Less Interest in GEC Knives ?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Less Interest in GEC Knives ?

Post by kootenay joe »

This GEC forum is far less 'busy' than it was a year or so ago. There used to be lots of posts on every upcoming release and then lots of pictures as people received their newest GEC. But now there are very few new posts being made here.
Has your interest in GEC knives peaked and now declining a little ? Do you find the recently made GEC knives less appealing than the earlier patterns ?
Why is there now so much less activity in this GEC forum ?
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Less Interest in GEC Knives ?

Post by JohnR »

In my case it is the reality of not being able to get new releases so I have cut way back on acquiring new GEC's. There have also been several recent knives that I had little interest in like the ones with beard combs.
I don't think there is less interest, every run pretty much sells out in seconds.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Collectors are spending less time with this forum than we did a year ago because we've been vaccinated and can get out in public more. Also, in my case, GEC has not been doing much with multiple blade knives that are at least 4" closed.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

My interest in GECs has not gone down. Cost and availability has me purchasing less though.
I did just recently purchase a very nice 97 Yellow Rose from SSK/Mark for a very fair price.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I think part of the reason is that the one member who was cheerleading on every release passed away. I miss his posts that kept me up to date on what and when a new release was coming.
I have cut back on my purchases as well. It’s been extremely difficult getting new releases. Plus some of the dealers have raised prices so much that I have stopped purchasing from them. I have been buying more from Ebay when it comes to new releases, the prices on some aren’t that far off from what some of the dealers are charging right out of the gate and I don’t have the hassle of fighting to check out with a knife I put in my basket. I’ve never had a knife disappear at check out on Ebay. For me it’s worth paying extra to not have that hassle.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, very helpful post. I think you are right that the 'circus' of trying to get a new release from a dealer has resulted in many of us not even trying.
And i think "Onearmbladejunkie" is the member you say has passed away ?
I did not know this and am saddened to hear it. He was a most enthusiastic GEC supporter.
kj
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

JohnR wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:01 pm There have also been several recent knives that I had little interest in like the ones with beard combs.
The last GEC I bought was the 82 Possum Skinner. After that, there really hasn't been much that I'm interested in either so I definitely see your point.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:25 pm I think part of the reason is that the one member who was cheerleading on every release passed away. I miss his posts that kept me up to date on what and when a new release was coming.
I have cut back on my purchases as well. It’s been extremely difficult getting new releases. Plus some of the dealers have raised prices so much that I have stopped purchasing from them. I have been buying more from Ebay when it comes to new releases, the prices on some aren’t that far off from what some of the dealers are charging right out of the gate and I don’t have the hassle of fighting to check out with a knife I put in my basket. I’ve never had a knife disappear at check out on Ebay. For me it’s worth paying extra to not have that hassle.
You totally nailed it, Mark: the hassle and uncertainty of the frantic lolly scramble that has become the norm with nearly every new GEC release has totally turned me off. Also, you can get a one-of-a-kind, custom knife made-to-order (including: pattern, type of steel and handle material) from a number of very good bladesmiths for roughly the same amount that many rare, hard-to-find GECs sell for on the secondary market. (Check out 3FingerMac's AAPK store for some fine examples.)
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:04 pm Mark, very helpful post. I think you are right that the 'circus' of trying to get a new release from a dealer has resulted in many of us not even trying.
And i think "Onearmbladejunkie" is the member you say has passed away ?
I did not know this and am saddened to hear it. He was a most enthusiastic GEC supporter.
kj
I believe that is the one, I couldn’t remember the name but that sounds correct. I remember reading that in a post several months ago, maybe someone else can confirm?
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Could the bubble that resulted in all those crazy secondary market prices have burst?
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

GEC activity has been down on a few forums. I’m still interested, their knives are hard to get and the high prices turn me off. I don’t have a go to dealer and most dealers aren’t even listing GECs and the ones that do except for 3 top notch dealers that I know of are still offering fair pricing all other dealers are flipper prices or over retail. I can see a vintage GEC or SFO over priced but a new knife NO. I don’t think things will change anytime soon.
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

The last GEC I bought was a Little Rattler on 11/7/20. I've been gradually losing interest in GEC for a few years but currently, I've lost almost all interest. Lately I seldom even click on topics that have GEC in the title but I clicked on this one because it sounded like something I could relate to.

GEC makes excellent knives. I don't blame them for my lack of interest because it's common for me to lose interest in something after awhile. For me personally, GEC was just a passing phase like many other things have been throughout my life. I kind of saw it coming many years ago.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

cody6268 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:53 pm Could the bubble that resulted in all those crazy secondary market prices have burst?
Good question ! and the next few months might reveal the answer.
So far GEC is able to sell every knife they make despite a hefty and recent price increase.
I find the earlier GEC's (2006- ~2018 ?) to be more interesting than the more recent releases. I think many of these earlier knives will continue to get 2-3 times their original price particularly those with ivory or mammoth handles. This would be less than some recent sales in the $600-$800 range. So not exactly a 'burst bubble', but i do think there will be a decrease from these very high prices.
I now have about 20 GEC's and i really like every one of them but as others have said i have not had much interest in most of the recent releases. I did buy a 380321 which is an exceptionally fine knife & pattern but it is the only 'recent' one for me.
I have not totally lost interest but it definitely has declined. Seems many here feel the same.
kj
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

Gauging by the participation of folks in GEC related Facebook groups, I don’t think popularity has waned. Maybe just less interest in AAPK in general? The GEC Rendezvous is coming up in a couple weeks and I’m expecting it to be the largest attended in the history of the company. I think GEC interest is at an all time high at the moment.
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Probably all the AAPK forums are less busy as things kind of get back to normal and people are not trapped indoors behind their computers. Every morning when I check the new posts, many times there are fewer than in the past months.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I have been wondering the same thing lately, seems to be less action on AAPK, you have given a very good reason why this may be so.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Buckibbq wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:33 pm Gauging by the participation of folks in GEC related Facebook groups, I don’t think popularity has waned. Maybe just less interest in AAPK in general? The GEC Rendezvous is coming up in a couple weeks and I’m expecting it to be the largest attended in the history of the company. I think GEC interest is at an all time high at the moment.
I don't 'do' Facebook so this is new info for me. And i think Facebook is likely a better indicator of popularity of GEC knives than is AAPK which is a much smaller and more selective group of people.
So based on this information GEC knives are still in high demand even though the interest here at AAPK has lessened. Sounds like the bubble has not burst but is still going strong.
Buckibbq, thank you for your helpful post.
kj
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

My interest in GEC hasnt gone down. I've been able to get most of the ones I want with out having to go to the secondary market. I never have posted very much here as when I'm on AAPK I'm usually more focused on the older knife companies and forget GEC has a forum here. ::dang::
David
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

My interest in GEC in general has never been particularly strong. I love most of the GECs I own, but because I carry / use all the knives I own I am only drawn to the patterns and handles that work for me as EDCs, and those are few. Just as well I guess, since my wallet screams obscenities at me every time I buy one.

I do think they’re top shelf tools, I just wish they had a few more offerings that appealed to me, and were a little easier to obtain.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

GEC have announced a new upcoming release, an #86 Angus Jack in a dark and light ebony. Will be interesting to see how popular this model is. It has a sheepsfoot and small spear blade, after a few of their latest releases being fairly easily available to anyone who really wanted one this will be very interesting. Some people were put off by the prices of their last 2 releases according to posts i read. I suspect this may be different, it is probably the first time they have released a really traditional knife under their own brand for a while now. But that is only my thoughts. ::doh:: :)

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”