#82 Dixie Stockmans

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
m0nk

#82 Dixie Stockmans

Postby m0nk » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:40 am

So who's excited about the run of 82s, Dixie Stockmans and jacks? I assume the 2 blade variant will be in a jack configuration, correct me if anyone has information to the contrary. From the clip blade style preference survey last month, I know there's a lot of muskrat clip fans out there in AAPK Land!

After a long anticipated production schedule update, and with Christmas coming up fast...they come out with a run of 82s. The production pics of the copperhead bone are looking pretty nice. Nevertheless, I don't think there will be a GEC tube under my Christmas tree this year. :( I was really hoping for a big crowd-pleaser run this time of year, like 77s or something for the masses.

What do you guys think?

-Lee

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: #82 Dixie Stockmans

Postby gsmith7158 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:41 am

Lee I like the looks of it . I've got a 3 blade stag on standby at CK. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:25 pm

m0nk wrote:So who's excited about the run of 82s, Dixie Stockmans and jacks? I assume the 2 blade variant will be in a jack configuration, correct me if anyone has information to the contrary. From the clip blade style preference survey last month, I know there's a lot of muskrat clip fans out there in AAPK Land!

After a long anticipated production schedule update, and with Christmas coming up fast...they come out with a run of 82s. The production pics of the copperhead bone are looking pretty nice. Nevertheless, I don't think there will be a GEC tube under my Christmas tree this year. :( I was really hoping for a big crowd-pleaser run this time of year, like 77s or something for the masses.

What do you guys think?

-Lee

Lee, I am on stand by w/ CK for 3 different handles. I didn’t mean to sign up for more than one, but there was something funny going on w/ my iPad and I wasn’t getting a response on my first choice or my second so I put in a third choice. I thought I had missed out completely. Then later I get an email saying that I am on stand by for 3 knives. So if I get that many, I might be willing to part with one of them. SInce it was my mistake I felt obligated to take all three if I would happen to get all of them, I always keep my word even if it’s a mistake.
And to answer your question, yes I am excited. I just started collecting GEC’s this year and these are my first reserve knives to be on stand by for. Don’t know what to expect as far as whether I will actually get any or all. I have managed to be quick enough to get a TC Barlow a few weeks ago and a pattern they call Wallstreet. Can’t remember the pattern number and haven’t photographed it yet, just came late yesterday afternoon.
I can’t wait to see how they do a stockman, which is my favorite pattern.
SSk

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:37 pm

I believe "Wallstreet" was the first #99.
kj

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:56 pm

kootenay joe wrote:I believe "Wallstreet" was the first #99.
kj

It is pattern #99. You are correct. Had to look it up. You really know your GEC’s Roland.
SSk

m0nk

Postby m0nk » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:And to answer your question, yes I am excited. I just started collecting GEC’s this year and these are my first reserve knives to be on stand by for. Don’t know what to expect as far as whether I will actually get any or all. I have managed to be quick enough to get a TC Barlow a few weeks ago and a pattern they call Wallstreet. Can’t remember the pattern number and haven’t photographed it yet, just came late yesterday afternoon.
I can’t wait to see how they do a stockman, which is my favorite pattern.
SSk

SSk,

If you're looking for a larger stockman with a muskrat clip main, then the 82 should be right up your alley. I haven't checked the Mailcall thread... be sure to post pics of your TC and Wallstreet if you haven't already! Last I looked, several distributors still had the 66 Calf Ropers on the shelves, if you want a smaller GEC stockman (3.5") and you want it now. I've heard rave reviews about them.

I knew there would be guys interested in the 82s, and that's what makes the world go round. I'm just a little disappointed because the price point on the 82s is going to be a little above what I'd want to spend for Christmas gifts. Last year you could pick up a #78 single blade for around $80. If they offered something like that this year I'd probably grab one for both of my sons, who knows. But I'm guessing $115-$120 for the Tidioute 82s, and the design just doesn't appeal to me. But you can bet that GEC is going to do this right. I've never handled a GEC stockman before. Any reports of blade rub? Anyone have pics they can post of previous run 82s?

-Lee

cbnutt

Postby cbnutt » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:45 pm

Is this the stockman they did before that's about like a case 63047 ? I didn't get one before , when are they coming out with it ? Does anyone elese think if they done a version like the case 6318 it would be a good seller . id be all over it if they did a 18 style . ::tu::
Shoot low sheriff, he's ridin a Shetland.....

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby gsmith7158 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:05 pm

cbnutt wrote:Is this the stockman they did before that's about like a case 63047 ? I didn't get one before , when are they coming out with it ? Does anyone elese think if they done a version like the case 6318 it would be a good seller . id be all over it if they did a 18 style . ::tu::

These are are a relatively large stockman at 4 1/8 inches closed. They would be more like a 6392 or a 6375 except they have rounded bolsters.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:46 pm

I like rounded bolsters.
kj

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:55 pm

How do you guys get onto the CK reserve list ? Do you check the website 2-3x per day ? Every time i check the CK website the reserve lists are full & closed.
Does CK sell all of the new GEC's by reserve ? Or are some also posted for those who do not have a knife reserved ?
kj

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Railsplitter » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:08 pm

kootenay joe wrote:How do you guys get onto the CK reserve list ? Do you check the website 2-3x per day ? Every time i check the CK website the reserve lists are full & closed.
Does CK sell all of the new GEC's by reserve ? Or are some also posted for those who do not have a knife reserved ?
kj

I can only answer your first question with any degree of accuracy. I get a text message from CKnet when he opens up a reserve. I signed up for that option a few years ago.
Rick T.
My Uncle owns a Red Barchetta.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:24 pm

I do not have a mobile 'device' so i cannot do text messaging. On CK website i just checked and it is text only notification on reserve list opening.
This does give me the answer: without text ability, a person cannot get on the reserve list. I'm sure even some of those who do receive the text message do not get to the website fast enough to claim a spot on a reserve list.
In all my life i have never known of any item in this much demand.
kj

Tsar Bomba

Postby Tsar Bomba » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:20 am

CK uses a combination of email messages and a rather strange implementation of an alert notification via the "Remind" app (normally used for school class reminders and such). Either the app or an email will generally arrive when reserve lists go online. The lists themselves will fill at a rate commensurate with the sellouts on various large GEC dealer sites - that is to say, if the reserves aren't all-standby from the start, something like a TC Barlow will fill up almost immediately. Having a mobile device is almost mandatory to participate in the "lolly scramble" these days.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby gsmith7158 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:24 am

kootenay joe wrote:I do not have a mobile 'device' so i cannot do text messaging. On CK website i just checked and it is text only notification on reserve list opening.
This does give me the answer: without text ability, a person cannot get on the reserve list. I'm sure even some of those who do receive the text message do not get to the website fast enough to claim a spot on a reserve list.
In all my life i have never known of any item in this much demand.
kj

Roland at least the 82 will be available at multiple dealers so we'll have a better shot at it than we will on that polished stag 85.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:38 am

Now the 'other dealers' are also getting sold out soon after posting new GEC knives. Previously CK & KSF would sell out right away and the other dealers might still have a few examples left after 24-48 hours. Now all the GEC dealers are selling rapidly.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”