74 Free-For-All

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Iowaboy

74 Free-For-All

Post by Iowaboy »

So C. Risner is going to dump all four GEC 74s onto the internet at 8 PM Eastern tomorrow, setting up a lot of click-happy losers, and a few winners.

I'll be there, though I don't have high hopes. Getting through checkout once they're "in" your cart is when I usually get waylayed and the knife disappears.

Pretty cool though for GEC that their products, at least most patterns, have more buyers than knives as soon as they hit the market.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 74 Free-For-All

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well if you're planning to try and buy from Risner, be sure you're not doing it from Internet Explorer. I've discovered Risner's website will not let you complete a purchase if you are running Internet Explorer. Had to use Chrome.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Good luck to all participating, hope you get your early gift from Santa. ::tu::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I wish GEC would go to some kind of format...like movie theater releases. Get all of the knives out...then have a drop date and time...across the board...at all dealers. Seems a handful of folks keep ending up with multiple knives, from each drop somehow.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

It is only the first three #74s that was released. A batch of Northfield #23LL Antique Autumn Natural bone knives will be the fourth choice. I will be sweating it out for a Sambar Stag #74.
Iowaboy

Post by Iowaboy »

You are correct, thank you for clarifying that. I saw four knives and didn't follow through to notice the bottom one was a 23. Short attention span gets me every time.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

How did you all go with the C. Risner drop, i notice they still have some of the #23 still available.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I went straight for an Ironwood and had it, wait for it, until the checkout was completing and suddenly it was out of stock. Did they only get 2 to sell?
I don’t know how I could have worked through the checkout any faster. I think TKC is the only dealer that let’s you keep a knife that you put into your cart. If all the dealers would do that, you would have a better buying experience.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

The ironwood was always going to be the one everyone went for and put into their cart, so you were up against it there. I reckon apart from the #23 they were all gone in under 20 seconds, probably closer to 10 seconds.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Yep, got through the checkout, in about a minute. "Sold Out". Same old story.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
knife_fan

Post by knife_fan »

I think I was at check out in like 20 seconds, still sold out.
Iowaboy

Post by Iowaboy »

Same here, "in" my cart but before checkout completed gone. I'll see if I can snag a burlap micarta Tidioute from another distributor.
Onearmbladejunkie

Mr. Frank emailed me, " Do you want a Black Plum jigged #74 Mustang knife?". Somebody opted out at the last minute and that was a goofy question. My invoice is paid and the knife is on the way. My Brown Burlap micarta #74 knife is superb. My first GEC#74 knife. The GEC#74s open like butter. The GEC#74 is the perfect sized EDC knife. Franks Classic Knives Rocks.
578454_398543633509428_1863140149_n.jpg
578454_398543633509428_1863140149_n.jpg (12.44 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I tried checking out at TKC, had 8 different Ironwoods in the cart at 8 different times and every time I got back from PayPal it was gone. I guess I was wrong about TKC letting you keep the knife you put into your cart. I talked with one of these companies earlier this year, it might have been DLT, that was letting you do this. Maybe none are now.
After seeing all the ironwoods that TKC just put up, there are some pretty bland looking ironwood handles on these. Some have very nice patterns and coloration but others are just all dark or just all light and not like the handles in the stock photos at all. Not sure I want to buy an ironwood blind without seeing the handles first. But how can you do that when you can’t even keep it in the cart for 15 seconds? Want to know why some people flip these GEC’s so shortly after they get them? This might be one very good reason. I have sold some that I bought in the blind and was very disappointed with the coloring. This is especially true on the camel bone and I have had some ironwood knives that were disappointing when I got them. When you pay this much for a knife, you ought to be able to pick out the handles that you want.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I guess the third time is the charm. Just got an Ironwood from DLT. Bought it in the blind so I hope it’s got good grain and color.
I struck out at KSF today as well. I think DLT is the one that let’s you keep it if you get it in your cart. I didn’t do anything different than I did on the other two sites but I was able to get one this time.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

One of the sites had 1000 on their email notification list, and had 29 knives, if you are a gambling man they are odds of 35/1, very slim probability. Glad for all you that were successful. Now for the wait. ::tu::
Onearmbladejunkie

74-ARIZONA.jpg
74-BLK-PLUM.jpg
74-BROWN-BURLAP.jpg
74-SAMBAR-STAG (1).jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

NOT MY PHOTO ! SANTY CLAUS IS REAL ! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY !
91eQN4a.jpg
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

I don’t get it guys, you work hard to get your money ,then have to fight to spend it with this company. In a way your all feeding into by trying to spend way to much in 20 seconds ,for a knife.
Am sure I’ll get some crap over this but come on, its a knife.
Do like GEC and own a few from 2008 thru 2014. Great knives. But no way ,in my mind, can I justify the cost, and all the crap you are going thru. It must be the thrill of the chase for some. And then you got the guy who gets 5 of them and triples the price!!? How does that happen ,hmmmm, let’s guess.
Good luck with all your GEC purchases and thanks for letting me vent a little.
Take care ,stay safe. Merry Christmas.
JP
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Ripster wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:22 am I don’t get it guys, you work hard to get your money ,then have to fight to spend it with this company. In a way your all feeding into by trying to spend way to much in 20 seconds ,for a knife.
Do like GEC and own a few from 2008 thru 2014. Great knives. But no way ,in my mind, can I justify the cost, and all the crap you are going thru. It must be the thrill of the chase for some. And then you got the guy who gets 5 of them and triples the price!!? How does that happen ,hmmmm, let’s guess.
Good post ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:22 am I don’t get it guys, you work hard to get your money ,then have to fight to spend it with this company. In a way your all feeding into by trying to spend way to much in 20 seconds ,for a knife.
Well vented. No faeces from me. And a Merry Christmas to you. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :) :) :)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well said Rip.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

These sold out at around $100 on average in less than 5 minutes. I'm on the email list and decided to follow along just to witness the malay. I had a Burlap Micarta in my cart and tried to add the plum bone too, which I wasn't able to do using the email links. Then I tried to pay for the one I had and both were sold out. Didn't bother me because I was just experimenting with it.

But just remember these sold for around $100 new. Not $200+.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:37 pm These sold out at around $100 on average in less than 5 minutes. I'm on the email list and decided to follow along just to witness the malay. I had a Burlap Micarta in my cart and tried to add the plum bone too, which I wasn't able to do using the email links. Then I tried to pay for the one I had and both were sold out. Didn't bother me because I was just experimenting with it.

I'm sure the asking prices will be over $200.
Just go to the AAPK stores and look at the prices the flippers are asking.
Stupid prices.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

edge213 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:54 pm
1967redrider wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:37 pm These sold out at around $100 on average in less than 5 minutes. I'm on the email list and decided to follow along just to witness the malay. I had a Burlap Micarta in my cart and tried to add the plum bone too, which I wasn't able to do using the email links. Then I tried to pay for the one I had and both were sold out. Didn't bother me because I was just experimenting with it.

I'm sure the asking prices will be over $200.
Just go to the AAPK stores and look at the prices the flippers are asking.
Stupid prices.
Well over $200 on some of them.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”