GEC 85 Bullet End Jack

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

GEC 85 Bullet End Jack

Postby jerryd6818 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:16 pm

In my opinion, the 85 Bullet End Jack with Rotten Banana handles have too much Rotten and not enough Banana.
85 Bullet End Jack Rotten Banana.jpg

I prefer the Rotten Banana Bone handles on the 66.
GEC 661210J UN-X-LD Serpentine Jack - Rotten Banana Bone - Open Mark Labeled.JPG

Just proves the old adage "You can't please everyone".
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: GEC 85 Bullet End Jack

Postby robbobus » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:22 pm

Little too ripe for me too. I wonder if they have more buffing before they leave the factory?

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby jerryd6818 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:22 pm

::shrug:: I suppose that's a possibility.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:32 am

For many of us it does not matter how ripe the banana is because they are unobtainable. By the time the email notification arrives in my inbox the newest GEC arrival being announced is gone. On 2 occasions i did get one in my cart but at PP was informed "item no longer available.
This is due to living in an area in which 'hi speed internet' is much slower than in more densely populated areas. The only way to get a new GEC or Northwoods knife is on the secondary market which means paying a higher price.
kj

313 Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby 313 Mike » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:29 pm

I like the coloring, in order for it to be truly " rotten banana" it should be pretty dark...........otherwise it is just " slightly over ripe banana".
I do not like that shield though at all. Seems like something Rough Rider would do. If their buisness model is to make authentic old fashioned knives in an old fashioned manner, I am not sure a banana shield fits into that.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby jerryd6818 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Different strokes. I like the shield. It's what drew me to buy the banana bone 35. To each his own.

Edit: I see your point about the darker handles fitting the name better but I still don't like them. But then, I don't like overly ripe bananas either. Ya just can't please everybody.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

313 Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby 313 Mike » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:39 pm

jerryd6818 wrote:
Edit: I see your point about the darker handles fitting the name better but I still don't like them. But then, I don't like overly ripe bananas either. Ya just can't please everybody.

Those dark over ripe bananas make the moistest most flavorful banana bread and muffins! Maybe they should have called it " banana bread bone" instead, they could have used a "steamin' loaf" shied... hot outa the oven! :lol: ::poke::
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby jerryd6818 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:44 pm

313 Mike wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:

Those dark over ripe bananas make the moistest most flavorful banana bread and muffins! Maybe they should have called it " banana bread bone" instead, they could have used a "steamin' loaf" shied... hot outa the oven! :lol: ::poke::

There ya go. You're pretty smart for a Jarhead.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby royal0014 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:54 pm

313 Mike wrote:I do not like that shield though at all. Seems like something Rough Rider would do.

I agree whole-heartedly . . . just looks cheesy to me.
But as Bro. Jerry said, different strokes .....
::nod::
Chris
The light in the window is a crack in the sky
A stairway to darkness in the blink of an eye

Tsar Bomba

Postby Tsar Bomba » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:59 pm

Someone's gotta like 'em.

At 5:53pm I received notification from C. Risner that the knife was in stock.

By 5:55pm I had my 1-per-household selection in my cart and was making my way through the payment process.

At 5:56pm, when I finished entering my information and submitted my purchase, my cart was updated to "empty" because the knife was no longer available.

Less than 3 minutes from notification to sell-out.

::shrug::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby gsmith7158 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:10 pm

None of those Tidioutes really appeal to me. I sure would like to snag one of those polished stag Northfields though. ::woot::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

MadTrapper

Postby MadTrapper » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:07 am

I don't like spear blades and I thought that a knife designated as a "Jack" had two blades. Perhaps I'm confused?

As someone mentioned earlier, "to each his own."
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless

JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby JohnR » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:52 am

MadTrapper wrote:I don't like spear blades and I thought that a knife designated as a "Jack" had two blades. Perhaps I'm confused?

As someone mentioned earlier, "to each his own."

I landed one of the rotten banana bones and that will be my only one from this run, I agree with you, this knife should have 2 blades, it would be a better looking and feeling knife.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:31 pm

If a single blade knife is over 3 1/2" closed it is called a "Jack", under 3 1/2" a "Pen" knife. But this definition is not rigidly adhered to.
The experience described above by t.b. of all GEC's being sold out within minutes of becoming available is more common now than the experience of successfully buying one.
Anytime in life something gets this extreme, it crashes before too long. I don't know what event might trigger the 'crash' here but the current state of 'manic buying' is not a good sign for the future of GEC. Slow & Steady wins the race, every time.
kj

MadTrapper

Postby MadTrapper » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:45 am

I do concur kootenay joe with your thoughts regarding the "manic buying" of GEC knives. As it always does, time will tell and I have no doubt that it will be an interesting saga.

I got out of the GEC buying rat race a long time ago. Just not worth the hassle and aggravation to me. I still snag one from time to time when I find one available but I don't sit at the keyboard with a stopwatch when they first come up for sale.

Frankly, with the exception of the AAPK 14 and last year's AAPK Churchill,there haven't been that many of late that have interested me. I get a lot more enjoyment from certain models of Case knives and without the aggravation. I very much appreciate the fact that AAPK has been choosing GEC as the forum knife for us members.

Thanks also kootenay joe for the definition of a "Jack." I was not aware of that.
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”