GEC Liner Locks

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

GEC Liner Locks

Post by kootenay joe »

GEC made a #23 with a liner lock in 2009.
What other patterns has GEC made with a liner lock ?
I cannot find a thread here dedicated to GEC knives with liner lock. Are they not popular ? or is it that GEC has made very few liner lock knives ?
If you have a liner lock GEC please post a picture .
kj
kootenay joe

Re: GEC Liner Locks

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a picture taken from the web of 235109 ECL (end caps, locking).
kj
Attachments
CFF_5757.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here is my only one with a linerlock. As a sidenote, I think the natural stag on this example is as nice as most 'burnt' stag.
Northfield 23 001.jpg
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

This No.15 Electrician's knife was made with a liner lock I believe in 2013.
15Elec2.JPG
15Elec1.jpg
-Tim
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I have a rather nice 73 LL in stag from 2011 if memory serves and used to have an 852116eo in African Blackwood. The 55 was made with a liner lock as well.
Screenshot_2018-06-26-14-42-35.png
Screenshot_2018-06-26-14-38-33-1.png
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Somehow i missed all these liner locks. I am seeing them now for the first time.
The 2 blade #15 with saw teeth i would not have known was a GEC. It must be quite rare.
Calvin what is the ID number for your knife ?
And LL with patterns 55 & 85 as well as #73
Five patterns so far have been released as a liner lock and noted here. Are there any others ?
The GEC liner lock knives rarely get posted or discussed here at AAPK. This leads me to think they are not popular most people preferring a non locking blade.
What is your opinion of GEC liner lock knives ?
kj
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

Speaking primarily of the 73 pattern linerlocks, I like the heck out of then, but skipped over them early on in my GEC collecting phase. Luckily once I dipped a toe in the LL waters there were a few still around to be had/purchased. One of GECs best IMO is a liner lock, end capped 73. They made some in ebony and some in stag. Probably others, but none come immediately to mind.

I like the same knife (liner lock) on the 23 pattern, but I much prefer the smaller size of the 73.

Speaking of the LL 15s with the saw blade, I thought they were ugly and therefore they didn't appeal to me at all. Wow are they hard to find now. ::uc::
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

kootenay joe wrote: The GEC liner lock knives rarely get posted or discussed here at AAPK. This leads me to think they are not popular most people preferring a non locking blade.
kj
While I can appreciate the utility of the liner lock, I really don't like the way they look on the GEC's. The tab is way too prominent visually, and it throws off the whole aesthetics for me. I much prefer the smooth uninterrupted lines you get without the lock. Just my opinion.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I agree Mike. You have exactly expressed my opinion.
willc

Post by willc »

I only have one GEC with a liner lock, a 73 from 2008.
It has very slight up and down play which is no big deal to me.

I’m kinda ambivalent as to whether I buy a slip joint with a liner lock, if I like the pattern I’ll get it.

From what I have heard most of the GEC’s have that little bit of up and down play, does anyone know if the newer F&F 35’s have the same issue?

Like I said it doesn’t bother me but I’m curious if GEC changed anything machining wise.
7274DEEC-E48B-48B0-B87B-D628FA69A0F6.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Very nice Stag 73 pattern from 2008 !
If the Farm & Field is a liner lock that makes a total of 6 different patterns with a liner lock option.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”