#82 Dixie Stockmans

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: #82 Dixie Stockmans

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I see tonight that KSF has more of the 82’s in stock. It’s been two and 1/2 hours and they still have stock. Looks like this is a handle material that is not as desirable, it’s canvas Micarta. Wish they had this many in bone.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I've been starting to suspect that the increase in micarta knives is reflective of GEC's desire to bring the costs down for handle materials. It would also explain why the stag offerings are almost always short runs these days, and the fact that we haven't seen any sort of ivory or exotic bone (minus the NW camel bones of recent vintage) in a fairly long time (short of the #18 which has, frankly, TINY slabs of bone on it).

I hope I'm wrong about that. I almost always favor organic handles over laminates/composition.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I do not like the micarta handles . Will not buy these.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

gsmith7158 wrote:I do not like the micarta handles . Will not buy these.
CK just informed me that the bone 82’s are in. Glad I didn’t jump on the Micarta. Hope you get one too.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Gone by the time I got home.

The micarta 82s are still in stock with no signs of disappearing.

Let this be a lesson to GEC and Bill Howard.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K., so Micarta is not that desired by us GEC fanatics. This allows the casual knife buyer a chance to buy a GEC knife and this increases their customer base. Some of the 'casual buyers' will be impressed enough to seek out another GEC knife.
If there were no Micarta GEC or only a few, then all of the new GEC knives would be immediately sucked up by us Fanatics and nobody else could ever get one.
Making a bunch with Micarta is a good idea even though i don't want one.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:O.K., so Micarta is not that desired by us GEC fanatics. This allows the casual knife buyer a chance to buy a GEC knife and this increases their customer base. Some of the 'casual buyers' will be impressed enough to seek out another GEC knife.
If there were no Micarta GEC or only a few, then all of the new GEC knives would be immediately sucked up by us Fanatics and nobody else could ever get one.
Making a bunch with Micarta is a good idea even though i don't want one.
kj
That makes sense. When I was a buyer for a Christian bookstore back in the 80’s for many years. I received some very good advice. Buy 1/3 of what you like, 1/3 of what you aren’t certain about, and 1/3 of what you don’t like and you will cover everyone’s tastes. I think GEC is following that advice when it comes to offerings.
I am not opposed to Micarta. I just didn’t care for this Micarta. Smooth black Micarta is one of my favorites.
SSk
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Old Towne Cutlery Has 4 Bone 82 Pattern on there site
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

kennedy knives wrote:Old Towne Cutlery Has 4 Bone 82 Pattern on there site
as of 5pm cst (and most certainly much sooner) Old Towne was sold out of the jigged bone 82 but I was lucky enough to score the last one JSR Sports had in stock....
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Cletus Awreetus wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:Old Towne Cutlery Has 4 Bone 82 Pattern on there site
as of 5pm cst (and most certainly much sooner) Old Towne was sold out of the jigged bone 82 but I was lucky enough to score the last one JSR Sports had in stock....
Nice going Steve.
SSk
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Bone 82 Just hit KSF also The Knife Connections.net Has them in to. The Knife Connection is about $8.00 cheaper
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: I am not opposed to Micarta. I just didn’t care for this Micarta. Smooth black Micarta is one of my favorites.
SSk
+1 for smooth, shiny, black linen micarta! I like micarta: black, red, muslin, and especially maroon! My maroon Mudbug is really classy, and I briefly had a maroon #35 Churchill that was very very nice. My red micarta NW Fremont Jack is still my favoritest knife. Even canvas OD micarta has its place on certain knives, and I'm sure that a natural canvas micarta would have its place on the right frame. But that frame is definitely not the 82! The 82 in natural canvas micarta is ghastly. The pics of the knife with the spey and muskrat clip blades both all the way open make the whole thing look like a parasite worm, maybe a fluke or a leech. Just nasty. It would look better in Mardi Gras acrylic, which is the worst cover ever. The copperhead bone looks very nice, and the pics make the jigging look more buffed out and smoother than the recent cheese grater jigged bone we've been seeing. But I'm still not getting one. I just can't do a muskrat clip. I hate it. I have a #48 Improved Trapper, but the slimline blade is an whole different look.

What happened to the "natural micarta" they put on a #15 Beer Scout a few years ago? It was almost orange, and very unique. Where are the black *linen* micarta covers? Why do only Northwoods get black linen micarta? Why all the natural canvas micarta?? And while I'm on this rant, why doesn't GEC ever use G-10? Micarta certainly isn't an old-time handle cover, so why not put on some G-10 covers? ::shrug::

[Edit: it was a natural paper micarta Soda Scout. All this is enough to make a guy want to go out and spend $700 on a custom.]
- Lee
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

I think Monks makes perfect sense on the Micarta . Reminds me of a plain Jane . I do like the wharncliff blade . Here is a comparison of the GEC 82's And a Case 6347 HP SSP USA which is a little smaller but will grab your heart strings (Classy) . The Bolsters on the Micarta are brush finish & the Bone 82 is polished . I guess the Micarta my get better with age .
Attachments
GEC 82's & Case 6347 001.JPG
GEC 82's & Case 6347 004.JPG
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Guys, I got a little carried away with my post last night. I was going to edit it and tone it down this morning but I couldn't edit it. Hopefully nobody takes offense, my apologies.

- Lee
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

offense? preach Brother Monk!
and uh, I'm all the way with you on the Crawdad!... ::tu::
Attachments
Mudbug.JPG
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

m0nk wrote:Guys, I got a little carried away with my post last night. I was going to edit it and tone it down this morning but I couldn't edit it. Hopefully nobody takes offense, my apologies.

- Lee
Lee, don’t apologize. One thing that is lacking in this day and age is passion. We can tell you are passionate about this. I like this kind of enthusiasm.
I do disagree about the muskrat clip, I do like the muskrat clip on just about any knife. California clips are right up there too. It might not have been the best choice for this pattern, I will let you know when I get my bone 82, should be here any day now.
SSk
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Thanks for the kind words. I want to keep this light and not put a damper on anyone's enjoyment of their knives.

- Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

m0nk, it is a GREAT post. Don't change it even if you could. You said things that helped me, like how nice the maroon Micarta is on the #35, and other things too.
Good information, well said, keep on truckin' man and post more.
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

m0nk wrote:Guys, I got a little carried away with my post last night. I was going to edit it and tone it down this morning but I couldn't edit it. Hopefully nobody takes offense, my apologies.

- Lee
I also enjoyed your post, Lee and I really like your idea about some G10.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It’s all a matter of preference. I like micarta because I think it’s a great durable natural looking handle material. I ordered a Dixie stockman it natural canvas micarta. I think it looks absolutely great. I would suggest to great eastern that they continue putting out pattens and various flavors of micarta. I also have an OD green Buffalo Jack that I also think is exceptionally nice.

I also have GECs In bone and wood, but I’m not interested in stag.

But, each to his or her own.

(I’m really tempted by a red micarta Bull Moose.)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Hi MichaelScott, Welcome to AAPK. Good first post. I look forward to reading more posts from you.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

There are still micarta and copper head jigged bone 82's available at many dealers. I see that the GEC website shows the Northfield stag 82 as just finished on their website. I would say these will ship and start showing up at dealers this weekend or early next week. I suspect it will be a hot ticket.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got my Dixie stockman today. I love this. It’s much bigger than I realized. The color on the jigged bone is perfect.
The only thing that is a slight negative is the snap, it’s not as strong as other GEC knives that I have. The wharncliffe blade has a weaker snap than the other blades. Seems a little odd that this would be the case. WIll be anxious to see if others notice this or not.
And I do like the clip blade for the main blade, wasn’t sure at first, but I think it’s the right choice.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4971.jpeg
IMG_4972.jpeg
IMG_4973.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Three blade stock knives do have a softer snap than a 1 or 2 blade jack. Check a few vintage stockman or cattle knives and see how they compare with your Dixie.
A blade spring serves 2 functions: keep the blade in the closed position so that blade cannot fall open on it's own; and to hold the blade in the fully open position with enough tension that a minor bump on the spine will not move the blade off fully open position.
Any spring strength beyond what is needed for these 2 functions is a matter of personal preference.
I used to prefer stiffer springs thinking they were 'better', but now i enjoy the ease of opening that comes with slightly softer springs.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:Three blade stock knives do have a softer snap than a 1 or 2 blade jack. Check a few vintage stockman or cattle knives and see how they compare with your Dixie.
A blade spring serves 2 functions: keep the blade in the closed position so that blade cannot fall open on it's own; and to hold the blade in the fully open position with enough tension that a minor bump on the spine will not move the blade off fully open position.
Any spring strength beyond what is needed for these 2 functions is a matter of personal preference.
I used to prefer stiffer springs thinking they were 'better', but now i enjoy the ease of opening that comes with slightly softer springs.
kj
Good to know. I prefer a softer open and close, but so much emphasis on snap from so many makes you think that there is might be something wrong.
It doesn’t bother me, just thinking down the road when someone else gets this knife. I am curious if others say the same thing about this knife when they get theirs.
Thanks Roland.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”