GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress first knife of 2020

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Tsar Bomba

Re: GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress first knife of 2020

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:02 am This 62 half congress is the same as in 2013, wharncliffe master and pen secondary. I would have liked to see different blades this time. Use a wharncliffe for the secondary blade and have either a spear point or long pen blade as the master. But instead it is a repeat of the 2013 #62.
Same blade options as the similar-ish #13 Clerk run of 2017, too.

I didn't bother with the other #62 options after losing out on the camel bone for that reason.
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Surprised I haven’t seen more of these 62’s posted. This is my second one, Unicorn Ivory Acrylic. Like this acrylic handle better than just about any I have seen. It’s not got that slick feel that the 86 tortoise shell acrylic has. This is a gorgeous knife. It looks really good next to the blood red and my Northfield Maverick in King Wood.
Attachments
IMG_2209.jpeg
IMG_2210.jpeg
IMG_2211.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:41 pm Surprised I haven’t seen more of these 62’s posted. This is my second one, Unicorn Ivory Acrylic. Like this acrylic handle better than just about any I have seen. It’s not got that slick feel that the 86 tortoise shell acrylic has. This is a gorgeous knife. It looks really good next to the blood red and my Northfield Maverick in King Wood.
There are two different #62 unicorn ivory acrylic Easy Pocket Congress knives. You have the grainy version. There is a solid slick white ivory version too. JSR Sports & More offers both versions. The other dealers need to be contacted before purchase , if it matters to you. I have one arm , so I like the grainy version best.
Onearmbladejunkie

More Factory #62 production line photos !
IMG_1284.jpg
IMG_1285.jpg
IMG_1290.jpg
67780034002208.jpg
IMG_1312-scaled.jpg
34565778799011.jpg
IMG_1315-scaled.jpg
IMG_1317-scaled.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

White bone #62 Pocket carver congress in production !
62-pocket-carver-scaled.jpg
IMG_1326.jpg
IMG_1327.jpg
IMG_1325.jpg
IMG_1324.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

DLT Trading just received their batch of #62 Easy Pocket Congress "Snakewood " knives ! I just bought one myself a #62 snakewood and a bottle of Heavy KPL pivot lube.
657780003240077.png
IMG_1290.jpg
GEC-3767__09849.1581101229.jpg
GEC-3769__86154.1581101230.jpg
GEC-3769__86154.1581101230.jpg (3.89 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
GEC-3768__04579.1581101230.jpg
GEC-3768__04579.1581101230.jpg (4.07 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks man, I did not get an email on these, but I did on the Maroon Micarta today, really appreciate it.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
setldown

Post by setldown »

My DLT Snakewood arrived Saturday and the scales are just exquisite. Mine is polished to the point of the Snakewood almost looking acrylic. Simply stunning!
From store to my door, delivery was less than 18 hours. WOW. ( I do live in same state)
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

setldown wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:53 pm My DLT Snakewood arrived Saturday and the scales are just exquisite. Mine is polished to the point of the Snakewood almost looking acrylic. Simply stunning!
From store to my door, delivery was less than 18 hours. WOW. ( I do live in same state)
Pictures please.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

My Snakewood arrived and so did the Micarta handled one. Excellent on both. If you are hesitating on the Micarta, don’t it’s exceptionally nice looking. They did an outstanding job on both of these. Can’t wait to get the rest.
The Snakewood is some of the nicest I have seen.
Attachments
IMG_2267.jpeg
IMG_2268.jpeg
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Desert Ironwood and Blue camel bone are in, now, at DLT.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

DLT still has Desert Ironwood 62’s for sale. Also the Maroon Micarta, Unicorn Ivory and the blood red jigged bone all showing quantity available. Came bone and Snakewood are sold out as of 2/11
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I just picked up the Northfield camel bone 62. It looks to be most pocket friendly. Anyone care to comment on it's attributes?
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Onearmbladejunkie

gsmith7158 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:41 pm I just picked up the Northfield camel bone 62. It looks to be most pocket friendly. Anyone care to comment on it's attributes?
I think making a banana shield knife in Goldenrod camel bone was a bad choice by Bill Howard. Those production line pictures were not very appealing. Thank God GEC split the production numbers with #62 Easy Pocket Congress Goldenrod camel bone square bar shield knives. I asked for the lightest one available. We will see how that rolls. The square bar shield looks very classy. The banana shields are a marketing gimmick that works for increase sales.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I agree OABJ. I like the fact that it is 3 3/4 inches closed and has the recessed tangs. The bar shield has always been one of my favorites. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a 620220 with 'Blood Red Jigged Bone' and a 620213 with Antique Amber Jigged bone and stainless blades. They are basically the same: same frame, same blade profiles.
The joints are half sunk, the tang corners are about 1mm above the handle. The 3 3/4" size and rounded bolsters do make it both useful and easy to carry. My only 'quibble' is the master blade: only available as a Wharncliffe which i know is very popular. I would like to have seen some made with a spear point master which is more traditional for a pen knife and i think is a more all around useful profile.
GEC offers are wide variety of handles with every new pattern but no choice of blades. I do not understand why GEC does not do a run of 62's with a spear point master. I suppose the answer is that they sell every knife they make and they are working at capacity so why change anything ?
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Roland thanks for that review. I agree blade choices would be a welcome addition but probably an extra cost for GEC. Of course they do it for SFO's like Waynorth's but that's a substantial price difference.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Onearmbladejunkie

Time to go "BANANAS" !
5467700003244000112.jpg
IMG_1352.jpg
IMG_1350.jpg
IMG_1348.jpg
877990003425099.jpg
IMG_1345.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I agree with kj. I had said the same a few pages back, a spear point or a clip blade would have been nice.
About the banana. I have no interest in one of these. The color is not much different from the Goldenrod and I hate that banana shield. I wasn’t going to order the goldenrod but I did anyway. I got two of the blue camel bones and a little disappointed that the color is so washed out, I was hoping for a darker blue. My guess is the goldenrod will be washed out also.
Again I ask: why does GEC do so much with the yellow and brown colors? Their maroon is gorgeous. The tractor green and the blue sawcut bone on the Northwoods is so much better. I just can’t figure out the logic of having so many brown and yellow knives, especially when they do the other colors so well?
Onearmbladejunkie

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:09 pm I agree with kj. I had said the same a few pages back, a spear point or a clip blade would have been nice.
About the banana. I have no interest in one of these. The color is not much different from the Goldenrod and I hate that banana shield. I wasn’t going to order the goldenrod but I did anyway. I got two of the blue camel bones and a little disappointed that the color is so washed out, I was hoping for a darker blue. My guess is the goldenrod will be washed out also.
Again I ask: why does GEC do so much with the yellow and brown colors? Their maroon is gorgeous. The tractor green and the blue sawcut bone on the Northwoods is so much better. I just can’t figure out the logic of having so many brown and yellow knives, especially when they do the other colors so well?
Hear ! Hear ! One of the big appeals of GEC is the crazy prices on Evil-bay. GEC does not make a dime from Evil-bay. If you paid $80 to $100 for a knife many years ago and now that knife will fetch $200 to $400 on Evil-bay. That is great un-paid advertisement . GEC saves the best most wanted scales for the SFO knives. (12 to 100 pieces ) By driving up the value of certain GEC knives , gives the allusion that all GEC knives will increase in value. "Harley-Davidson" did the same thing in the 1980s . The Harley-Davidson bubble has busted. The new riders care nothing about made in the USA. The big knife market is tactical knives , not traditional knives. One day there will not be enough new young collectors to fill the void. The traditional knife bubble will bust. I am hoping that TV Shows like "Forged with Fire" will increase future knife collectors and blade-smiths .
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

2 Camel bone in blue and 2 Desert Ironwood. Such a difference from one to another. The darker ironwood looks almost like unstained ebony and the lighter one is too light, in my opinion. The blue are so light they look like a baby blue.
Attachments
IMG_2374.jpeg

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”