Bull Buster & Mudbug

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Bull Buster & Mudbug

Post by kootenay joe »

Both the GEC Bull Buster & the Smith & Sons Mudbug are made on the same #21 frame, 4 5/8" closed. The Mudbug is a # 21 GEC 'tuned up' by Smith & Sons, knife makers. They say "reinforced birdseye pivots & steel liners instead of brass", and "Lockback" and "scales are crafted from linen Micarta".
I bought a Mudbug a few years ago, the back tang is marked: "1LB114" so perhaps it is a 2014 knife ?
I just recently bought a "Bull Buster", #215119.
Comparing these two, the blade profile and edge sharpness (very) are the same. The birdseye pivots look to be the same size to me; i.e. i do not see the Mudbug pivots as "reinforced" ?
And the BB has steel liners, not brass.
The real difference is that the Mudbug is a lockback whereas the GEC B.B. is a slip joint with half stop.
The other difference is in handle thickness. The Mudbug handle is thinner which i really like, but others might prefer the thicker Delrin handle on the B.B.
This is my only GEC #21 so perhaps earlier ones had brass liners ?
Any comments about this comparison or experience with the GEC #21 or Mudbug ?
kj
Attachments
IMGP7705.JPG
IMGP7706.JPG
IMGP7707.JPG
IMGP7708.JPG
Rotten

Re: Bull Buster & Mudbug

Post by Rotten »

My 2014 GEC 71 Bull Nose has steel liners so I think Smith & Sons was most probably using 'marketing speak' as to steel vs brass.
I do have a natural micarta Mudbug that makes an excellent backpocket knife with its thinner handle. I wish Smith & Sons had stuck with GEC and had them do a 71 size lockback, that would have been a great one. They've apparently gone to Italy for the knives they don't make in house, those are nice but more modern than classic.

Enjoy that Mudbug!
Trace
BAX229

Post by BAX229 »

I was lucky enough to pick up both knives last week to compare...ended up selling the Bull Buster. I didn't see much difference between the liners and pivots. The Mudbug dark natural micarta is beautiful and has an iridescent to it in certain light. I prefer the thinner handle too and it's hard to compete with the lockback.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Has GEC ever made these as a lockback ?
If not, i think a lockback version with thin linen Micarta handles would be an instant sell-out. No need for Smith and Sons to do this work. Could be called the GEC "Mud Buster". Hope GEC reads my insightful words of wisdom ::woot::
kj
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

I've got both knives and like both. I carry the Mudbug in the S&S pancake sheath and the Bull Buster usually goes in the back pocket when its carried. I dont have anything else to add to whats been already said. Older pic.
Attachments
IMG_5057.JPG
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for these replies. So the only difference is Mudbug has thinner handles and is a lockback but strength of frame & pivot is the same, as is the blade.
The Mudbug is not available at this time and don't know if any more will be made. The price is at least double that of the Bull Buster. I see the only reason to choose a Mudbug over the B.B.is if you really want the lockback feature. Otherwise the Bull Buster is the same knife and for much less money.
kj
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Smith and Sons have been having their Mudbug pre order in Novmember the last couple of years. Then the knives are available at the end of January or the first of February. They usually sell out very quickly.
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks David. Good to know.
I wonder why GEC does not make a lock back version of the Bull Buster. Why give away part of your business to another company ?
kj
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

That's a good question and one I dont have an answer for. I've wondered about that same thing with the SFO Barlows. I'm glad they do the SFO's but as hot as those Barlows are you'd think GEC make some of their own. ::shrug::
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I would like to know more about these Barlows. I had thought at all the GEC Barlows were made 100% 'in house'. Please fill me in.
thanks, kj
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

I like both subject knives, but prefer the locking & thinner profile of the Mudbug. I've found the Mudbugs to positively be sharper than anything else coming out of GEC. I assume this is because S&S tunes up the edge in house before sending them out.

It baffles my mind why GEC won't put out a locking version of the 71 Bullnose. ::shrug:: I think they'd sell the pee outta them.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:41 pm I would like to know more about these Barlows. I had thought at all the GEC Barlows were made 100% 'in house'. Please fill me in.
thanks, kj
The SFO Barlows that GEC makes are for Mike and Charlie.
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K. I thought you were saying that these barlows were being partly made by another maker, like the Mud Bug is.
I go by who made a knife not how it is branded. Hence a "Waynorth Cutlery" knife or a "Northwoods" since 2008, are GEC knives to me.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”