What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

m0nk wrote:I'm also a fan of the #35. I think GEC could produce endless variations on the 35 frame. Every time I carry my Vic Alox Soldier or Electrician I think of the possibilities GEC could realize on the #35.

-Lee
I would LOVE to see a 35 cattle knife.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:I would LOVE to see a 35 cattle knife.
Paul, are you thinking something like this? :) This is a photoshop mock up. The nail nick on the sheepsfoot would probably be facing toward the back on a real knife.
Attachments
GEC 35 Cattle Knife Mock Up.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

RalphAlsip wrote:
KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:I would LOVE to see a 35 cattle knife.
Paul, are you thinking something like this? :) This is a photoshop mock up. The nail nick on the sheepsfoot would probably be facing toward the back on a real knife.
That would be great. Nice photoshop. I prefer a 3rd blade but I'd buy one with a punch too.
-Paul T.

Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 »

m0nk wrote:
Ajd3530 wrote:I personally would love to see the #35 pattern in a stockman configuration, preferably in stainless.

Also think a #14 flipped around version (like the #79 is of the #78) in a single spring, opposite end pen knife would be really neat.
::tu:: Your suggestion of the "flipped" #14 is what I had in mind with the #09 Esquire. At 2-7/8" the 09 is very close to the 3" size of the 14. I'm also a fan of the #35. I think GEC could produce endless variations on the 35 frame. Every time I carry my Vic Alox Soldier or Electrician I think of the possibilities GEC could realize on the #35.

Regarding your opinion of the #13: I don't own a congress knife nor have I handled one, but I know it's a traditional pattern. Can you comment on what you like about the congress shape? You mentioned it feels good in hand, but I don't see the utility in the shape. GEC made a #13 in a sheepsfoot main with a pen secondary, which is the blade configuration I'm looking for in a smallish knife to pair with a medium clip single. But I'm on the fence about the congress pattern. I recently got a Case stockman with square bolsters that actually dig into my palm during use. Do you find the congress square bolsters to be ergonomic?

-Lee
Lee,

I hadn't realized the #09 Esquire was that size, I had always thought it was in the 2 5/8 range like the Pembertons .

To me, granted I do not have especially large hands, the #13 presents no problems in hand. I find its gentle curve fits in quite well along the base of my fingers. Its bolsters are slightly pinched, and I've never had any problems in the pocket with it. It is far more pocket friendly than the Northfiled #61s.
Attachments
20190220_174428.jpg
20190220_174443.jpg
20190220_175656.jpg
20190220_175752.jpg
20190220_180952.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

m0nk wrote:
Ajd3530 wrote:I personally would love to see the #35 pattern in a stockman configuration, preferably in stainless.

Also think a #14 flipped around version (like the #79 is of the #78) in a single spring, opposite end pen knife would be really neat.
::tu:: Your suggestion of the "flipped" #14 is what I had in mind with the #09 Esquire. At 2-7/8" the 09 is very close to the 3" size of the 14. I'm also a fan of the #35. I think GEC could produce endless variations on the 35 frame. Every time I carry my Vic Alox Soldier or Electrician I think of the possibilities GEC could realize on the #35.

Regarding your opinion of the #13: I don't own a congress knife nor have I handled one, but I know it's a traditional pattern. Can you comment on what you like about the congress shape? You mentioned it feels good in hand, but I don't see the utility in the shape. GEC made a #13 in a sheepsfoot main with a pen secondary, which is the blade configuration I'm looking for in a smallish knife to pair with a medium clip single. But I'm on the fence about the congress pattern. I recently got a Case stockman with square bolsters that actually dig into my palm during use. Do you find the congress square bolsters to be ergonomic?

-Lee
Lee, I have several Congresses and I do find them awkward to use and some blades nearly impossible to open. I don’t have a GEC Congress to compare. I have several Case, Boker, Green River, S&M, H&R and others I can’t remember. The Schatt and Morgan is the easiest to open and the easiest on the hands to use. The bolsters are a bit smoother on the ends too.
I found that with Congresses it’s a good idea to try and handle them first before you buy.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Good pics and good info guys, thanks. I wonder if GEC is going to do another run of 15s this year? The last run of Beer Scouts was in 2016. We could only be so lucky to get a run of Beer Scouts, or Soda Scouts, or even Crown Lifters in 2019. Any of those with a classic GEC straight clip blade would be amazing.

This thread has sure brought out a lot of wishes for 2019!

-Lee
Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 »

Ok. Go ahead and give me a Moose on the #35 frame as well. And a single bladed jack with a spear while your at it. Both in Northfield trim. Please and thank you.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

An 81 Abilene, ebony scales with the Templar trim set into the wood. I mean they inset the shields why not at least partially inset the Templar bolsters. Stainless steel blades would really top it off.

I don't think it will ever happen, but a boy can dream can't he...
Trace
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Have they ever done a Camp or Scout knife? I think that would br fantastic. I have been wanting one of these, so a GEC could be my first.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

boykinlp wrote:Have they ever done a Camp or Scout knife? I think that would br fantastic. I have been wanting one of these, so a GEC could be my first.
Larry
GEC Texas Camp Knife
GEC Texas Camp Knife
Trace
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Rotten wrote:
boykinlp wrote:Have they ever done a Camp or Scout knife? I think that would br fantastic. I have been wanting one of these, so a GEC could be my first.
Larry
981416-Antique-Autumn-Jig-Bone-f-1.jpg
You will need good luck to find one that's available and then several dollars to acquire it :) These are hard to come by and who knows if and when they will be produced again.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Rotten wrote:
Larry
Thanks, I'll take one in stag or Ebony. :) How much did they cost in 2016?
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

boykinlp wrote:
Rotten wrote:
Larry
Thanks, I'll take one in stag or Ebony. :) How much did they cost in 2016?
Don't know 2016 price, but there were no stag or ebony. There was a king wood, smooth bone and several jigged bone variants. Best of luck finding one.
Trace
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

boykinlp wrote:[ How much did they cost in 2016?
My recollection is fuzzy because the 98 was also introduced in a Cattle and Whittler variation in addition to the Camp knife. I can't recall if the Camp knife was made in Micarta or not, but assuming it was then the lowest price would have been around $150 and the highest price around $200. The original KSF price for the white bone camp knife pictured below was approximately $170 if I recall correctly. Asking prices are typically $300 or more on the secondary market whenever they show up. The Charlie Campagna SFO versions are even higher.
Attachments
GEC 98 Texas Camp #3 small.jpg
GEC 98 Texas Whttler #3 no background small.jpg
GEC 98 Texas Cattle #3 no background small.jpg
Campagna SFO
Campagna SFO
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Larry
Larry, a #35 Camp Knife would be perfect. Just too obvious to ignore forever so I think GEC should do one eventually. It would probably be more affordable and pocketable than the 98 as well. I say that not having one, meanwhile Roland has posted pics of his 98 camp knife and has reported carrying and using his often. But yes, a camp/scout knife is very useful. If you don't have an example of a camp/scout knife, I highly recommend you go online immediately and get yourself either a Vic Pioneer or Electrician, or a Colonial military/scout knife. Those are abundant, nicely made, affordable at around $42, and rugged. Because we could be waiting a long time for another GEC camp knife, and you shouldn't miss out on another day without the utility of a camp knife. ::tu::

- Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Jerry, are those 4 #98 pattern knives yours ? If so you had a lot of foresight to get them when they first came out. The bone handled ones are hard to find now.
Yes i love my Texas Camp Knife but i carry it in a belt sheath, not free in my pocket. I like carrying in a belt sheath anyway, not just this #98.
kj
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Thanks Jerry and Lee for the info. :D
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I want Great Eastern Cutlery to make a #97 swing-guard lock knife Northfield sabre clip blade. I want to see more knives in Oily Creek bone , Blueberry jigged bone , and Autumn Leaf bone. Schatt & Morgan made a humpback lock whittler. That would make a great GEC knife.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I'd like to see GEC make a limited run of serialized big knives(sunfish, whalers, big coke bottles, or #23 pioneers) with mammoth ivory handles. Maybe with engraved bolsters, fluted handles, etc.
I would be happy to pay $600, $700, $800 or maybe even more for one of those.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

When folks are getting $600, $700, even $800 on eBay for short-run wood or bone Whalers already, there's probably not a lot of impetus for GEC to run more with very exotic handles using machining they probably thought they could retire forever. ::disgust::

Wish they would anyway, though. ::paranoid:: ::smirk::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I've been accumulating the Tuna Valley mammoth handle knives. I'm crazy about mammoth ivory. About 7 or 8 years ago I bought a pair of GEC mammoth handle sunfish knives.
One is interior mammoth and the other is exterior mammoth.
They are beauties.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Stephen have you posted pictures of your 2 mammoth sunfish knives ? If you have can you please post a link. If no pictures posted then how about posting here ? I think they are a #36 pattern and we all would really like to see them.
kj
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Kj:
I just updated the message with the photos originally posted by Big Monk in 2011.
rjrsky

Post by rjrsky »

I would like them to remake 570311.
KnifeSlinger#81

Stephen wrote:I've been accumulating the Tuna Valley mammoth handle knives. I'm crazy about mammoth ivory. About 7 or 8 years ago I bought a pair of GEC mammoth handle sunfish knives.
One is interior mammoth and the other is exterior mammoth.
They are beauties.
Does the interior mammoth have more of a white color that looks closer to elephant?
-Paul T.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”