Great Eastern Cutlery Brand

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Great Eastern Cutlery Brand

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I think the "carbon steel is superior" thinking is primarily found in the traditional slipjoint collectors. Modern tactical collectors go for the latest & greatest "super steels" - M390, ZDP-189, S110V, etc. I suspect it is just two different philosophies: 1) a steel that is easy to sharpen, so you sharpen it often and keep it razor sharp; or 2) a steel that holds an edge for a really long time so that you don't have to sharpen it often to keep it razor sharp.

I think the majority of top-tier traditional slipjoint knives are made for collectors, not users. They want a "traditional" to be, well, traditional! :lol:
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "They want a "traditional" to be, well, traditional!"
Me too. But since stainless steel has been used for pocket knife blades for almost 100 years now, i consider it traditional.
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

kootenay joe wrote:Quote: "They want a "traditional" to be, well, traditional!"
Me too. But since stainless steel has been used for pocket knife blades for almost 100 years now, i consider it traditional.
kj
I agree with you! I don't really understand the people that make a big deal out of how sharp you can get Carbon steel compared to a decent heat-treated stainless like 440C. I've never had any trouble getting stainless plenty sharp enough for anything I need to do (which isn't much!), and stainless is a heck of a lot easier to live with.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
whit107

Post by whit107 »

0807B695-7900-4288-8293-FD95023DE2A5.jpeg
Life is far too short to carry a bad knife.
whit107

Post by whit107 »

Carry this 42 every day for several years
Life is far too short to carry a bad knife.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

As someone who has carried and used knives in hot sweaty Texas for over 60 years (frequently out-of-doors working on a ranch) I'm finding this esoteric discussion on the merits of stainless versus carbon steel entertaining and amusing.

During the summer months (In Texas that's at least May through September) I frequently come to the house in the evening with clothes soaked through with sweat, and undress on the back porch - luckily there's no neighbors within over a mile in that direction. ::facepalm:: Everything I own is wet with sweat. When my wallet dries it has salt powder on it. My knife preference is good quality, properly tempered carbon steel. In my experience a knife that is carried and used regularly and given even modest care will rarely if ever rust.

Not trying to be contrary or talk anyone out of anything - buy and carry what you like and can afford. Or can talk yourself into. :lol: ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ken i know what it is like to come in and clothes are dripping wet and hard to peel off, and i live way North of Texas. So i know your knife gets soaked even if in a belt sheath. Do you apply a light coat of oil every 2-3 days ? (to the knife that is) And wipe with a dry cloth when you come in for the day ?
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

kootenay joe wrote:Ken i know what it is like to come in and clothes are dripping wet and hard to peel off, and i live way North of Texas. So i know your knife gets soaked even if in a belt sheath. Do you apply a light coat of oil every 2-3 days ? (to the knife that is) And wipe with a dry cloth when you come in for the day ?
kj
Nothing that intense. When I think about it, which is probably every couple of weeks, I typically just wipe them down with a cloth saturated with Tuf-Glide. The exception is, if they're really dirty (sand, dirt, grease, blood or ?) I'll flush them out, re-apply Tuf-Glide, and very lightly oil the joints. Otherwise they just dry out overnight with whatever is on them.

I avoid excessive oil and grease - in my experience "dirt" adheres to it, which in turn holds moisture. One reason I like Tuf-Glide is that it dries and leaves its protective coating on and adhering to the metal, so there's nothing there to hold dirt on the metal or in the joints. You can't see the Tuf-Glide on the metal but the results tell you it's there. Once a month or so I gather up all my EDCs, clean as needed (pocket lint, dirt and so forth), touch up the blades as needed, lightly oil the joints and then wipe everything down with the Tuf-Glide cloth.

Probably more than you wanted to know, and off topic for this thread. It amounts to what I consider responsible routine maintenance of frequently used tools. I'd do the same whether carbon or stainless blades.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think it is on topic. I have Tuf Glide cloths stored in the plastic bag. They have been used ++. Do they just keep on working ? or do you replace them every few years ?
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

kootenay joe wrote:I think it is on topic. I have Tuf Glide cloths stored in the plastic bag. They have been used ++. Do they just keep on working ? or do you replace them every few years ?
kj
Until or unless the cloths become worn out you can continue using them. I have never worn one out yet. Effectiveness can be replenished simply by pouring some of the liquid Tuf-Glide into the cloth and re-sealing the cloth in the bag. I buy Tuf-Glide and pour it into a spray bottle, then just spray it onto the cloth, fold the cloth and re-seal it in its bag. You can buy Tuf-Glide in a spray bottle - I bought one several years ago and have been refilling it. A bottle lasts a long time. I use it on anything and everything metal - firearms, fishing tackle, tools and so on, to preserve them and prevent rust from fingerprints, condensation and other moisture.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Ken. I appreciate you sharing your method of maintaining tools that have carbon steel blades or parts.
Now Tuf-Glide is in for a boost in sales !
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”