Is this a genuine GEC ?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Brumbydownunder

Is this a genuine GEC ?

Post by Brumbydownunder »

Folks just spotted this on Ebay Australia and immediately had an uneasy feeling about it.

Seller is one of those shambolic cheep stuff stores with over 90,000 sales

Here's what made me uneasy .... Seller refers to it as "TIDOUTE MISSOURI TRAPPER" in the head line - no mention of GEC Later in the description he has a copy and paste from the GEC web site about TIDOUTE...
Just one very fuzzy photo
Says "More than 10 available"

Here in Australia it is Very Very rare to see one GEC knife for sale - anywhere - even to reputable knife dealers never have very many.
Same seller also has a "TIDOUTE CATTLE BARON " and a "PEMERTON FOLDING POCKET KNIFE" All stating more than 10 available.

In the blurb on the "Cattle Baron" he has the number 531410 which should mean its a #53 made in 2010 ????

Opinions please ... should I be contacting GEC?
s-l500 (1).jpg
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TIDIOUTE-MI ... SwHtJaimga

Derek
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
XX Case XX

Re: Is this a genuine GEC ?

Post by XX Case XX »

The first thing I would do is ask for actual photographs. Clear, close-up pictures. If he gives you any c*ap, that would raise a million red flags.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
big monk

Post by big monk »

Hey Derek -- sounds fishy to me ::paranoid::

There were """only 34""" non-serialized pcs. made of the GEC 428212,Ebony scales ( 35 with serial numbers )

and on the #531410 ( only 23pcs. n/s & 25 serialized ) #531310 ( only 19 n/s & 25 serialized )

back in them days,all knives were bought , almost before they left the factory !!!! seems to me this is someone that has sent the knives to "CHINA" for some fine copies ??? reproductions ??? fakes??, whatever you want to call em' ::shrug::

Hey Derek, I sent an e-mail to Chris @ GEC with a link to the fakes and asked her to let me know what the scoop is ??? If you want to contact them,she is the best one to talk to ________good luck my friend, Monk

http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/about/contacts/
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

Thanks Mike & James...

The more I thought about it the more it didn't pass the "sniff test" (smelt fishy)

I have messaged the seller expressing interest in two of the knives and requesting some more Photos as Mike suggested ... it will be interesting if I get a response of any sort.

Derek
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

For Sure these are knock offs, likely from China. Soon they will show up in North America so be careful when GEC hunting on ebay.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”