#82 Dixie Stockmans

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
m0nk

Re: #82 Dixie Stockmans

Postby m0nk » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:28 am

kootenay joe wrote:Now the 'other dealers' are also getting sold out soon after posting new GEC knives. Previously CK & KSF would sell out right away and the other dealers might still have a few examples left after 24-48 hours. Now all the GEC dealers are selling rapidly.
kj

Roland,

The last couple of runs since perhaps the #44s have been short runs. The #14 run consisted of mostly SFOs of perhaps 100 pieces each, and the GEC house brand 14s were also limited numbers. So we have not seen big production numbers of a single variant for several months. This is making it hard for an average Joe to get the knife of his choice. For a while we were celebrating the bigger numbers, and then they do these short runs. What I've observed is that, 1. Mr. Howard does what he wants, and, 2. We can't predict what he's going to do next - there don't seem to be any trends. I hate to say it, but GEC seems to be creating artificial shortages again, which is something they've consistently denied doing.

I'm also frustrated at the CK remind system because the reserve drops are no-notice surprises, and I'm rarely at a computer at the right time. My phone is not-so-smart and I usually don't have it with me anyway. I believe Mike is genuinely concerned about being fair and he's doing the best he can, but the frustration is real. At least with the Northwoods drops one has a day's notice to attempt to plan for the scramble.

Getting back to the original post, it looks like the #82 Possum Skinner two-blade will be an opposite end configuration. Anyone know if it will have two backsprings or just one?

- Lee

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:11 pm

I hope the "Possum Skinner" is a single blade knife but i won't bet on it. A 2 blade 1 spring knife is more challenging to get right than a 2 blade 2 spring knife.
If it is a 2 spring knife then the thickness will be the same as the Stockman so it makes more sense to buy the Stockman and get an extra blade.
Schrade made the 77OT Muskrat as both a single spring and a 2 spring knife. Have one of each in hand and you can see how attractive the slim single spring is.
kj

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:44 pm

kootenay joe wrote:I hope the "Possum Skinner" is a single blade knife but i won't bet on it. A 2 blade 1 spring knife is more challenging to get right than a 2 blade 2 spring knife.
If it is a 2 spring knife then the thickness will be the same as the Stockman so it makes more sense to buy the Stockman and get an extra blade.
Schrade made the 77OT Muskrat as both a single spring and a 2 spring knife. Have one of each in hand and you can see how attractive the slim single spring is.
kj

The Micarta canvass stockmans are in this morning. Should I wait to see if one the bone handles comes in or buy this one? It’s not my first choice.
SSk

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby gsmith7158 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:46 pm

Well the micarta stockman is flying off the shelves very quickly. That could be a bad omen for those of us waiting on natural scales. ::teary_eyes::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby JohnR » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Blue Creek Cutlery has some of the micarta.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:19 am

Maybe we should start an "After-Market Club": buy the Micarta ones and get them re-handled in blue-green mammoth. And call them "Northwood" ?
kj

Tsar Bomba

Postby Tsar Bomba » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:36 am

Brilliant! AAPK's knife artisans could give KSF a run for its money. :lol: ::tu::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

313 Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby 313 Mike » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:44 am

Soooo....I was on standby for a micarta 82 stockman at CK, and never got any sort of notice that they were in, or they had one for me, or not. I saw them up briefly on KSF, but didn't pull the trigger because I was waiting to see if my standby at CK was going to come through.
Did anybody here get one today through the CK early reserve system? Or hear anything from them?
In the past when I have missed out on a standby from CK they have sent an email or text to let me know, then I could pursue other options...
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby gsmith7158 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:58 am

313 Mike wrote:Soooo....I was on standby for a micarta 82 stockman at CK, and never got any sort of notice that they were in, or they had one for me, or not. I saw them up briefly on KSF, but didn't pull the trigger because I was waiting to see if my standby at CK was going to come through.
Did anybody here get one today through the CK early reserve system? Or hear anything from them?
In the past when I have missed out on a standby from CK they have sent an email or text to let me know, then I could pursue other options...

I've got a stand by also Mike but no news from Ck although mine is for the stag which hasn't been released yet. I didn't receive any notification on my stand by on the 85 either,
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:59 am

313 Mike wrote:Soooo....I was on standby for a micarta 82 stockman at CK, and never got any sort of notice that they were in, or they had one for me, or not. I saw them up briefly on KSF, but didn't pull the trigger because I was waiting to see if my standby at CK was going to come through.

Mike, I hope they just haven’t gotten theirs out yet, CK that is. I did not get an email from them either. I am checking my email constantly now trying to be on top of these when they come out.
I passed on the Micarta today, it just didn’t grab me. I will hold out for one of the bone ones, if I am lucky.
I like the idea of buying those up and rehandling them.
SSk

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby gsmith7158 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:33 am

Micarta at Gunstock Jack's now. Go get em. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

m0nk

Postby m0nk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:46 am

I certainly wouldn't wait if all I had was a standby. If you want one and you see one, grab it! I'd only wait if I had a sure reservation. The price I saw today at DLT was a little lower than I had expected, around $115. I'm sure the copperhead bone will be a few dollars more. The notification I got from Traditionalpocketknives said they don't have blade rub. Can't wait to hear the assessments of our real buyers here.

- Lee

JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby JohnR » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:18 am

m0nk wrote:

I certainly wouldn't wait if all I had was a standby. If you want one and you see one, grab it! I'd only wait if I had a sure reservation. The price I saw today at DLT was a little lower than I had expected, around $115. I'm sure the copperhead bone will be a few dollars more. The notification I got from Traditionalpocketknives said they don't have blade rub. Can't wait to hear the assessments of our real buyers here.

- Lee

Lee, I have one from an earlier run and it does not have blade rub unless you push the blade over as you are opening it, have to pull straight up.

m0nk

Postby m0nk » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:52 am

True story guys... I had a possum in my garage, for the past week or so. My wife saw it one night last week when we had the door open a little to let in the cats on a cold night, and she shut the door on it, for reasons known only to her. Lots of clutter so I couldn't find it, and leaving the garage door open during the day didn't help either. Today I found out why... there was a metal trash can in the corner, and today I looked in it, and guess what I found inside? The possum. He had somehow gotten inside but couldn't get out. The trash can was up against some shelves, all I can think of is that he climbed up the shelves and fell into the can. So I took the trash can out back and released it tonight.

Lucky for him I don't have a #82 Possum Skinner (or a .22 pistol), otherwise the story could have had a different ending! Also today I saw the first #82 PS production pics, and it does appear to be a single backspring knife.

- Lee

313 Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby 313 Mike » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:43 pm

m0nk wrote:True story guys... I had a possum in my garage, for the past week or so. My wife saw it one night last week when we had the door open a little to let in the cats on a cold night, and she shut the door on it, for reasons known only to her. Lots of clutter so I couldn't find it, and leaving the garage door open during the day didn't help either. Today I found out why... there was a metal trash can in the corner, and today I looked in it, and guess what I found inside? The possum. He had somehow gotten inside but couldn't get out. The trash can was up against some shelves, all I can think of is that he climbed up the shelves and fell into the can. So I took the trash can out back and released it tonight.

Lucky for him I don't have a #82 Possum Skinner (or a .22 pistol), otherwise the story could have had a different ending! Also today I saw the first #82 PS production pics, and it does appear to be a single backspring knife.

- Lee

Nice tie in there Lee! :lol:
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”