What are the most popular GEC patterns?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
HighPlains

What are the most popular GEC patterns?

Post by HighPlains »

What do you think the most popular GEC patterns are?

I realize that the most “populous” patterns (those with high production numbers) will always have an advantage. As in, Grinnlings and Gepettos would probably be a lot more popular if there more than just a few hundred of them.

I would think #15’s are probably a big contender for 1st place.

What else? Maybe some of the other jacks like 77’s and 85’s.

I think the new #86’s will have a lot of potential to become hall of famers.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What are the most popular GEC patterns?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Anything with Charlie Campania's name attached to it. That's an observation, not a criticism.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

I think you pretty much answered your own question. One thing that I have learned is that there is much diversity in likes, and its great that there are so many patterns to choose from. Can't beat the #15's, & #77's. I am partial to these also:
Grinling Pair 2.JPG
#29 Pair.JPG
Willamette 2.JPG
-Tim
HighPlains

Post by HighPlains »

Beautiful 38’s, FarSide. I wouldn’t mind seeing the grinds on those if you have pics handy.

Some patterns are surprisingly not as popular as one might think. For example the 44’s were released in enough abundance that nearly anyone could have one in nearly any trim. And their virtues are endless: released in all popular covers (Blackwood, bone, Micarta, stag), “perfect” edc size, excellent blade pairing, and with some of the best walk-and-talk of recent releases. They don’t seem to get much love.

A true miss seems to be the 97’s. They are a dime a dozen on the auction site. I think that it was the weak action on such a large blade that killed them. I know it did for me. I dumped all of mine the week I got them and don’t miss them at all. But then again, I will never part with my beartrap 23’s, so perhaps I’m an outlier.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Watching ebay GEC auctions will show which patterns get the highest bidding. It would need at least one year of 'watching' so that those that had a 2 person bidding war don't skew the amounts too far off.
Also some of the most desirable GEC's rarely show up on ebay, e.g. #38 Whittler.
Very good thread idea. I would like to have a better idea of which patterns are the most highly sought after.
Some, or all ?, of the Charlie C. "Tom's Choice" Barlows always sell high, over $300..
Hope we get some good input here so that after a few pages we will have a good idea of relative ranking by 'popularity'.
kj
HighPlains

Post by HighPlains »

Good insights KJ.

Maybe I will l restate my question. For the purposes of this thread, I think that most desirable/highest/most highly sought make a different category. Campagnas, 38 Grinnlings, stag 85s, 2006 23s are all rare and mostly only for the most committed and elite of GEC collectors.

I guess what I’m trying to get a sense for is what are the beloved everyman’s knives. Those that are desired by many but also have reasonably good retail accessibility.

Again I think the 15 probably defines the type. Sure, some TCs and Lick Creeks will reach the stratosphere on eBay, but I’m pretty sure there are still lots of bail-and-chains and maybe even nice Cripple Creeks on dealer shelves for those who want a 15.

And again, I still wonder why the 44 (both excellent and available) doesn’t share similar renown. Perhaps its gunstock profile is just too “unique” for mass appeal compared to the simplicity of the 15s regular jack handle die.

Thoughts?
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Fortunately my favorite GEC knives, 82 Dixie Stockmans, are not popular. They were made December 2018 and still linger at retailers. I could take my time picking out stag and not have to pay through the nose. The last time I looked the more pocketable 66 Stockmans made about a year earlier were also still lingering in retail inventories. While I'm only way out on the fringes of GEC collecting I'll offer one observation. As a group GEC collectors want less blades.

I like large Coke Bottles so early last year I looked forward to the 97s. Two things killed my interest. First and most important, their recurved blades can not be sharpened on flat bench stones. Second, reports of weak snap and factory reps claiming that the soft springs were intentional and hence not covered under warranty. The longer a blade is the more desirable it is to have strong spring pressure holding it open.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am disappointed to see this thread begin to disappear. I really would like to get a better idea of which GEC's are in the highest demand.
If everyone here who collects GEC was to post their thoughts as to 'most popular', we would see which patterns were most often mentioned.
We only have a good forum when people post.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Asking such a question here is likely to only get each person’s personal favorite as their answer. By most definitions of popularity, the answer would be which pattern has sold the highest number of knives. Only GEC, or some of the retailers, can factually answer the question.

Anything else is just speculation, which although might make for an interesting thread, isn’t really going to answer the question.
JMO

Carry on.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Log Cabin Knives

Post by Log Cabin Knives »

Hey KJ, I personally buy more 25's than anything else, especially single blade versions. I'm a big fan of 47's and 15's as well. Oh yeah, just about any Northfield pattern in Stag as well. Of course I, like most of us, appreciate all they make, but those are my favorites. ::tu::

p.s. I can't forget the 99's in all their versions. I consider my "Elk" 99 to be akin to William Henry Knives quality and design. Great thread! ::groove::
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:17 pm Asking such a question here is likely to only get each person’s personal favorite as their answer. By most definitions of popularity, the answer would be which pattern has sold the highest number of knives. Only GEC, or some of the retailers, can factually answer the question.

Anything else is just speculation, which although might make for an interesting thread, isn’t really going to answer the question.
JMO

Carry on.

Ken
I think Ken makes a good point here but I'll take a guess.

For the highest number of knives sold I would guess one of the regular run GEC patterns that was also made for Northwoods. The Northwoods runs alone are usually 500 knives of the same pattern. My guess is the #14 pattern considering the regular run was high, they were also made for Northwoods, and there were several SFO's as well.

Most, if not all GEC knives sell out eventually so basically, the number of knives sold is the same as the number of knives made. If one wanted to take the time, they could make a more educated guess by going through the production totals on GEC's website.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:55 pm Anything with Charlie Campania's name attached to it. That's an observation, not a criticism.
Mr. Charlie could put Waynorth on a turd and sell it for $150. Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! I own three Waynorth knives and they are wonderful.
Onearmbladejunkie

Anything in blue camel bone , antique goldenrod camel bone , Oily Creek Camel bone , Sambar Stag ebony wood , Cocobolo wood , Elk , Red Stag , rotten banana bone , dead skunk acrylic , barky rams horn , smooth natural white bone , autumn leaf jigged bone , Brazilian cherry wood/beaver shield are fetching high prices on Evil-bay. #85 Bullet End Jacks , #46 Whaler , #93s Rams/Lambs foot , #15 boy's knife , #23 Trappers , #77 Barlow , #78 American Jacks , #98 Texas Camp knife ,#47 Viper --- Anything Charlie C. "Waynorth" or "Northwoods sells out quickly.
52480857_2459924667353302_8260482790483558400_n.png
52480857_2459924667353302_8260482790483558400_n.png (25.1 KiB) Viewed 4462 times
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Since most patterns eventually sell out, a more accurate idea of 'popularity' could be ebay auction selling prices. How badly do people want a certain pattern is related to the final price.
I watch GEC auctions on ebay every now & then. My thinking is that the more dedicated GEC collectors might have been watching every ebay GEC listing for the past 6 months or year, etc. These people would have an accurate take on which patterns are the most sought after.
Some of what has already been posted might be based on ebay watching.
kj
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

It kind of depends on how a person defines popular. With a brand like Rough Riders, popularity might mean the knives that folks buy because they like the pattern and want to drop it in their pocket. With a brand like GEC, popularity might mean knives that folks think will be a good investment. For a guy like me, the most popular GEC might be the cheapest!!!
Mel
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What is being asked is which GEC patterns bring the most money on the secondary market is how i understand the thread question.
"Popularity" is the word used to explain custom knife prices. For example, many people want a Tony Bose knife, meaning it is "popular". A Tony Bose knife can sell for $3,000 or more. There are other knife makers who make knives on par with Tony but they are not as 'popular' so their knives might sell for say $750.
Price on the secondary market is a good indication of demand, i.e. popularity. You cannot go on just one auction. If you see a few auctions of the same pattern and they all sell high, then it is a popular pattern.
It is a bit more complex than this because handle material can add or detract from pattern popularity.
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

As far as the ability to attract the most buyers on the secondary market, CKnets 77 Barlows and single blade 85 sfo models are likely the leaders. Personally, I prefer the 2 blade 85s and Charlie's 15 Barlows and forecast they will eventually be (once again) more popular. There has been multiple runs of the aforementioned models with thousands of examples produced and a nit knife will fetch $250+ all day long compared with the ~$100 store price. Anything Northwoods by GEC is collectable also.
But, I buy and keep what I like without much regard for longterm viability. Collector markets are fickle. Lots of short term buyers currently purchasing. Recessions come and go. Buying factory knives for "investment purposes" in all likelihood would turn out to be a fool's errand.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rob, very good post. I actually have a CK 77 Barlow with Blackwood handles and a CK single blade 85 with saber ground spear point so i am happy to hear that these are popular (highly valued).
You also say: " Lots of short term buyers currently purchasing. "
Do you mean people who became interested in knives because of GEC and only buy/collect GEC knives ?
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:53 am You also say: " Lots of short term buyers currently purchasing. "
Do you mean people who became interested in knives because of GEC and only buy/collect GEC knives ?
I suspect it's a charitable way of saying "flippers". :mrgreen:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Onearmbladejunkie

Great Eastern Cutlery #23 Pioneer Trapper ,Jack , & Bull-lock knives
235212-ec-ebony-wood11.png
235113-lrl-tidioute-cutlery-bull-lock-grizzly-cut-bone1.png
235212-Jack-calico-bone-F.jpg
1010056_634652096547244_2133218448_n.jpg
954741_633739446638509_343231211_n.png
81795999_2051846534961763_479945106221170688_o.jpg
Large 23s 1.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

GEC's first knife ever was the #23 and in the first few years they did many runs of the #23 pattern. However i do not think it is that popular now, certainly not the 2 blade version. Same seems to be the case for the 3/4" smaller #73. I have a few early #73 and the selling prices are not that much higher than they originally sold for. I bought a 2006 Stag #23 with great stag, for $250. It had been for sale for many weeks. I am the only person who thought it was worth this modest amount.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”