Only One Knife

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
m0nk

Re: Only One Knife

Postby m0nk » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:36 am

KJ, this question makes me sweat but I'll play. But wait, are we talking GEC's that I actually own, or is the aperture open to GECs that I've drooled over in pictures only? And does it have to be a GEC-branded knife, or can GEC-made private label knives be in the running? First, the GEC branded singles that I own, which aren't that many:

43 Oregon in Frontier Bone
78 SMKW SFO single in "Pennsylvania" peach seed jigged bone
71 Bullnose in red linen micarta

So for GEC branded singles I own, the 71 Bullnose is the reluctant winner because it's in a medium-large size that looks classy in red micarta, yet can totally work like a rented mule.

And here are the GEC-made private labels that I own:
(21) Smith & Sons Mudbug in maroon linen micarta
(79) NW Fremont Jack in red linen micarta

If my house were on fire and I could take one knife and one knife only, I'd grab my Fremont Jack and run. Someday, somebody will face the unenviable task of prying my Fremont Jack out of my cold dead hand.

Yet, if I could cross my arms and blink and get the knife I want but don't have...the 77 BF SFO PPP stag clip single (I think) 2014. That would do the job nicely because of it's medium size, dream clip blade, and tough yet nice-enough-to-present-to-the-President stag.

How's that for an equivocal answer?

Lee

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:31 am

m0nk, you thought about it which is what i was hoping people would do.
My intention was: any knife made by GEC regardless of how it is branded or whether or not you own it.
I would not choose a Warncliffe blade for my one & only knife.
kj

upnorth
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby upnorth » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:05 pm

ONE KNIFE???

Impossible!!

Well . . . . .maybe. . . . .

I am up for the challenge of surviving in the city with this one.
But if we are going post-apocalyptic, then it would have to be a #23 sized knife at least!!
Attachments
Old Boiley Aug 2015 A.jpg
23lrl antique yellow.JPG
Utopia!! A chicken in every pot!! And a Barlow in every pocket!!!

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009

m0nk

Postby m0nk » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:17 am

upnorth wrote:ONE KNIFE???

Impossible!!

Well . . . . .maybe. . . . .

I am up for the challenge of surviving in the city with this one.
But if we are going post-apocalyptic, then it would have to be a #23 sized knife at least!!

Charlie, I presume? If that's you, why am I not surprised at your choice of TC barlow? I know Charlie C. SFOs are sold at several distributors, but getting ahold of one is like trying to grab a gnat out of a swarm, a swing and a miss. The #15 is a great size, not too big and not too small. Just today I was appreciating how nice my Beer Scout feels in my pocket.

Lee

robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby robbobus » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:34 am

Charlies Barlow looks like the famous Ol'Boily of 2012.

whitebuffalo58
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby whitebuffalo58 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:57 am

Well I know there aren't many fans of the pattern 'round here, but I'd certainly have no problem calling this my only knife. A Northfield #12 Powderhorn in burled Cocobolo. 1 of only 7 made, or I'd probably be carrying it now. ::nod::

SANY0005.JPG

WB

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby philco » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:08 am

Beautiful handles on that one Rob. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Our knives are more than metal and bone;
They're about who we are and the people we've known.

whitebuffalo58
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby whitebuffalo58 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:58 pm

Thanks Phil! I've worked with quite a bit of Cocobolo over the years, first burl I've seen though.

I got it from our ol' buddy Trevor.(imband) I haven't heard from him in a long time, hope he's doin' alright!

WB

wlf
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby wlf » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:47 pm

Mumbleypeg wrote:The only single blade GEC I have, so at present anyway this is it. :lol: But it's a dandy! ::tu::

Ken

That sure is a good looking little guy on that tube. :D
Attachments
LICK CREEK BOY KNIFE 6 21.jpg
I buy roosters and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Mumbleypeg » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:54 pm

wlf wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:The only single blade GEC I have, so at present anyway this is it. :lol: But it's a dandy! ::tu::

Ken

That sure is a good looking little guy on that tube. :D

Yes indeed - and he's a dandy too! ::tu:: :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"Man has nothing that the animals have not at least a vestige of, the animals have nothing that the man does not in some degree share."
- Ernest Thompson Seton
https://www.akti.org/

upnorth
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby upnorth » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:55 pm

This is an enjoyable thread! Nice going Roland!!
It is interesting to imagine using each knife posted as the "one and only"!! 8)

Yes that's Old Boiley - very first TC out of the box, and subject of much experimentation and careful use. The joints are often oiled, and it holds an edge FOREVER for some reason. I think the heat-treat hit the sweet spot! :)

Please participate in this thread!! ::tu::

1949 - 2009

wlf
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby wlf » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:02 pm

upnorth wrote:The joints are often oiled, and it holds an edge FOREVER for some reason. I think the heat-treat hit the sweet spot! :) ::tu::

Amazing, considering you’re still cutting the mustard!!!

I’ve never considered carrying a one blade knife. I used to keep one blade for just opening cans before I retired.
I buy roosters and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle

upnorth
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby upnorth » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:42 pm

wlf wrote:
upnorth wrote:The joints are often oiled, and it holds an edge FOREVER for some reason. I think the heat-treat hit the sweet spot! :) ::tu::

Amazing, considering you’re still cutting the mustard!!!

I’ve never considered carrying a one blade knife. I used to keep one blade for just opening cans before I retired.

OMG!!! :o

1949 - 2009

Tsar Bomba

Postby Tsar Bomba » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:44 am

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this concept of "one 1-blade folding knife for everything, forever." :shock: :lol:

The utilitarian side of me says I'd want a rugged clip or drop point lockback (or other locking mechanism) with some heft to it. None of my GECs fit the bill, plus I've got plenty of Buck 110s on hand.

But for the purposes of this thread, picking through and choosing from the GECs that fit the criteria, I suppose it would my favorite 43, a knife I've been carrying something close to half the time over the last few months.
Attachments
42718704304_ff46037bf5_k.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:27 pm

Nice knife Tony. Although not locking, it gives plenty of blade for one lifetime. And i agree that clip and a drop point are the 2 best profiles for a 'do-it-all', followed by a spear point. The Wharncliffers might find they have had enough of being limited by profile before they get even close to 'The End'.
I started this thread when i received a #23 with drop point blade and a liner lock and then found that the blade is totally solid when locked. I immediately thought 'this is a perfect life long user' but then realized: only among single blade knives. I wanted to show this #23 and explain why it seems just right to me. But my thinking is sometimes too narrow so i wanted to see what GEC others would pick as their life long companion
I will start a complimentary thread shortly asking the same question but for ANY GEC knife. I already know what my choice is and i think it is THE BEST GEC EVER. Clue: has a C.C. connection.
But this thread is not over. Lots of you have not posted yet but you have probably thought about which of your single blade GEC's would give you the best life long service, so take a picture, does not have to be perfect, and post here. If enough people post there might be enough votes for a pattern to be declared "The Experts' Choice".
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”