What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Stephen
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Postby Stephen » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:11 pm


User avatar
RalphAlsip
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1927
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:01 pm
Location: Texas

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Postby RalphAlsip » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:55 pm

kootenay joe wrote:Quote: "I just updated the message with the photos originally posted by Big Monk in 2011."
Stephen i am not seeing the pictures. Did you post them in this thread ?
kj

Stephen wrote:

This link should take you directly to the post with the pictures - I hope :)
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22522&start=15#p191646

User avatar
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 7800
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:25 pm
Location: Marietta, Ga. 35% of the time

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Postby gsmith7158 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:23 am

RalphAlsip wrote:Piling on to comments about the #29 - of the patterns publicized for 2019 this is the one I am anticipating the most. My hopes for handles are yellow rose and a classic bone jig such as peach seed. Giraffe would be nice, but seems highly unlikely unless Northwoods is getting a SFO from this frame.


Jerry I too think the 29 will be an instant classic, but I am disappointed that no one has any expectations that there will be any sort of exotic handle material from GEC. What a shame. Are those days gone for good?
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

eveled
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 613
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Postby eveled » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:09 am

I’d like to see a copy of the 10th mountain knife. With one change. Instead of a Phillips bit. Put a 1/4 inch magnetic bit holder. So you can replace the bit or use a different bit. Has to have the flat staple bail.
1CBC10B9-AB51-4A1C-BA63-A70D31C75BA7.jpeg

User avatar
KnifeSlinger#81
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 3322
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:50 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Postby KnifeSlinger#81 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:56 am

If they made a copy of a 10th mountain knife I'd definitely buy one.
-Paul T.

Always looking for excellent to mint condition schrade cut co and walden knives. I really like stockman and cattle patterns.

Camillus for sale
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=62242

Modern Slip Joints
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:15 am

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Postby Modern Slip Joints » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:45 pm

I want GEC to make a 97 large Coke bottle with an edge that is straight from its choil to the start of the curve up to its point. To avoid writing something negative in the 97 thread I've bit my toungue but it has to be said, GEC made what should have been a very traditional design in such a way that it can not be sharpened in the tradition way, on a flat rectangular stone. I wanted to like 97 Cokes and buy a few but I can't and won't. Recurved blades have no place in traditionals. With thousands of frames left to assemble is there hope GEC might offer some with good blades?

User avatar
m0nk
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Postby m0nk » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:31 pm

Modern Slip Joints wrote:I want GEC to make a 97 large Coke bottle with an edge that is straight from its choil to the start of the curve up to its point. To avoid writing something negative in the 97 thread I've bit my toungue but it has to be said, GEC made what should have been a very traditional design in such a way that it can not be sharpened in the tradition way, on a flat rectangular stone. I wanted to like 97 Cokes and buy a few but I can't and won't. Recurved blades have no place in traditionals. With thousands of frames left to assemble is there hope GEC might offer some with good blades?


Here, here! I also intensely dislike the downward drooped, recurved blade on the 97. With its size it looks almost like a kukri. ::td:: What happened to the straight clip blades of the 77? Is GEC ever going to do another run of 77s? If they care at all about sales, and want to do a large run, instead of these funny looking niche Coke bottles why not do a run of 77s for the Average Joe who just wants a "practical" (since it's in their logo!) pocketknife and not an oddity? Single clip and clip/pen 77s would sell and actually be appreciated by more people than the hardcore, "it's a traditional design from a page in history" type of buyer.

While I'm at it... Thankfully, the CK Early Reserve email said the #12 run would be a limited run, so hopefully it will be brief and short like the recent 99 run, and GEC can get back to making some decent pocket cutlery again.

- Lee

eveled
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 613
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Postby eveled » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:43 pm

A 2 blade sway back jack Loom Fixer would be nice too.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 7961
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Postby kootenay joe » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:33 am

I think the recurve blade will sharpen up fairly easily with 'V-Rods', like the SpyderCo sharpener. With the downward stroke you should be able to keep the edge on the ceramic sharpening rod.
The blade was designed for sharp looks.
kj

User avatar
Tsar Bomba
Posts: 3170
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:14 am

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Postby Tsar Bomba » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:42 am

m0nk wrote:While I'm at it... Thankfully, the CK Early Reserve email said the #12 run would be a limited run, so hopefully it will be brief and short like the recent 99 run, and GEC can get back to making some decent pocket cutlery again.

Like the #29 punch whittler! ::ds::

kootenay joe wrote:The blade was designed for sharp looks.

What happened to buying a knife for sharp... cutting? ::shrug:: ::hmm:: ::poke:: :mrgreen:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 7961
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Postby kootenay joe » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:25 am

What percentage of GEC knives sold to date have become users ? I bet less than 10%. Hence GEC's customers mostly want good looks as well as first rate workmanship. How easy/hard to sharpen the blade is not a consideration for the 90% who buy to collect.
kj

User avatar
KnifeSlinger#81
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 3322
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:50 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Postby KnifeSlinger#81 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:42 am

m0nk wrote:
Modern Slip Joints wrote:I want GEC to make a 97 large Coke bottle with an edge that is straight from its choil to the start of the curve up to its point. To avoid writing something negative in the 97 thread I've bit my toungue but it has to be said, GEC made what should have been a very traditional design in such a way that it can not be sharpened in the tradition way, on a flat rectangular stone. I wanted to like 97 Cokes and buy a few but I can't and won't. Recurved blades have no place in traditionals. With thousands of frames left to assemble is there hope GEC might offer some with good blades?


Here, here! I also intensely dislike the downward drooped, recurved blade on the 97. With its size it looks almost like a kukri. ::td:: What happened to the straight clip blades of the 77? Is GEC ever going to do another run of 77s? If they care at all about sales, and want to do a large run, instead of these funny looking niche Coke bottles why not do a run of 77s for the Average Joe who just wants a "practical" (since it's in their logo!) pocketknife and not an oddity? Single clip and clip/pen 77s would sell and actually be appreciated by more people than the hardcore, "it's a traditional design from a page in history" type of buyer.

While I'm at it... Thankfully, the CK Early Reserve email said the #12 run would be a limited run, so hopefully it will be brief and short like the recent 99 run, and GEC can get back to making some decent pocket cutlery again.

- Lee


The 97 is not a recurve. That kind of clip has been used on gec's for a long time but not all of them have it. Gec has used that blade on small stubby knives (like a 25 clip) and I do not like it on those but I think the 97 blade looks good. That's not to say it couldn't be better, which it could. The gec clip points like the 97 with the downwards angle and fairly abrupt curve to the point could be a more gradual curve that stretches the tip longer and into a more fine point. This looks better and is easier to sharpen.
-Paul T.

Always looking for excellent to mint condition schrade cut co and walden knives. I really like stockman and cattle patterns.

Camillus for sale
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=62242

Modern Slip Joints
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:15 am

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Postby Modern Slip Joints » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:00 am

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote: [...] The 97 is not a recurve. [...]
Hold a ruler to the edge of any of the 97 blades in the numerous pictures in threads and the curve will be obvious.

A large Coke bottle that a cousin owns has been in the family for a long time. It has been used to dress and skin a lot of deer and was recently used by his daughter for that. Before Buck 110s and their copies pushed Large Coke bottles and daddy barlows out of hardware store displays both were common knives for hunters. Even though I've been collecting them for awhile GEC's 97 is the first large Coke bottle that I've seen with a recurved blade. Admittedly it's unlikely that I'll use all of my large Coke bottle knives but that does not make me want to want to buy one that makes me look like an idiot. As an alternative to GEC's recured blade I bought a more expensive Case 51050L Classic large Coke bottle.

I'm done writing about this specific complaint.

Onearmbladejunkie
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:23 pm
Contact:

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Postby Onearmbladejunkie » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:13 am

I want GEC to make a #97 Allegheny knife with a swing-guard. Brass bolsters and a curvy style brass swing-guard ! A real old school knife. Oily Creek bone , autumn leaf bone , & tiger maple wood

Ajd3530
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:08 am
Location: NE TN

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Postby Ajd3530 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:37 pm

Onearmbladejunkie wrote:I want GEC to make a #97 Allegheny knife with a swing-guard. Brass bolsters and a curvy style brass swing-guard ! A real old school knife. Oily Creek bone , autumn leaf bone , & tiger maple wood


I think a #97 with an ornate swing gaurd would be a bit much, borderline gawdy. That said, with a blade this size, it would have been nice if at least some of them had been liner locks.


Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Open Range-19, RalphAlsip and 12 guests