GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Got my stag one today. I like it. Wish it had a shield, that would have put it over the top.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5219.jpeg
IMG_5220.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The two blades are hitting the shelves. Looks like a rollout just like the one blade, starting w/ the Micarta ones first.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 »

Recieved my stag Pemberton yesterday, and it is undoubtedly the finest stag I have ever owned. Look at this ridhes on the pile side!!
Attachments
2019-02-15_02-46-11.jpg
2019-02-15_02-45-23.jpg
2019-02-15_02-48-14.jpg
2019-02-15_02-46-51.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Very nice Stag on both of these Pembertons Ssk & Ajd.
I just picked up my smooth white bone Pemberton. Very nice but very small. I think of it as 'office workers EDC'. It would be a better knife with a clip blade.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

2 blade blue bone and Micarta already out. White smooth bone is next then sambar stag. Such exciting times we live in!
SSk
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Anyone receive a new 2-blade Pemberton yet? I'd like to know the lengths of the blades, and if possible, comparison pics. I'm curious how the sheepsfoot blade looks compared to say, the sheepsfoot on a Buck 303. And how the main spear compares to the pen blade on a 78 or 44.

Anyone have use experience with a small sheepsfoot like this one? How useful is such a small sheepsfoot, and do you find yourself reaching for it very often compared to a larger sheepsfoot?

-Lee
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

m0nk wrote:Anyone receive a new 2-blade Pemberton yet? I'd like to know the lengths of the blades, and if possible, comparison pics. I'm curious how the sheepsfoot blade looks compared to say, the sheepsfoot on a Buck 303. And how the main spear compares to the pen blade on a 78 or 44.

Anyone have use experience with a small sheepsfoot like this one? How useful is such a small sheepsfoot, and do you find yourself reaching for it very often compared to a larger sheepsfoot?

-Lee

Monk, from what I saw the sheepsfoot is 1.65 inches and the main blade is 2.25 inches in length. You are right, that is pretty small. But no smaller than most sheepsfoot blades on a small congress. I think that would be your comparison. I haven’t seen many sheepsfoot blades worn out on small congress knives, so I am guessing, it’s not all that useable or you would see a lot more wear on older ones that have been used. Of course, whittling and wood carving isn’t widely practiced so that may account for it too.
SSk
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I'm really liking the looks of the spear bladeon the two blade. ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_7419.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

gsmith7158 wrote:I'm really liking the looks of the spear bladeon the two blade. ::tu::

Me too. The 2016 run of #14's also had a swedged spear and I really like mine. I think a dark gray evenly forced patina would look great on the blades against the white bone. With a highly polished ribbon along the sharpened edge. If only it were a sheepsfoot main with a pen secondary! ::hmm::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

2 Blade smooth white bone available at KSF today.
SSk
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Per TSA Knives, GEC will soon release
an 061119 acrylic templar knife.
Check out the info on the TSA blog.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Stephen wrote:Per TSA Knives, GEC will soon release
an 061119 acrylic templar knife.
Check out the info on the TSA blog.
CK had early reserves on that yesterday. Sorry. I posted earlier that it was out but it was just for reserve.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

What a dandy knife this one is. Dandy was the word that came to mind when I opened it today. Smooth white bone 2 blade 06 Pemberton. My wife is coveting this one.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5232.jpeg
IMG_5233.jpeg
IMG_5234.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It does look 'dandy' ! I think it is a much better knife than the Wharncliffe single blade version, better looking and more useful.
You have a winner there Mark.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:It does look 'dandy' ! I think it is a much better knife than the Wharncliffe single blade version, better looking and more useful.
You have a winner there Mark.
kj
Thanks Roland. I like it better too. I just got an email from CK that the stag 2 blades will be posted tonight for those who reserved. So we shall see if the stag 2 blades are as nice as expected. I’m guessing they will be.
Mark
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:What a dandy knife this one is. Dandy was the word that came to mind when I opened it today. Smooth white bone 2 blade 06 Pemberton. My wife is coveting this one.
SSk
That sure is nice! So what happened was... I wanted one, and this past Sunday I saw that only one was available from the bigger distributors. I assumed that everyone else was already sold out, so I was going to grab it. But when I went to check out, they were charging for shipping (gasp!) when this particular site used to ship for free. So I backed out and grabbed a blue jigged bone Tidioute from another distributor who still ships for free. Then yesterday and today I see at least two other mainstream distributors who have the white NW 2-blades, and I think they still ship free also. Meanwhile my blue Tidioute is enroute. I thought about grabbing a white bone NW and returning the Tidioute, but it would cost me maybe $20 in shipping, restocking fees, and a few dollars in the cost of the knife. So I'm going to stick with my Tidioute and be content to gawk at the pics of the white bone NW's that you guys post here. I don't own a blue knife and this one looks pretty good. The jigging looks smooth so I can't wait to find out how it feels in the hand. I intend for this knife to be a sort of "utility" knife to pair with a nice gentlemen's single blade folder, and the Tidioute brand is ideal as a user. I'll try to post some comparison pics, maybe this weekend. Main spear compared to a 78/44 pen, and sheepsfoot compared to a Buck 303.

-Lee
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote:Yes. Did you look at them ? They look like a Rough Rider which is not an insult to either. The strange quasi-jigging on the blue bone looks more like bone from China than USA. Ya think GEC is contracting out to Rough Rider ? :shock:
This is the one I received from TPK this week. I dig the jigging (more like scratting) and the variations in the dye absorption, but apparently I'm in the minority on that one. ::shrug::
2019-02-26_10-10-05.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:What a dandy knife this one is. Dandy was the word that came to mind when I opened it today. Smooth white bone 2 blade 06 Pemberton. My wife is coveting this one.
Glad I'm not married! :lol: The other GEC that arrived this week was the 2-blade smooth white bone, or the "coke beagle" since it so closely matches the #18 2-blade dogleg run of 2016. I think of the single-blade Wharnie #06 as the"coyote bottle." ::paranoid:: Both knives W&T, are super snappy and have top notch F&F.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

m0nk wrote: Then yesterday and today I see at least two other mainstream distributors who have the white NW 2-blades, and I think they still ship free also. Meanwhile my blue Tidioute is enroute. I thought about grabbing a white bone NW and returning the Tidioute, but it would cost me maybe $20 in shipping, restocking fees, and a few dollars in the cost of the knife. So I'm going to stick with my Tidioute and be content to gawk at the pics of the white bone NW's that you guys post here.
I meant to say "NF" not "NW". I was referring to the white bone 2-blade Northfield. Sorry for any confusion. Probably subconscious wishful thinking that we could be sitting here talking about buying Northwoods knives on something other than a lolly scramble basis.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Tsar Bomba wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:Yes. Did you look at them ? They look like a Rough Rider which is not an insult to either. The strange quasi-jigging on the blue bone looks more like bone from China than USA. Ya think GEC is contracting out to Rough Rider ? :shock:
This is the one I received from TPK this week. I dig the jigging (more like scratting) and the variations in the dye absorption, but apparently I'm in the minority on that one. ::shrug::

2019-02-26_10-10-05.jpg
Glad I'm not married! :lol: The other GEC that arrived this week was the 2-blade smooth white bone, or the "coke beagle" since it so closely matches the #18 2-blade dogleg run of 2016. I think of the single-blade Wharnie #06 as the"coyote bottle." ::paranoid:: Both knives W&T, are super snappy and have top notch F&F.
That blue Robeson is a handsome knife. Those two side by side are quite a pair. I’m very fond of blue bone done right and that Robeson is a fine example of blue bone done right. I have a Marbles w/ blue bone and very similar jigging on an English Jack that is one of my favorites.
When you see your two side by side, the blue bone Permberton looks better, for some reason, than it did on the promo pictures.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I have had two chances now to get the 06 Templar and I passed both times. Am I alone in not being excited about these? There is just something I don’t like about them, maybe it’s the bolsters, not sure. What do others think?
SSk
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Yeah the Templar is not my cup of tea..
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

They remind me of the kind of knife you might have won at a summer carnival as a kid. I realize there is no comparison in the quality. It is the look of the knife.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Tsar Bomba wrote:

2019-02-26_10-10-05.jpg

I know I already commented on that Robeson but I love that knife. Does that pattern have a name? I know it’s a whittler, but it looks like a tuxedo whittler. Is there such a knife?
SSk
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:I know I already commented on that Robeson but I love that knife. Does that pattern have a name? I know it’s a whittler, but it looks like a tuxedo whittler. Is there such a knife?
I think of it as a "swell-center whittler." Tuxedo purists might object because it's not equal-ended and it's bigger than most tuxedos at around 3 1/2" closed. It's like a slightly exaggerated Camillus 72 frame. I've got designs on a large spear whittler from the main Queen line but this is my only Queen-built whittler of any kind so far, so I can't make any direct comparisons.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Swell center whittler is the correct name. It is an old pattern, likely first made in Sheffield in 1800's.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”