GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
User avatar
m0nk
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by m0nk » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:52 am

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:What a dandy knife this one is. Dandy was the word that came to mind when I opened it today. Smooth white bone 2 blade 06 Pemberton. My wife is coveting this one.
SSk
That sure is nice! So what happened was... I wanted one, and this past Sunday I saw that only one was available from the bigger distributors. I assumed that everyone else was already sold out, so I was going to grab it. But when I went to check out, they were charging for shipping (gasp!) when this particular site used to ship for free. So I backed out and grabbed a blue jigged bone Tidioute from another distributor who still ships for free. Then yesterday and today I see at least two other mainstream distributors who have the white NW 2-blades, and I think they still ship free also. Meanwhile my blue Tidioute is enroute. I thought about grabbing a white bone NW and returning the Tidioute, but it would cost me maybe $20 in shipping, restocking fees, and a few dollars in the cost of the knife. So I'm going to stick with my Tidioute and be content to gawk at the pics of the white bone NW's that you guys post here. I don't own a blue knife and this one looks pretty good. The jigging looks smooth so I can't wait to find out how it feels in the hand. I intend for this knife to be a sort of "utility" knife to pair with a nice gentlemen's single blade folder, and the Tidioute brand is ideal as a user. I'll try to post some comparison pics, maybe this weekend. Main spear compared to a 78/44 pen, and sheepsfoot compared to a Buck 303.

-Lee

User avatar
Tsar Bomba
Posts: 3274
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:14 am

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by Tsar Bomba » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:11 am

kootenay joe wrote:Yes. Did you look at them ? They look like a Rough Rider which is not an insult to either. The strange quasi-jigging on the blue bone looks more like bone from China than USA. Ya think GEC is contracting out to Rough Rider ? :shock:
This is the one I received from TPK this week. I dig the jigging (more like scratting) and the variations in the dye absorption, but apparently I'm in the minority on that one. ::shrug::
2019-02-26_10-10-05.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:What a dandy knife this one is. Dandy was the word that came to mind when I opened it today. Smooth white bone 2 blade 06 Pemberton. My wife is coveting this one.
Glad I'm not married! :lol: The other GEC that arrived this week was the 2-blade smooth white bone, or the "coke beagle" since it so closely matches the #18 2-blade dogleg run of 2016. I think of the single-blade Wharnie #06 as the"coyote bottle." ::paranoid:: Both knives W&T, are super snappy and have top notch F&F.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

User avatar
m0nk
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by m0nk » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:13 pm

m0nk wrote: Then yesterday and today I see at least two other mainstream distributors who have the white NW 2-blades, and I think they still ship free also. Meanwhile my blue Tidioute is enroute. I thought about grabbing a white bone NW and returning the Tidioute, but it would cost me maybe $20 in shipping, restocking fees, and a few dollars in the cost of the knife. So I'm going to stick with my Tidioute and be content to gawk at the pics of the white bone NW's that you guys post here.
I meant to say "NF" not "NW". I was referring to the white bone 2-blade Northfield. Sorry for any confusion. Probably subconscious wishful thinking that we could be sitting here talking about buying Northwoods knives on something other than a lolly scramble basis.

User avatar
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2062
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by Sharpnshinyknives » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:51 pm

Tsar Bomba wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:Yes. Did you look at them ? They look like a Rough Rider which is not an insult to either. The strange quasi-jigging on the blue bone looks more like bone from China than USA. Ya think GEC is contracting out to Rough Rider ? :shock:
This is the one I received from TPK this week. I dig the jigging (more like scratting) and the variations in the dye absorption, but apparently I'm in the minority on that one. ::shrug::

2019-02-26_10-10-05.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:What a dandy knife this one is. Dandy was the word that came to mind when I opened it today. Smooth white bone 2 blade 06 Pemberton. My wife is coveting this one.
Glad I'm not married! :lol: The other GEC that arrived this week was the 2-blade smooth white bone, or the "coke beagle" since it so closely matches the #18 2-blade dogleg run of 2016. I think of the single-blade Wharnie #06 as the"coyote bottle." ::paranoid:: Both knives W&T, are super snappy and have top notch F&F.
That blue Robeson is a handsome knife. Those two side by side are quite a pair. I’m very fond of blue bone done right and that Robeson is a fine example of blue bone done right. I have a Marbles w/ blue bone and very similar jigging on an English Jack that is one of my favorites.
When you see your two side by side, the blue bone Permberton looks better, for some reason, than it did on the promo pictures.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2062
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by Sharpnshinyknives » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:48 pm

I have had two chances now to get the 06 Templar and I passed both times. Am I alone in not being excited about these? There is just something I don’t like about them, maybe it’s the bolsters, not sure. What do others think?
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Drukai
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:15 pm
Location: Madison Wisconsin

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by Drukai » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:58 pm

Yeah the Templar is not my cup of tea..
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 9119
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by kootenay joe » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:54 am

They remind me of the kind of knife you might have won at a summer carnival as a kid. I realize there is no comparison in the quality. It is the look of the knife.
kj

User avatar
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2062
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by Sharpnshinyknives » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:08 am

Tsar Bomba wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:Yes. Did you look at them ? They look like a Rough Rider which is not an insult to either. The strange quasi-jigging on the blue bone looks more like bone from China than USA. Ya think GEC is contracting out to Rough Rider ? :shock:
This is the one I received from TPK this week. I dig the jigging (more like scratting) and the variations in the dye absorption, but apparently I'm in the minority on that one. ::shrug::

2019-02-26_10-10-05.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:What a dandy knife this one is. Dandy was the word that came to mind when I opened it today. Smooth white bone 2 blade 06 Pemberton. My wife is coveting this one.
Glad I'm not married! :lol: The other GEC that arrived this week was the 2-blade smooth white bone, or the "coke beagle" since it so closely matches the #18 2-blade dogleg run of 2016. I think of the single-blade Wharnie #06 as the"coyote bottle." ::paranoid:: Both knives W&T, are super snappy and have top notch F&F.

I know I already commented on that Robeson but I love that knife. Does that pattern have a name? I know it’s a whittler, but it looks like a tuxedo whittler. Is there such a knife?
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Tsar Bomba
Posts: 3274
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:14 am

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by Tsar Bomba » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:37 am

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:I know I already commented on that Robeson but I love that knife. Does that pattern have a name? I know it’s a whittler, but it looks like a tuxedo whittler. Is there such a knife?
I think of it as a "swell-center whittler." Tuxedo purists might object because it's not equal-ended and it's bigger than most tuxedos at around 3 1/2" closed. It's like a slightly exaggerated Camillus 72 frame. I've got designs on a large spear whittler from the main Queen line but this is my only Queen-built whittler of any kind so far, so I can't make any direct comparisons.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 9119
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by kootenay joe » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:09 am

Swell center whittler is the correct name. It is an old pattern, likely first made in Sheffield in 1800's.
kj

Stephen
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by Stephen » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:22 pm

I bought 2-#06 Templars this morning.
One of each color.
Bought them on eBay from Circle A Knives.
He had 5 of each color available
and they all sold out in about 30 minutes. $69.95 each with free shipping. ::ds::

Rotten
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:47 am
Location: Texas panhandle

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by Rotten » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:02 am

I didn't pick up any 06's until I saw the Templar. Picked up 2 blue and 1 red. I like the Templar models and wish I had picked up the earlier ones. If they ever do a run of Templar 66 Calf Ropers I'm going to be in big trouble.
Trace

User avatar
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 7978
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:25 pm
Location: Marietta, Ga. 35% of the time

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by gsmith7158 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:21 pm

My two new pemertons are on the bottom. Where's the beef?
Attachments
20190302_112213.jpg
IMG_4873.JPG
IMG_4874.JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

User avatar
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2062
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by Sharpnshinyknives » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:43 am

gsmith7158 wrote:My two new pemertons are on the bottom. Where's the beef?

Nice Greg. I like these 2 blade better than the 1 blade wharncliffe. I will have to put them all together for a photo.
Here are my 2 white and 2 stage 2 blade Pembertons. These make for a heck of a nice photograph.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5235.jpeg
IMG_5236.jpeg
IMG_5237.jpeg
IMG_5238.jpeg
IMG_5239.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Tony_Wood
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by Tony_Wood » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:12 am

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:My two new pemertons are on the bottom. Where's the beef?

Nice Greg. I like these 2 blade better than the 1 blade wharncliffe. I will have to put them all together for a photo.
Here are my 2 white and 2 stage 2 blade Pembertons. These make for a heck of a nice photograph.
SSk
Nice shots of a nice groups of knives.
Looking good.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood

Post Reply

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”