg
thumbnail_20211027_135033.jpg
thumbnail_20211027_140422.jpg
thumbnail_20211027_135146.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”