A new appreciation for GEC’s

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A new appreciation for GEC’s

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

By now probably everyone knows I have been selling a collection of 92 GEC knives. I have sold a number of GEC knives over the years but never this many at once. After handling close to 80 knives and examining and photographing each one in detail, I now have a much better understanding of the love of GEC knives. Two things that stand out to me the most are the centering and the run ups. Both are amazing. I don’t think I have seen a single knife that wasn’t centered in the closed position, even multi-bladed knives. Also the run-up, or as some call it, the break, where the blade and back-spring meet, is very tight. Not as tight as the Japanese Moki’s, but honestly, few knives are. But I have been impressed with this feature on almost all the GEC knives I have handled.
The fit and finish is as good as it gets, consistently.
Certain patterns have consistently good handle material. The Buffalo Jacks have some of the best stag I’ve seen on knife after knife. Just look on Ebay at the 44’s for sale that are stag and notice how nice all the stag is. The ones from this collection were exceptional. I’m keeping one that I just can’t let go.
The coloring on GEC bone handled knives is much more consistent from knife to knife and front to back than any other knife made in the USA. That may be too bold of a statement but when I compare these to Case knives, Case doesn’t come close.
Certain patterns do have snap that is too light. The 38 specials and the 97’s have snap that is less than impressive.
The boys knives are my favorites. I like the all steel construction with no brass on them. Plus the size is just right.
Just a few thoughts, hope you find it worth reading. Share your thoughts about what you like about GEC knives.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Re: A new appreciation for GEC’s

Post by kootenay joe »

I fully agree with what you say Mark. What impresses me most is the consistency. Having bought new Case and Queen knives in the past, i had to hope the one i received would not have any major issues, but about 1 in 3 or 1 in 4, did. And it was very rare to get one in which every aspect was 'just right'. So i began to buy Rough Rider knives instead because they were consistently very good. I never received even one with a major issue.
Now consistent high quality has returned to knife manufacturing in USA. Pretty well every GEC knife is 'right on' in all aspects. I no longer worry about receiving a poor example. GEC quality and consistency is as good as it gets, top notch all the way.
kj
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

From what I remember ( when knife shows were still going on before COVID), GEC
knives were always looking almost perfect. Case can be good but GEC always
seems to be perfect.

Bob
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

I have always sought specific years of Queen's / Schatt & Morgans once I had learned that Bill Howard was there those years. It's amazing what a difference there was compared to after he had left. I would have to say that his GEC's are even better. Bill knows how to make a quality product consistently at a fair market price. Not only is he a master cutler, but a good business man.
-Tim
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thanks kj, Bob and Tim.
Here are several examples of the centering. Even when you have a smaller blade separated by a liner it’s also centered. That takes effort to put out knives like this, I never paid much attention to this before, but after doing this day after day and knife after knife, you notice a pattern developing.
Attachments
532861CD-E7AD-4CE1-91D6-2FEB28F76575.jpeg
9D3CF07D-0202-4920-A03C-490071467269.jpeg
D57CE3CE-9185-4E95-96ED-BF9242A68BC4.jpeg
CAA88410-88DB-41E4-B993-E09516D5999B.jpeg
6DA9200E-8683-4401-9C91-65AF56F6ED06.jpeg
4055E3FD-2A1F-4FF8-997B-5732643E8083.jpeg
D9251FA4-834F-4B0E-8B66-AEADFA5614F1.jpeg
62348999-EA44-43B7-BF53-D1186690ADD9.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”