GEC's #14s

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Drukai

Re: GEC's #14s

Post by Drukai »

Will Smokey Mountain Knife works be offering pre orders on the Cripple Creeks? I hope I can get one in Stag.
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

I totally missed out on the CK #14 red sawcut bone reservation "release" today. :cry: Seems to me that CK SFOs have all the popularity of Northwoods, the difference is that Mike takes steps to reduce the frenzy. But if he had the cart server bandwidth and did uncontrolled releases like KSF, I'm sure that all the same frenzy would be there. And these are on GEC branded knives! I see this as a testament to the deep enduring quality that is the driving force behind GEC sales. There's just no way that BladeForum hype or hipster EDC pocket dumps on instagram has somehow manufactured this popularity.

And I have to disagree with Roland about the NW designs. Look, the Bear Lake is on a custom KSF-only frame that doesn't even have a GEC pattern number. It's blade is totally unique compared to other brands and manufacturers, and the covers certainly seem exotic to me. C'mon, kudu and mammoth aren't exotic enough? I didn't even know what a kudu is, I had to google it to see a picture of one. Apparently their bones are more rare than Sambar stag, which we can't even import anymore, because the kudu BLs were what, $30 more than the stag BLs? You'd have to go find a custom maker with your own plan to find a more unique design with a more exotic handle cover. Not sure what more you'd want from a factory-made brand.

So what's the word on the #14 AAPK club SFO? I haven't been paying attention this week; hoping I didn't miss that one too.

Lee
JET79

Post by JET79 »

m0nk wrote:I totally missed out on the CK #14 red sawcut bone reservation "release" today. :cry: Seems to me that CK SFOs have all the popularity of Northwoods, the difference is that Mike takes steps to reduce the frenzy. But if he had the cart server bandwidth and did uncontrolled releases like KSF, I'm sure that all the same frenzy would be there. And these are on GEC branded knives! I see this as a testament to the deep enduring quality that is the driving force behind GEC sales. There's just no way that BladeForum hype or hipster EDC pocket dumps on instagram has somehow manufactured this popularity.

And I have to disagree with Roland about the NW designs. Look, the Bear Lake is on a custom KSF-only frame that doesn't even have a GEC pattern number. It's blade is totally unique compared to other brands and manufacturers, and the covers certainly seem exotic to me. C'mon, kudu and mammoth aren't exotic enough? I didn't even know what a kudu is, I had to google it to see a picture of one. Apparently their bones are more rare than Sambar stag, which we can't even import anymore, because the kudu BLs were what, $30 more than the stag BLs? You'd have to go find a custom maker with your own plan to find a more unique design with a more exotic handle cover. Not sure what more you'd want from a factory-made brand.

So what's the word on the #14 AAPK club SFO? I haven't been paying attention this week; hoping I didn't miss that one too.

Lee

hey Lee, sorry you missed the CK red saw cut. I think your spot on about the Northwoods. That was cracking me up by the way, I didn't know what a kudu was either. Next NW run, Maybe dragon bone?
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

No Wildabeast and Unicorn..I enjoi the Northwoods knives and they look great, shying away from the Sheepsfoot, Wharncliffe, Bohncliffe profile would be +1 x a lot in my book some spears, speys, clips and some damn northWOOD handle covers DIW, Cocobolo etc. Two blade run would be nice..
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Here are 2 more posters to show what knives will look like:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Lyle,
I think yours is a real looker!
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

m0nk wrote:I totally missed out on the CK #14 red sawcut bone reservation "release" today. :cry: Seems to me that CK SFOs have all the popularity of Northwoods, the difference is that Mike takes steps to reduce the frenzy. But if he had the cart server bandwidth and did uncontrolled releases like KSF, I'm sure that all the same frenzy would be there. And these are on GEC branded knives! I see this as a testament to the deep enduring quality that is the driving force behind GEC sales. There's just no way that BladeForum hype or hipster EDC pocket dumps on instagram has somehow manufactured this popularity.
"Gone in no more than 39 minutes..." -- probably much less. :lol: I don't know the nuances of Lyle/Charlie with a "Lick Creek Barlow" run but the numbers have to be looow. I've given up on getting a #14 TC. ::facepalm::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
JET79

Post by JET79 »

Really diggin the smooth white bone. ::tu::
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Ok, I'm going with one other one. The Kifer ebony #14 single clip with the Kifer shield, like this shield on Gary's #78 from last year's SFO run.
IMG_0477.jpg
Love all Jacks
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am not saying BF is responsible for GEC's great success. BF definitely helped in the early days of 2006 and 2007. And Charlie C. began by posting threads about the Barlow at least a year before the GEC Barlows showed up. By then BF readers were well primed to get a new GEC Barlow which was a Charlie C. design. Nothing wrong with any of this. I find the history of knives as interesting as the knives themselves.
Certainly none of this GEC Mania would still be here now if they did not make an outstanding product and reliably so, almost never a return.
As for kudu bone, it is a new one to us here but the ones i saw are not as attractive as the giraffe bone which rivals mammoth and can resemble it too.
This last Northwoods run (Bear Lake with caps) only had 4 mammoth. Is this substance getting harder to locate a good source due to confusion with elephant ivory ban ?
The Northwoods brand has a solid following and could create very special folding knives, the "Jos. Rodgers of our times". Or they could make nice tweaks to each new GEC release. They would make money either way but as a knife lover i would rather see Northwoods strive for the top.
kj
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

kootenay joe wrote: As for kudu bone, it is a new one to us here but the ones i saw are not as attractive as the giraffe bone which rivals mammoth and can resemble it too.
This last Northwoods run (Bear Lake with caps) only had 4 mammoth. Is this substance getting harder to locate a good source due to confusion with elephant ivory ban ?
KJ, I completely agree about the giraffe bone. I was hoping the kudu would show as much variation and beauty as a typical giraffe run, but none did. At least not that I could see in the 33 seconds I had to browse them. If I had spotted one with the appeal as most of the giraffe bone covers I've seen lately, I might have had to make that tough confession to the Mrs. that night. Good thing for me none of these $200 knives appealed to me. Nevertheless I'm sure the scalpers will do just fine with their investments on the Bay, so no sleep lost for those guys. Regarding the mammoth, I was under the impression that perhaps the sole benefit of the melting polar ice caps was the revealing of more thawing mammoth carcasses in the tundra. But the situation here is that GEC only made a handful of mammoth pieces in order to meet the order, so we should not see this as a sure indication of the availability (or lack thereof) of mammoth ivory. I'm still optimistic about my chances to score a little piece of the Ice Age in a future release.

Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: " GEC only made a handful of mammoth pieces in order to meet the order"
Are you saying Northwoods only ordered 4 Bear Lake with mammoth ? Seems unlikely as Northwoods knows they will sell out even if 100 mammoth were produced.
The melting in the Arctic is exposing more mammoth tusks but it does not necessarily mean more mammoth knife handles. Companies in the knife handle business might choose to stay away from all ivories.
kj
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

I found another picture for us to look at. It is the Frank's Classic Knives #14 Tidioute Cutlery - Boys Knife. The handles are Oily Creek Bone and it has their Old Man shield. I really like the way it looks and think the shield is really cool too. Here is the picture:
image.jpeg
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

boykinlp wrote:I found another picture for us to look at. It is the Frank's Classic Knives #14 Tidioute Cutlery - Boys Knife. The handles are Oily Creek Bone and it has their Old Man shield. I really like the way it looks and think the shield is really cool too. Here is the picture:

image.jpeg
Larry, you just made my day! ::ds:: That's the only #14 I have on reserve and when I asked Frank for a mock up drawing he didn't have it yet. I was hoping this version would look great and I am not disappointed.

Thanks for posting this!!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Rick,
He just sent it to me. It is going to be a special knife. Frank is a super guy.

I wish we could get the pictures like this for all the knives. Sure would make choosing a bunch easier.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

It’s official, I now have the Kifer, GunstockJack, DLT and Frank’s Classics #14s on order!!
Love all Jacks
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

singin46 wrote:It’s official, I now have the Kifer, GunstockJack, DLT and Frank’s Classics #14s on order!!
You're on a roll, Perry! Good choices too.
Rick T.

JB in SC

Post by JB in SC »

singin46 wrote:It’s official, I now have the Kifer, GunstockJack, DLT and Frank’s Classics #14s on order!!
Perry I reserved the Kifer (thanks to you) and GunstockJack, and still waiting to hear about Lyle's. I'm not that familiar with the oily creek bone, but may be swayed :)
~ Jerry
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

JB in SC wrote:
Perry I reserved the Kifer (thanks to you) and GunstockJack, and still waiting to hear about Lyle's. I'm not that familiar with the oily creek bone, but may be swayed :)
Good to see you here, Jerry! Welcome!
Rick T.

JB in SC

Post by JB in SC »

Railsplitter wrote:Good to see you here, Jerry! Welcome!
Thanks Rick!
~ Jerry
JB in SC

Post by JB in SC »

I talked myself into the oily creek bone...you guys are a terrible influence :mrgreen:
~ Jerry
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Y E S!!!!!!!! LOL ::ds::
Love all Jacks
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

FarSide wrote:4. Cripple Creek - Stag w/ Buffalo Shield (assuming they will have shield w/ stag)
I heard from Frank, of Frank's Classic Knives, that the Cripple Creek Stag knife will definitely have the Buffalo Shield. Sounds like a winner!
Larry

Each one, teach one.
JET79

Post by JET79 »

Looks like the 14’s are in production!
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

JET79 wrote:Looks like the 14’s are in production!
Wouldn't you figure that some would maybe start shipping next week?
Larry

Each one, teach one.
JET79

Post by JET79 »

boykinlp wrote:
JET79 wrote:Looks like the 14’s are in production!
Wouldn't you figure that some would maybe start shipping next week?
I don’t know but that would be nice! Looks like what I would assume is the red saw cut bone for collector knives is pretty far into it amongst some others. Gonna be a lot of really cool knives from this run.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”