Only One Knife

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
m0nk

Re: Only One Knife

Post by m0nk »

Tsar Bomba wrote:I'm still trying to wrap my head around this concept of "one 1-blade folding knife for everything, forever." :shock: :lol:

The utilitarian side of me says I'd want a rugged clip or drop point lockback (or other locking mechanism) with some heft to it. None of my GECs fit the bill, plus I've got plenty of Buck 110s on hand.

But for the purposes of this thread, picking through and choosing from the GECs that fit the criteria, I suppose it would my favorite 43, a knife I've been carrying something close to half the time over the last few months.
Tony, how do your carry your 43? Belt sheath? Pocket slip? Back pocket? Of course a 43 lends itself well to belt carry, but I've carried mine in a slip in my front pocket and I was surprised that it doesn't feel much bigger than my medium size 78's and such. I'd just like to hear advice from someone who carries his 43 more frequently since mine is an occasional carry only.

I could easily change my long rambling answer to KJ's original question to say simply, "43 Oregon" and let that be that. I agree with KJ that a wharnie is certainly not the most practical of all general purpose blades, it's just that I love my Fremont Jack to the point that if logic went out the window I'd have to grab the FJ. But if I stop and think some more, that 43 is looking better and better.

Lee
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

I have a question. Barring a survival situation and for the most part even then, why a locking blade? I have nothing against lock blade knives, but it seems to me, if a knife's being used for it's intended purpose, there really wouldn't be any need for it.

Just a thought,

WB
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Lee, I generally carry the 43 in a KSF pocket slip which fits the knife perfectly. Even with the additional bulk of the leather slip, it pockets a lot better than most large trappers. It would work in a Buck 112 style sheath, too, but it's fairly slender so it might rattle around in the sheath a bit instead of sitting snug like the 112 does.

I am a fan of the Wharncliffe blade but in the context of "one blade to rule them all" I would have to pick another more utilitarian profile with a belly.
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Tsar Bomba wrote:Lee, I generally carry the 43 in a KSF pocket slip which fits the knife perfectly. Even with the additional bulk of the leather slip, it pockets a lot better than most large trappers.
Tony, thanks for the info. I sometimes use a KSF Mainstream pocket slip which I like because it has a flat bottom, which means you can get a bigger knife into it compared to a slip of the same external size made of two separate pieces of leather are sewed together. The seam equals unusable interior space. I didn't understand the advantage of the folded bottom construction until I got a Mainstream slip. However, my daily go-to is a KSF freebie buffalo slip that I sewed a Nano clip to the top edge. When hooked to the bottom of the pocket opening, the clip makes the whole thing ride vertically against the outside of the pocket. It's a very nice carry method and makes it accessible even when seated by just pulling on the clip then grabbing the top of the slip.

Anyway, I had originally picked the 71 out of my GEC branded singles, because its smaller size might make it more portable in more situations with different attire. However, if one has a carry method that mitigates the large size of the knife, then it opens up the possibilities of picking a larger single like a 43. Food for thought. That 43 is looking better and better for my "forever single GEC." Which brings up a possible loophole in the original question: KJ said only one GEC knife, which means I'm free to carry another manufacturer's knife also! So I'll have my 43 as my one GEC single, and also carry my new Case Medium Jack for when I need smaller blades. Perfect combination!

Lee
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

:lol: That's an excellent way to look at it.

I'll be glad to pair my 43 with any number of my other knives. The Case humpback stockman makes a fine watch pocket complement to the 43 IMO.
Attachments
41386058465_d16757cd1d_k.jpg
J1890

Post by J1890 »

::ds:: I love these types of threads.
I am inclined to go with this 43. I’ve had it for a few days and have been using it for everything I do. Not only does it look good, but I’m sure it would perform every task given to it.
My only draw back would be how thin it becomes toward the tip. I would fear it might break. I of course would not be using it as a pry bar ::dang:: . So with that fear( which is probably my own silliness) I’d have to agree with the single blade 23. As i believe it has a thicker blade. And now that I’m thinking about that knife, maybe I need to get one?
This brings up an interesting (for me) thought about a possible thread challenge ::hmm:: . Carry and use just one knife for a given time frame. See if that would really be the one knife. But I don’t want that thought to highjack this cool thread.
C4DE313A-DF42-4AC2-AAB9-C632DFFF8674.jpeg
"As for me and my house, we serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I'm starting to suspect GEC might have knocked it out of the park with the 43... ::hmm:: ::super_happy::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Yes the #43 seems to have the most votes if only allowed one single blade GEC forever. Obviously it has to be a bit of a compromise when choosing a blade that will mange to do a good job in all sorts of situations. And here it looks like GEC got everything right in the design of the #43.
When i get back to my knives in a few days i will post a picture of my #43 beside my #23 liner lock. The #23 is 4 1/2" closed and the #43 is slightly smaller at 4 1/4". Be interesting to see if blade on #23 is any longer than on the #43. And then compare them for how slender or bulky and weigh them. Lighter weight & slender i consider better.
Why liner lock on the #23 ? Certainly not necessary but reasonable to have as likely at some point in the next number of years i will mess up and knock a blade off the open position. If there was any play in this knife it would have turned me off of wanting to use it. But it is totally solid when open which based on other threads is a bit unusual, as many of the liner locks have slight blade play.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

My outstanding experience with the 43 has me interested in some of the earlier GEC trappers, especially some of the drop-point varieties. I'm ambivalent towards most lockback trappers but a liner lock 23 does sound like something I could quickly grow fond of. I'm still so gunshy from some of the GEC secondary market wackiness, however, that I find myself only pulling the trigger on secondhand GECs when I'm REALLY desperate to have one.

And to address questions re: the "need" for a single knife in first-world society to have a lock... I don't think I would necessarily *need* a lock in an idealized single-blade single-knife for life situation, but I'd probably feel a little better about having one. That said, my daily use 43 stays open and at attention very well and I suspect the only way I'd end up risking an accidental closing is if I were doing something un-knifelike. Thing is, sometimes your one-knife one-blade world demands you do something un-knifelike with your knife. That's the downside of making it a GEC - you'll cringe through the whole experience. :lol:

This thread makes me appreciate living in a world where I can have as many knies, and as many blades, as I care to. :mrgreen: ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Don't be shy of picking up a "pre owned" GEC. Many have not been used and GEC has made many great knives over the last 11 years. Only a select few runs get the sky high prices on the secondary market. Most sell for about the same as original price.
kj
J1890

Post by J1890 »

Tsar, I agree. GEC knocked it out of the park with the 43. I wish I had gotten one of those nice camel bones like you have. That is sweet!
I still might try for one of the jigged green bone.
I found my 43 on the secondary market and might have paid very close to what they went for on the release.

Kootenay,
I would be very interested in the 43 23 side by side comparison.

Did I mention that I love this kind of thread ::tu::
"As for me and my house, we serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I will post back in about 3 days with pictures comparing the #43 & #23.
Now i am going to start a thread for ANY GEC knife, but this one is not over so post your pick for the one single blade GEC you could live with for the rest of your life.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Size Comparison #43 & #23; 431118 & 235109ECL (End Caps, Liner Lock)
43 23
length 4 1/4" 4 1/2"
Blade length 87mm 96mm
weight 90g 150g

Although only 1/4" difference in closed length and about 3/8" difference in blade length, there is a big difference in mass. The 23 is 65% heavier than the 43 ! Both blades have the same thickness at spine near tang and both taper equally to the tip; i.e. the #43 is not more thinned out at the tip than is this #23. I assume the extra weight comes from the steel liner lock and the bone being heavier than cocobolo wood.
kj
Attachments
IMGP4757.JPG
IMGP4756.JPG
IMGP4758.JPG

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”