What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Post by kootenay joe »

Jerry, are those 4 #98 pattern knives yours ? If so you had a lot of foresight to get them when they first came out. The bone handled ones are hard to find now.
Yes i love my Texas Camp Knife but i carry it in a belt sheath, not free in my pocket. I like carrying in a belt sheath anyway, not just this #98.
kj
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Thanks Jerry and Lee for the info. :D
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I want Great Eastern Cutlery to make a #97 swing-guard lock knife Northfield sabre clip blade. I want to see more knives in Oily Creek bone , Blueberry jigged bone , and Autumn Leaf bone. Schatt & Morgan made a humpback lock whittler. That would make a great GEC knife.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I'd like to see GEC make a limited run of serialized big knives(sunfish, whalers, big coke bottles, or #23 pioneers) with mammoth ivory handles. Maybe with engraved bolsters, fluted handles, etc.
I would be happy to pay $600, $700, $800 or maybe even more for one of those.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

When folks are getting $600, $700, even $800 on eBay for short-run wood or bone Whalers already, there's probably not a lot of impetus for GEC to run more with very exotic handles using machining they probably thought they could retire forever. ::disgust::

Wish they would anyway, though. ::paranoid:: ::smirk::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I've been accumulating the Tuna Valley mammoth handle knives. I'm crazy about mammoth ivory. About 7 or 8 years ago I bought a pair of GEC mammoth handle sunfish knives.
One is interior mammoth and the other is exterior mammoth.
They are beauties.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Stephen have you posted pictures of your 2 mammoth sunfish knives ? If you have can you please post a link. If no pictures posted then how about posting here ? I think they are a #36 pattern and we all would really like to see them.
kj
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Kj:
I just updated the message with the photos originally posted by Big Monk in 2011.
rjrsky

Post by rjrsky »

I would like them to remake 570311.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Stephen wrote:I've been accumulating the Tuna Valley mammoth handle knives. I'm crazy about mammoth ivory. About 7 or 8 years ago I bought a pair of GEC mammoth handle sunfish knives.
One is interior mammoth and the other is exterior mammoth.
They are beauties.
Does the interior mammoth have more of a white color that looks closer to elephant?
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

The new GEC#29 release will happen later this year. I hope that AAPK will order this for our 2019 AAPK club member Northfield #29 knife. I hope AAPK orders a rare popular color like smooth Oily Creek bone , Blueberry jigged bone , Autumn Leaf bone , or Tiger Maple Wood !!!!
291319-TIDIOUTE-NORTHFIELD-768x594.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

That punch whittler will probably retail well over $100 and that might prevent an SFO from AAPK, but I for one would be willing to pay for it (in advance if need be) - and still try for a sure thing reservation from dealers when they are offered. :mrgreen:
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Piling on to comments about the #29 - of the patterns publicized for 2019 this is the one I am anticipating the most. My hopes for handles are yellow rose and a classic bone jig such as peach seed. Giraffe would be nice, but seems highly unlikely unless Northwoods is getting a SFO from this frame.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Me too! :wink:
Roger
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "I just updated the message with the photos originally posted by Big Monk in 2011."
Stephen i am not seeing the pictures. Did you post them in this thread ?
kj
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

kootenay joe wrote:Quote: "I just updated the message with the photos originally posted by Big Monk in 2011."
Stephen i am not seeing the pictures. Did you post them in this thread ?
kj
Stephen wrote:
This link should take you directly to the post with the pictures - I hope :)
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22522&start=15#p191646
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

RalphAlsip wrote:Piling on to comments about the #29 - of the patterns publicized for 2019 this is the one I am anticipating the most. My hopes for handles are yellow rose and a classic bone jig such as peach seed. Giraffe would be nice, but seems highly unlikely unless Northwoods is getting a SFO from this frame.
Jerry I too think the 29 will be an instant classic, but I am disappointed that no one has any expectations that there will be any sort of exotic handle material from GEC. What a shame. Are those days gone for good?
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
eveled

Post by eveled »

I’d like to see a copy of the 10th mountain knife. With one change. Instead of a Phillips bit. Put a 1/4 inch magnetic bit holder. So you can replace the bit or use a different bit. Has to have the flat staple bail.
1CBC10B9-AB51-4A1C-BA63-A70D31C75BA7.jpeg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

If they made a copy of a 10th mountain knife I'd definitely buy one.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I want GEC to make a 97 large Coke bottle with an edge that is straight from its choil to the start of the curve up to its point. To avoid writing something negative in the 97 thread I've bit my toungue but it has to be said, GEC made what should have been a very traditional design in such a way that it can not be sharpened in the tradition way, on a flat rectangular stone. I wanted to like 97 Cokes and buy a few but I can't and won't. Recurved blades have no place in traditionals. With thousands of frames left to assemble is there hope GEC might offer some with good blades?
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Modern Slip Joints wrote:I want GEC to make a 97 large Coke bottle with an edge that is straight from its choil to the start of the curve up to its point. To avoid writing something negative in the 97 thread I've bit my toungue but it has to be said, GEC made what should have been a very traditional design in such a way that it can not be sharpened in the tradition way, on a flat rectangular stone. I wanted to like 97 Cokes and buy a few but I can't and won't. Recurved blades have no place in traditionals. With thousands of frames left to assemble is there hope GEC might offer some with good blades?
Here, here! I also intensely dislike the downward drooped, recurved blade on the 97. With its size it looks almost like a kukri. ::td:: What happened to the straight clip blades of the 77? Is GEC ever going to do another run of 77s? If they care at all about sales, and want to do a large run, instead of these funny looking niche Coke bottles why not do a run of 77s for the Average Joe who just wants a "practical" (since it's in their logo!) pocketknife and not an oddity? Single clip and clip/pen 77s would sell and actually be appreciated by more people than the hardcore, "it's a traditional design from a page in history" type of buyer.

While I'm at it... Thankfully, the CK Early Reserve email said the #12 run would be a limited run, so hopefully it will be brief and short like the recent 99 run, and GEC can get back to making some decent pocket cutlery again.

- Lee
eveled

Post by eveled »

A 2 blade sway back jack Loom Fixer would be nice too.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think the recurve blade will sharpen up fairly easily with 'V-Rods', like the SpyderCo sharpener. With the downward stroke you should be able to keep the edge on the ceramic sharpening rod.
The blade was designed for sharp looks.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

m0nk wrote:While I'm at it... Thankfully, the CK Early Reserve email said the #12 run would be a limited run, so hopefully it will be brief and short like the recent 99 run, and GEC can get back to making some decent pocket cutlery again.
Like the #29 punch whittler! ::ds::
kootenay joe wrote:The blade was designed for sharp looks.
What happened to buying a knife for sharp... cutting? ::shrug:: ::hmm:: ::poke:: :mrgreen:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”