GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
m0nk

Re: GEC 06 Pemberton’s in at KSF

Post by m0nk »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:What a dandy knife this one is. Dandy was the word that came to mind when I opened it today. Smooth white bone 2 blade 06 Pemberton. My wife is coveting this one.
SSk
That sure is nice! So what happened was... I wanted one, and this past Sunday I saw that only one was available from the bigger distributors. I assumed that everyone else was already sold out, so I was going to grab it. But when I went to check out, they were charging for shipping (gasp!) when this particular site used to ship for free. So I backed out and grabbed a blue jigged bone Tidioute from another distributor who still ships for free. Then yesterday and today I see at least two other mainstream distributors who have the white NW 2-blades, and I think they still ship free also. Meanwhile my blue Tidioute is enroute. I thought about grabbing a white bone NW and returning the Tidioute, but it would cost me maybe $20 in shipping, restocking fees, and a few dollars in the cost of the knife. So I'm going to stick with my Tidioute and be content to gawk at the pics of the white bone NW's that you guys post here. I don't own a blue knife and this one looks pretty good. The jigging looks smooth so I can't wait to find out how it feels in the hand. I intend for this knife to be a sort of "utility" knife to pair with a nice gentlemen's single blade folder, and the Tidioute brand is ideal as a user. I'll try to post some comparison pics, maybe this weekend. Main spear compared to a 78/44 pen, and sheepsfoot compared to a Buck 303.

-Lee
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote:Yes. Did you look at them ? They look like a Rough Rider which is not an insult to either. The strange quasi-jigging on the blue bone looks more like bone from China than USA. Ya think GEC is contracting out to Rough Rider ? :shock:
This is the one I received from TPK this week. I dig the jigging (more like scratting) and the variations in the dye absorption, but apparently I'm in the minority on that one. ::shrug::
2019-02-26_10-10-05.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:What a dandy knife this one is. Dandy was the word that came to mind when I opened it today. Smooth white bone 2 blade 06 Pemberton. My wife is coveting this one.
Glad I'm not married! :lol: The other GEC that arrived this week was the 2-blade smooth white bone, or the "coke beagle" since it so closely matches the #18 2-blade dogleg run of 2016. I think of the single-blade Wharnie #06 as the"coyote bottle." ::paranoid:: Both knives W&T, are super snappy and have top notch F&F.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

m0nk wrote: Then yesterday and today I see at least two other mainstream distributors who have the white NW 2-blades, and I think they still ship free also. Meanwhile my blue Tidioute is enroute. I thought about grabbing a white bone NW and returning the Tidioute, but it would cost me maybe $20 in shipping, restocking fees, and a few dollars in the cost of the knife. So I'm going to stick with my Tidioute and be content to gawk at the pics of the white bone NW's that you guys post here.
I meant to say "NF" not "NW". I was referring to the white bone 2-blade Northfield. Sorry for any confusion. Probably subconscious wishful thinking that we could be sitting here talking about buying Northwoods knives on something other than a lolly scramble basis.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:Yes. Did you look at them ? They look like a Rough Rider which is not an insult to either. The strange quasi-jigging on the blue bone looks more like bone from China than USA. Ya think GEC is contracting out to Rough Rider ? :shock:
This is the one I received from TPK this week. I dig the jigging (more like scratting) and the variations in the dye absorption, but apparently I'm in the minority on that one. ::shrug::

2019-02-26_10-10-05.jpg
Glad I'm not married! :lol: The other GEC that arrived this week was the 2-blade smooth white bone, or the "coke beagle" since it so closely matches the #18 2-blade dogleg run of 2016. I think of the single-blade Wharnie #06 as the"coyote bottle." ::paranoid:: Both knives W&T, are super snappy and have top notch F&F.
That blue Robeson is a handsome knife. Those two side by side are quite a pair. I’m very fond of blue bone done right and that Robeson is a fine example of blue bone done right. I have a Marbles w/ blue bone and very similar jigging on an English Jack that is one of my favorites.
When you see your two side by side, the blue bone Permberton looks better, for some reason, than it did on the promo pictures.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I have had two chances now to get the 06 Templar and I passed both times. Am I alone in not being excited about these? There is just something I don’t like about them, maybe it’s the bolsters, not sure. What do others think?
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Yeah the Templar is not my cup of tea..
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

They remind me of the kind of knife you might have won at a summer carnival as a kid. I realize there is no comparison in the quality. It is the look of the knife.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Tsar Bomba wrote:

2019-02-26_10-10-05.jpg

I know I already commented on that Robeson but I love that knife. Does that pattern have a name? I know it’s a whittler, but it looks like a tuxedo whittler. Is there such a knife?
SSk
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:I know I already commented on that Robeson but I love that knife. Does that pattern have a name? I know it’s a whittler, but it looks like a tuxedo whittler. Is there such a knife?
I think of it as a "swell-center whittler." Tuxedo purists might object because it's not equal-ended and it's bigger than most tuxedos at around 3 1/2" closed. It's like a slightly exaggerated Camillus 72 frame. I've got designs on a large spear whittler from the main Queen line but this is my only Queen-built whittler of any kind so far, so I can't make any direct comparisons.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Swell center whittler is the correct name. It is an old pattern, likely first made in Sheffield in 1800's.
kj
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I bought 2-#06 Templars this morning.
One of each color.
Bought them on eBay from Circle A Knives.
He had 5 of each color available
and they all sold out in about 30 minutes. $69.95 each with free shipping. ::ds::
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

I didn't pick up any 06's until I saw the Templar. Picked up 2 blue and 1 red. I like the Templar models and wish I had picked up the earlier ones. If they ever do a run of Templar 66 Calf Ropers I'm going to be in big trouble.
Trace
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

My two new pemertons are on the bottom. Where's the beef?
Attachments
20190302_112213.jpg
IMG_4873.JPG
IMG_4874.JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

gsmith7158 wrote:My two new pemertons are on the bottom. Where's the beef?

Nice Greg. I like these 2 blade better than the 1 blade wharncliffe. I will have to put them all together for a photo.
Here are my 2 white and 2 stage 2 blade Pembertons. These make for a heck of a nice photograph.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5235.jpeg
IMG_5236.jpeg
IMG_5237.jpeg
IMG_5238.jpeg
IMG_5239.jpeg
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:My two new pemertons are on the bottom. Where's the beef?

Nice Greg. I like these 2 blade better than the 1 blade wharncliffe. I will have to put them all together for a photo.
Here are my 2 white and 2 stage 2 blade Pembertons. These make for a heck of a nice photograph.
SSk
Nice shots of a nice groups of knives.
Looking good.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Just arrived. It's my first Templar. I like it, a lot.
2019 #06 Templar Crusader Acrylic
Trace
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

TraditionalPocketknives has the acrylic Templars in stock as of today. I had to get the set... ::facepalm::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Tsar Bomba wrote:TraditionalPocketknives has the acrylic Templars in stock as of today. I had to get the set... ::facepalm::
You *had* to get the set. I'm glad I don't have such a compulsive urge to buy knives! Must be a terrible affliction. ::teary_eyes::

So here's my contribution to the Pemberton photo roundup. I really like this little knife! The jigging is smooth to the touch, no cheese grater feel here.
blue_06_1.jpg
Here's a comparison of smalls, the Pemberton next to a Case Peanut. Nearly the same size and blade lengths. The Peanut gave me an appreciation for small pocket knives, which set me up for the Pemberton.
pemberton_peanut_comp_1.jpg
Now for a comparison of the #6 main spear with a #14 spear and a #78 pen blade, just for fun:
spear_pen_06-14-78_comp.jpg
Finally, here's a large, medium, and tiny sheepsfoot comparison:
sheepsfoot_comp_06.jpg
Does anyone know the historical reason for having a tiny sheepsfoot on a pocketknife, or what it was classically used for?

- Lee
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

m0nk wrote:
Tsar Bomba wrote:TraditionalPocketknives has the acrylic Templars in stock as of today. I had to get the set... ::facepalm::
You *had* to get the set. I'm glad I don't have such a compulsive urge to buy knives! Must be a terrible affliction. ::teary_eyes::

So here's my contribution to the Pemberton photo roundup. I really like this little knife! The jigging is smooth to the touch, no cheese grater feel here.
blue_06_1.jpg

Here's a comparison of smalls, the Pemberton next to a Case Peanut. Nearly the same size and blade lengths. The Peanut gave me an appreciation for small pocket knives, which set me up for the Pemberton.
pemberton_peanut_comp_1.jpg

Now for a comparison of the #6 main spear with a #14 spear and a #78 pen blade, just for fun:
spear_pen_06-14-78_comp.jpg

Finally, here's a large, medium, and tiny sheepsfoot comparison:
sheepsfoot_comp_06.jpg

Does anyone know the historical reason for having a tiny sheepsfoot on a pocketknife, or what it was classically used for?

- Lee
Lee, I think that is a blade made for whittling. Nice side by sides. My Pemberton’s seem bigger than a peanut but after seeing your photo’s I realize that it isn’t. It must be the blade width that makes it seem that way.
SSk
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks for the parade Monk. That is some great comparisons of some great looking knives. ::nod:: ::tu::
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Lee, I think that is a blade made for whittling. Nice side by sides. My Pemberton’s seem bigger than a peanut but after seeing your photo’s I realize that it isn’t. It must be the blade width that makes it seem that way.
SSk
Thanks! Yes, the Peanut is a slimmer knife with a narrower blade so I'd say the Pemberton is more knife even though frame and blade lengths are the same as a Peanut. I thought I was tired of spear blades but I see this little Pem spear kind of like a broad pen blade. I like it even more than I thought I would.
doglegg wrote:Thanks for the parade Monk. That is some great comparisons of some great looking knives. ::nod:: ::tu::
Glad you liked it! Oddly enough, I still don't think I have the "right" sheepsfoot for every occasion. I just don't like to carry a stockman all the time, there's something about each of the frame shapes I have that I don't like. Hopefully GEC will make more small frame sheepsfoot knives soon. Like another 14 or 15 with sheepsfoot main. I know lots were made in the past and people are probably tired of them, but I missed out on those runs.

- Lee
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

I have to say, I'm not too pleased with mine. I bought the 06 Blue handle with the two blades with the Tidioute shield. I failed to look at the size before I purchased and have no one to blame but myself. I think the quality is nice but certainly should be considering the price for such a small knife. I'll throw it in the collection but I'm not impressed.
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

JSR Sports & More has a fresh batch of #06 Pemberton knives . These #06 knives are left overs from Rendezvous 2019. I bought an #06 Pemberton white bone wharncliffe single blade. JSR Sports & More has 6 different #06 Pemberton knives to choose from at the original low release date price. I missed the white bone #06, but I got one coming in the mail now.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”