Weak snap on a GEC?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Weak snap on a GEC?

Postby ken98k » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:12 pm

kootenay joe wrote:The 97 is a good user for those with experience in both knife use and field dressing. If you have not used a folding knife much or if you are not 'at home' field dressing a downed game animal, then the softer spring might mean you knock it to half stop. It is unlikely to go past the half stop.
The importance of experience with field dressing cannot be over-stated in this situation. Field dressing involves quite a few cuts, many are inside the body cavity with limited visibility. If you don't have all the moves 'down', then you could easily bump the blade spine and knock it to half stop.
A stronger spring would be better for those with less experience.
I hope to use my Tidioute 97 this Fall and if i do i will post how it went.
kj

You are going to tell an Alaskan Big Game Guide how to dress out game? :roll:
The bible say not to argue with a fool so keep on flapping your gums :lol:
I am the NRA.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:05 am

Quote: "You are going to tell an Alaskan Big Game Guide how to dress out game?"
No.
I was just stating the obvious. If you or anyone is afraid of their 97 closing to half stop when in use then find a slip joint with a stronger spring or better yet, with a locking mechanism.
I am confident that my 97 Tidioute is safe for me to use. This is not about you or the 97 you have.
kj

Onearmbladejunkie
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Onearmbladejunkie » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:34 pm

I own 5 GEC#97 Allegheny knives. I already paid for the Oregon club knife. The knife show is today , so I will receive my knife very soon. The Oregon Club knife and the American Whittler #97 have the best looking Antique yellow bone. My snaps are fine so far. I have one arm and these #97s were made just for me. I spotted some "S" stamped reduced priced #97s at "The Knife Connection" I bought two #43 "S" knives last year and they work perfect for me. I recommend the American Whittler knife. If you can't find a Sambar Stag #97 , go with the American Whittler with the large hounds tooth. The GEC#97s are the best Hunter knives for one arm me. "NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECT KNIFE !"
American-label-97.jpg

Ajd3530

Postby Ajd3530 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:23 am

I've been saying for over two months, of only they had produced some with liner locks, there would be no issue. The collectors could get the lockless, and the folks who actually wanted to use theirs could get locks.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the workmanship that went into this pattern. Gorgeous knife, silky smooth action. But the weak spring combined with just how much leverage that big long blade is able to produce, and it pretty much takes it out of the equation for the pattern's intended use, (a folding hunter.) Sent my antique amber, err "autumn gold" back. I'll be keeping the yellow Rose in the collection.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:25 am

I picked up my Northfield 97 with ebony handles today. Very well made knife with decent spring tension. I would call it a 5.0 - 5.5 for pull strength. I consider the spring tension to be correct for this pattern. My Tidioute maroon Micarta 97 has similar spring tension, just slightly less than the Northfield one.
Based on posts here it seems that some 97's have a weaker spring than others. I doubt it is all just owner preference.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”