How Many GEC Made Knives Do You Have ?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Re: How Many GEC Made Knives Do You Have ?

Post by kootenay joe »

Beavertail wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:55 pm None.
I just can't justify to myself buying a knife for such an overinflated price that will get locked up in a safe.
I'm more of a knife user than collector.
Except for the different handle material used most of their patterns all look the same to me.
The patterns GEC has made are all established traditional style pocket knives. Nearly all the patterns have been made for more than 100 years.
If they all look the same to you then you are not a collector of traditional style knives. Collecting vintage knives teaches you how each named pattern is unique and add in some reading and you can learn something about why each pattern was created and it's intended use.
And "over inflated prices" ? I don't think so. GEC knives are largely hand made by American workers who are being paid a decent living wage. It would be interesting to know how much profit the owner of GEC is making. My guess is that the net profit after all expenses is not very much. If prices are 'over inflated' the profit margin would be large.
kj
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:11 pm
I just can't justify to myself buying a knife for such an overinflated price that will get locked up in a safe.
Except for the different handle material used most of their patterns all look the same to me.
The patterns GEC has made are all established traditional style pocket knives. Nearly all the patterns have been made for more than 100 years.
If they all look the same to you then you are not a collector of traditional style knives. Collecting vintage knives teaches you how each named pattern is unique and add in some reading and you can learn something about why each pattern was created and it's intended use.
kj
I guess what I should have said instead of them all looking alike is that they have very few patterns.
I love the old traditional pocket knives and many in my collection. ::tu:: ::handshake::
Tim
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

After reading the previous posts, I am almost embarrassed to say that my GEC knife count is now at UNO. The only one I have is this 811217 Moose, but it is a nice one. I guess I have a lot of catching up to do!
IMG_3372.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

bt, thanks for responding to my reply. I am surprised that as a traditional style knife collector, GEC has not captured your attention. The consistency of top quality in traditional knives was in decline for decades. For example, buying a new Case or Queen meant a 1 in 4 or so chance of disappointment because the knife received would have 'issue' that should not have been there. Then in late 2006 GEC comes along and within a year are turning out reliably fine knives. Now the risk of receiving a knife with a defect is very low so you don't risk the disappointment felt upon receiving a 'bad' knife.
This is why GEC is so popular with us old traditional collectors. After years of relative 'starvation' we are now feasting on a continual supply of great knives. I am surprised that you have not been similarly enthralled.
However there is an upside to not being a GEC fan. You are not sending GEC a couple of hundred dollars every month for new knives while the rest of us are spending far more than we should to acquire more GEC's.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I love the quality and appearance of GEC knives so when I saw this thread I thought I had better count them up . I count 60 GEC's and 28 GECmade Northwoods knives. I love every one of them. ::super_happy::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Right now the ones I have are those made as AAPK knives. I've had a several other GEC knives and have traded them for other knives. The GEC knives are very nice but I don't find them as interesting as HOKs and the scramble for each and every new pattern doesn't ring my bell.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Greg, your post helps lift my spirits. I think of you as a sensible, fair, level headed person and you have more GEC knives than i do. Therefore i am not as greedy and excessive as i was judging myself to be. This really is why i started this thread: am i off the deep end (again) with my 61 GEC made knives ?, or am i about average for those afflicted with 'GEC-ophilia' ?
I am still hoping to hear from more in the 100+ club. This might help me feel like i am actually a responsible type collector. :roll:
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:35 pm Greg, your post helps lift my spirits. I think of you as a sensible, fair, level headed person and you have more GEC knives than i do. Therefore i am not as greedy and excessive as i was judging myself to be. This really is why i started this thread: am i off the deep end (again) with my 61 GEC made knives ?, or am i about average for those afflicted with 'GEC-ophilia' ?
I am still hoping to hear from more in the 100+ club. This might help me feel like i am actually a responsible type collector. :roll:
kj
Roland I don't think you are excessive. These knives are most collectable knives out there as far as future value is concerned.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My only reason for buying 61 GEC made knives is that i like them. I have not thought about future collectibility when purchasing.
Right now many of the GEC knives made in the last 14 years can be sold for a price 2 or 3 times the original. 300% gain over say average of 10 years is what investors dream about. I am not sure this high demand will continue. GEC now makes a lot of knives, many patterns now do not run out even months after release. Will there be enough knife collectors in say 20 years time to maintain the demand and the resulting high prices ?
Answer: nobody knows, the future is always unpredictable.
My guess: i think there will be fewer knife collectors in 20 years time.
Note: every one of my financial predictions over the last 50 years has been wrong and is why my investments are long gone. (but i do have a pile of knives)
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

TripleF wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:45 am Not enough!!!!
Too many. After the holidays I will post a few for sale. And they won't be scalper prices, according to what I see elsewhere. I don't understand the comment about them all being about the same, except for the handles. If that is true, then one could say the same about CASE or Schrade. Odd? I haven't bought any GEC knives for awhile, as the prices have gotten a little out of hand, but they sure do have some knice knives.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

It's hard not to really like gec. Their knives are so well made and they have the flair of old knives unlike any other current day traditional manufacturer. They fill a niche that needed filling. When bought for regular non inflated prices they are an excellent value for the money. I have wonderful gec's for the collection and some wonderful users that I will probably never part with. I will always be a fan of gec and hope they continue what they are doing for many more years.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
RAMROD

Post by RAMROD »

Currently I have 109 Gec/Northwoods in my collection. Unfortunately I never heard of them until around June of this year and the quality is second to none. The high prices are due to their popularity and limited amount of of runs and number released each time. I have yet to get one on the drop and have had to pay secondary market price on all most all of mine. I do have about 15-20 that I am trying to sell as I have too many. I have been lucky to have gotten several at higher than retail, but a lot less than they are worth in today's market. I wish I could keep them all, but have settled on a few patterns to collect and plan on leaving them to my 6yo grandson someday.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

This is some of what I have (100) not counting Northwoods
Attachments
Great Eastern 002.JPG
Great Eastern 003.JPG
Great Eastern 004.JPG
Great Eastern 005.JPG
Great Eastern 006.JPG
Great Eastern 007.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Pitiful Gary, just pitiful, can’t you try harder to get more?
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:13 am Pitiful Gary, just pitiful, can’t you try harder to get more?
Mark I will post a recent photo Later with a few more :D :D ::tu::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:13 am Pitiful Gary, just pitiful, can’t you try harder to get more?
Update Mark 142 GEC & 22 Northwoods not all the Northwoods are GEC I think everyone can tell the GEC From The Dave Shirleys
Attachments
IMG_5414.JPG
IMG_5415.JPG
IMG_5416.JPG
IMG_5417.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:16 pm
Update Mark 142 GEC & 22 Northwoods not all the Northwoods are GEC I think everyone can tell the GEC From The Dave Shirleys
You win!
Impressive, very impressive.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:13 pm
You win!
Mark I found 27 more GEC'S that are not in photo making a total of 169 may find more later it's Christmas

Merry Christmas to All
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Gary you do have quite a few GEC's, almost like a reference 'library' of GEC knives. I bet not many people have more GEC knives. A similar thread at BF might turn up a few more 'big collectors' as there are more high rollers there.
Thanks for posting.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:48 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:13 pm

You win!
Mark I found 27 more GEC'S that are not in photo making a total of 169 may find more later it's Christmas

Merry Christmas to All
Gary, I get it. I have picked up a lot for just collecting about a year and a half. I picked up a lot of extras for resell or trade down the road too. I especially like your Northwoods collection, I would love to see all of them opened and lined up. It would a good reference for those of us who didn’t collect Northwoods back when Dave Shirley had Queen making them.
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

I have 11. I don't buy one of every handle in a certain pattern, but I seem to have developed a habit of buying two different handles in each pattern.
My breakdown is:
2 #12 Northfields;
2 #29 Northfields;
2 #86, 1 Northfield, 1 Tidioute;
2 #14, 1 Northfield, 1 Cripple Creek*;
1 #82 Tidioute;
1 #38 Tidioute;
1 #71 Farm & Field.
Looking at this list, I seem to have a preference for Northfields. I guess I'm a sucker for fancy bolsters ::woot::

*Not to get off topic, but as a fan of Bob Cargill, I kind of wish they weren't making Cripple Creeks. I have a handful of real Cripple Creeks and they were made by Bob Cargill. I bought this one second hand at a really good price (and its elderberry which i like :D ) otherwise I would have passed on it.

BTW Merry Christmas everybody! Its going to be in the 60's here in Missouri and I'm going for a motorcycle ride ::ds::
Mike
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I respect and love your answer !
Attachments
72478549_2477890782484997_4403941405257367552_n.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I have 54 GEC knives in my possession and 4 more on the way. I have a January pre-order on a camel bone banana shield #62. I joined two clubs that will be ordering a SFO GEC 2020 Trapper club knife. GEC will be making a trapper knife in 2020. The Oregon Knife collector association club knives have to be ready for the April Oregon spring knife show. I would assume the GEC Trapper knives would be made in March. The #62s are coming in January. GEC will most likey put out a small batch of something after the #62s and then the Trappers will prevail. I love to study , search for info , and take a guess.
52480857_2459924667353302_8260482790483558400_n.png
52480857_2459924667353302_8260482790483558400_n.png (25.1 KiB) Viewed 3570 times
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I have eight. One is a Lick Creek boy’s knife (one of Lyle’s SFOs). The others are all AAPK annual member knives.

They’re well made knives. They just don’t do a lot for me, but I’m not that interested in new knives from any maker. JMO. I’m glad y’all are keeping GEC in business though. ::tu::

Ken
Attachments
3894C2A9-66F5-4670-851D-C55B5CE9BCB1.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RAMROD

Post by RAMROD »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:38 am I have eight. One is a Lick Creek boy’s knife (one of Lyle’s SFOs). The others are all AAPK annual member knives.

They’re well made knives. They just don’t do a lot for me, but I’m not that interested in new knives from any maker. JMO. I’m glad y’all are keeping GEC in business though. ::tu::

Ken
Do you want to sell the 14 lick creek?

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”