GEC#29 Stockyard Whittler knife 2019

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC#29 Stockyard Whittler knife 2019

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well I finally got to coon finger my new 29's today and I am thoroughly impressed. They remind me of another favorite, the Case 6380 in appearance and feel. I love the half stops on all blades.
Attachments
IMG_5538 (2).JPG
IMG_5540 (2).JPG
IMG_5542 (2).JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Very nice Greg ! The Stag i think would look even better with a shield.
kj
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

gsmith7158 wrote:Well I finally got to coon finger my new 29's today and I am thoroughly impressed. They remind me of another favorite, the Case 6380 in appearance and feel. I love the half stops on all blades.
The 29 was only mildly interesting and I didn't really pay much attention at first until I saw they had half stops so I picked up one of the blood red ones. It immediately impressed me with how it felt to use with the main blade open, the other blades sit so low it's almost like they're not there. Liked it enough that I ordered another blood red to put up, as the first one has been doing pocket duty since day one, and picked up a nice stag one.
Trace
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Very nice Greg ! The Stag i think would look even better with a shield.
kj
Thanks Roland! I'm very pleased with them. It must be a bit difficult finding the right texture of stag to easily fit a shield, but I agree they would set the knife off with that UNXLD shield.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I too, just got mine...and am very happy with the stag. My only critique of this knife...I contemplated actually getting this knife, as a user, for whittling, thinking the awl would be good for fine detail. Sadly, the awl is so thin and flexible...I'm certain it would break, with any substantial use.
29A.jpg
29B.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Doc B wrote:I too, just got mine...and am very happy with the stag. My only critique of this knife...I contemplated actually getting this knife, as a user, for whittling, thinking the awl would be good for fine detail. Sadly, the awl is so thin and flexible...I'm certain it would break, with any substantial use.
29A.jpg29B.jpg
Very nice stag Doc, congrats.
Trace
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am surprised to hear the punch is flexible. Even if thin i think it 'should' be rigid. But maybe not ?
kj
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

kootenay joe wrote:I am surprised to hear the punch is flexible. Even if thin i think it 'should' be rigid. But maybe not ?
kj
I'd be interested to hear others perception of the awl. I can flex it with my finger. It does thin down and is very sharp. I have no doubt it would puncture leather quite well. I'd be afraid to put much force, in to wood.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

It's flexy but with care did a fine job in this old pine 2x4.
20190916_141741.jpg
Trace
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

kootenay joe wrote:And "split spring whittler", is a one spring knife and these have not been made for about 150 years. I have been on the look out for one of these 'forever' but have yet to see one for sale. They are very rare.
kj
...........just looked at all 5 of my old Camillus whittlers, all are double spring with brass(4) and steel(1) tapered spacers!!......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..........................
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

carrmillus wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:And "split spring whittler", is a one spring knife and these have not been made for about 150 years. I have been on the look out for one of these 'forever' but have yet to see one for sale. They are very rare.
kj
...........just looked at all 5 of my old Camillus whittlers, all are double spring with brass(4) and steel(1) tapered spacers!!......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..........................
I also have been searching for one of those true split springs but to no avail. As near as I can reckon I believe most of them are very old ,probably before 1860.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Fisherman79

Post by Fisherman79 »

Doc B wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:I am surprised to hear the punch is flexible. Even if thin i think it 'should' be rigid. But maybe not ?
kj
I'd be interested to hear others perception of the awl. I can flex it with my finger. It does thin down and is very sharp. I have no doubt it would puncture leather quite well. I'd be afraid to put much force, in to wood.
It will peel paint off any wood surface with ease. Its great for light finesse shaving. I use the point all the time. Its sharp while at the same time being slightly rounded at the tip. I use the tip alot without fear of messing up a blade point.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

My bloodwood came today... ::ds::
Bill Howard/GEC really came through on this one. Perty much a perfect knife. A little smaller then I thought it would be, but is a big plus. Fits my large hands perfectly, and blades are the perfect size too. All in all I couldn't be more pleased. And I picked it in the first round ($20 cheaper... :D ).
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I don't have one of the GEC 29's so can't comment on them, but recently made knives I've seen have similar relatively thin awl (punch) blades. Not nearly as substantial as the old ones which typically had a reinforced spine. Much more substantial, but even on those it's not unusual to see one that has been "tipped". Likely from being used as a pry or pick rather than a leather punch.

Whereas the older ones were "rolled" such that they had a reinforcing spine - undoubtedly more expensive to make and required tooling designed for the purpose. I suspect the more recently made punch blades are made that way because they can easily be stamped from standard steel blade stock. And they're less likely to be actually used. ::hmm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I've always thought that an awl was for making holes in leather. Used in such a manner will last forever. Any tool which is used to drill wood is going to wear out or break sooner than later.
Outstanding knives shown, looking forward to receiving my stag.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Mumbleypeg wrote:I don't have one of the GEC 29's so can't comment on them, but recently made knives I've seen have similar relatively thin awl (punch) blades. Not nearly as substantial as the old ones which typically had a reinforced spine. Much more substantial, but even on those it's not unusual to see one that has been "tipped". Likely from being used as a pry or pick rather than a leather punch.

Whereas the older ones were "rolled" such that they had a reinforcing spine - undoubtedly more expensive to make and required tooling designed for the purpose. I suspect the more recently made punch blades are made that way because they can easily be stamped from standard steel blade stock. And they're less likely to be actually used. ::hmm::

Ken
Ken, maybe I'm misunderstanding but the punch on the 29 does have a roll to it, it is not flat. the roll has a sharp edge that removes material well when turned clockwise. Well designed punch in my opinion.
Attachments
IMG_0824.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

gsmith7158 wrote:
carrmillus wrote:
kj
I also have been searching for one of those true split springs but to no avail. As near as I can reckon I believe most of them are very old ,probably before 1860.
...........greg, at least I can say I have had one in my hand!!.....my grandpa let me whittle with his when I was a kid!!, I would trade all of mine for the one he had!!.......... ::handshake:: .................
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Just as there are many blade patterns (clip, sheepsfoot, etc.---), there are also many awl patterns. When horses were the main mode of transportation, the awl (aka "punch") was an important tool to have with you. Many of the old USA knife manufacturers designed their own awl.
Charlie Campagna has had 10 different Harness jacks made over about the last 15 years. I believe each one has a different awl pattern and the patterns are all copies of vintage USA awls. On one of them the manufacturer (Queen, i think) said the awl was so difficult to make and get it 'right', that they would never make it again.
Ken says: " they can easily be stamped from standard steel blade stock." They might be stamped out, but after this there is grinding, sharpening & polishing all done with the same care and attention as the other blades.
The GEC knives i have with an awl (98 & 35) have the sharpest edge and pointiest tip of any awls i have owned (quite a few).
I made some extra belt holes to accommodate my expanding waist and i was amazed how both these awls cut through thick leather almost as if you were just rotating the awl in the air. Very impressive.
I can get a small amount of flex with a strong lateral pressure. The same is true for the other blades so i would not call it "flexy".
I wonder about tempering. Is an awl tempered to the same hardness as the blades ? Rc ~ 58. Or are they tempered a bit softer so they will have some flex ?
Anyone know about this ?
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Roland, when I said they can easily be stamped from standard blade stock, I was referring to the modern-day versions I have seen. These appear to be regular blades stamped, or ground, to a point. Apparently the GEC 29 is at least a little more substantial.

However based on the descriptions that it is "flexible", it wouldn't seem to be as substantial as the punch blades found on older knives. As you know, those were quite rigid and strong especially when used for their intended purposes (not as pry bars).

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The 10 Harness jacks Charlie had made (Queen & GEC) have awls are as good and sometimes better, than those on vintage USA Harness Jacks. They are copies of the vintage awls with effort made to reproduce the design exactly. I say "better" because the steel used for knife blades has improved over the last 100 years.
Rather than the old being more substantial than the new, i think flex has to do with the pattern of the awl. Some awl patterns are more rigid than others, whether vintage or new.
GEC has made 4 patterns that have an awl: #'s 29, 35, 77 & 98. If you don't have one of these and if you like having an awl on your knife, i urge you to get one. You will not be disappointed with the knife or the awl. Each has a different pattern awl.
kj
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

kootenay joe wrote:The 10 Harness jacks Charlie had made (Queen & GEC) have awls are as good and sometimes better, than those on vintage USA Harness Jacks. They are copies of the vintage awls with effort made to reproduce the design exactly. I say "better" because the steel used for knife blades has improved over the last 100 years.
Rather than the old being more substantial than the new, i think flex has to do with the pattern of the awl. Some awl patterns are more rigid than others, whether vintage or new.
GEC has made 4 patterns that have an awl: #'s 29, 35, 77 & 98. If you don't have one of these and if you like having an awl on your knife, i urge you to get one. You will not be disappointed with the knife or the awl. Each has a different pattern awl.
kj
Don't forget the #57. If memory serves me right the punch on it is almost if not identical to the #29. I'll have to compare them when I get home.
Trace
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I also have a harness jack on the 54 frame.. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Oh dear, i need to study up on the GEC patterns. ::doh:: More have awls than i was aware of. I have an example of the each of the 4 patterns i mentioned. Now i might have to look for these other ones. ::woot::
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Plus the 15 Doamond Jack, 66 Teamster Jack, 85 Real Harness Jack and 85 hj (different awls),
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

As i have posted before, the slow internet speed in my area makes scoring one of the 'hot' GEC knives almost impossible. Mark (sharpnshinyknives), volunteered to try to get a Stag #29 for me. He scored 2 of them, both very nice but one does have more impressive looking Stag. He sent me the 29 with the 'better' Stag saying he wanted me to have "the best one". The Stag is deeply furrowed and because of this the Stag slabs have to be a certain thickness. They cannot be as thin as Stag with shallow furrows. But it is not "Fat Stag". Visually and in hand it is "Just Right Stag".
I have had a number of dealings with Mark and he is a most generous man. Thank you Mark.
kj
Attachments
IMGP7590.JPG
IMGP7591.JPG
IMGP7588.JPG
IMGP7592.JPG

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”