Where can I pre-order a #46 Whaler?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
LSS152

Where can I pre-order a #46 Whaler?

Post by LSS152 »

I am pretty new to GEC, I have a #43 on the way and it will be my first GEC knife. Does anyone know where I can pre-order the #46 Whaler in Bone Stag? Thanks for the help!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Where can I pre-order a #46 Whaler?

Post by gsmith7158 »

I'm sure that Collector knives has already closed reservations on the 46 Whaler. If anyone else takes reservations I don't know about them. You may just have to watch for the release date and hope you get lucky. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I can confirm CollectorKnives closed reservations for the Whaler a while (months) ago. I managed to secure a bone-handled Whaler, my only concern is the possible sticker shock when the knives hit the market. Judging by recent prices, I am thinking this one will go for $175 or more at dealers.

Hopefully I am overestimating the recent price trends here.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:I can confirm CollectorKnives closed reservations for the Whaler a while (months) ago. I managed to secure a bone-handled Whaler, my only concern is the possible sticker shock when the knives hit the market. Judging by recent prices, I am thinking this one will go for $175 or more at dealers.

Hopefully I am overestimating the recent price trends here.
Tony you came out big in the 77 lottery. What was the retail on those?
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
LSS152

Post by LSS152 »

Wow thanks for the info! I think I read that the projected release date is sometime in June. Does that sound right?

How do you find out when and how many the dealer have to sell do they notify you by email somehow?

Sorry for all the new guy questions.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

gsmith7158 wrote:Tony you came out big in the 77 lottery. What was the retail on those?
$132 for the camel bone, $139 for the ironwood.
LSS152 wrote:Wow thanks for the info! I think I read that the projected release date is sometime in June. Does that sound right?
How do you find out when and how many the dealer have to sell do they notify you by email somehow?
The reservations page still shows "Expected: June" but that hasn't been updated in a while. Could mean they're on-schedule, could mean Mike L. already moved on to bigger and better things. ::shrug::

The dealer will email when reserved knives are en route or otherwise confirmed, I believe the standby/"maybe' reservations get second pick after that. I don't expect many people to leave the Whaler on the shelf, however, regardless of price. Sometimes they mention the run total in the email (usually as an excuse for why some reservations can't be fulfilled, or alternately that they have extras for the maybe reservations) but normally you end up waiting for the production totals from GEC directly.

Don't be concerned about having questions. I'm sure there are others are wondering something similar but just don't or can't post about it.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

LSS152 wrote:Wow thanks for the info! I think I read that the projected release date is sometime in June. Does that sound right?

Sorry for all the new guy questions.
Usually if you buy from a particular dealer and are signed up for their email newsletter they will let you know. Places like Knives Ship Free and GPKnives, DLTRadiding, Knife Connection. The 46 Whaler is in production as we speak so it could be any day now.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Why do any of us want this pattern ?
Not pocket friendly, not a comfortable in hand grip, blades hard to open, dangerous closing snap.
I cannot think of anything i encounter for which this very 'deep' blade is good for.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Why do any of us want this pattern ?
Not pocket friendly, not a comfortable in hand grip, blades hard to open, dangerous closing snap.
I cannot think of anything i encounter for which this very 'deep' blade is good for.
kj
Just like an old elephant toe Roland, an oddity, fun to look at. I probably won't pursue one but if the timing were right I might pull the trigger.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:Why do any of us want this pattern ?
kj
Because it brings a big grin to my face every time I handle one.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Because it brings a big grin to my face every time I handle one."
Me too. But why ? I know it is not practical as an edc. All the other folding knives i buy are ones that i would like to carry and use. I do not actually carry & use most of them but the potential of being an edc is there.
So why does the Toenail pattern appeal to us ? Is it 'ART' ? meaning a sense of beauty that attracts us independent of it's usefulness or lack thereof.
kj
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

I think it is because nobody else makes this pattern which makes it a bit of a rarity right there, practical use probably not much, but awesome in hand.

Russell
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rusty, are your hands on the big side ?
My hands are towards the small size and i do not find a good in hand feel. Looks 'awesome' in hand, but feel ? Maybe it just takes big hands ?
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Roland I am glad they make some patterns like that so there are at least a couple of knives I am not tempted to buy.
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

kootenay joe wrote:Rusty, are your hands on the big side ?
My hands are towards the small size and i do not find a good in hand feel. Looks 'awesome' in hand, but feel ? Maybe it just takes big hands ?
kj
Yes I could catch and hold a soccer ball with one hand. I like the bigger knives though anyway.

Russell
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Yes I could catch and hold a soccer ball with one hand."
WOW ! Then this #46 Whaler is just the right size for you.
We smaller handed gents should rightfully step aside as supply is limited.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I wonder if I'm weird for regularly EDCing a Case 6250. ::paranoid::

I still haven't decided if this particular knife is going to be carried and used a whole lot. But I don't much mind a large, heavy knife if it does what it's intended to do.

Oh, and I do have big hands. :mrgreen:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I got big meat hooks too. I have always wanted to carry a sunfish sized knife of great quality. My S&M wildcat driller and Presidents horn sunfish are tempting. But kootenay joe is, of course, correct. The whaler serves little practical purpose. Another but, but the room full of knives is not about practicality. Dilemnas, coupled with moderate discretionary funds is going to equate with an oversize tube or two.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The answer to my question of why do most of us want a knife that is not particularly user friendly comes down to "because i am a knifer guy and it's a knife, so i want/need one (or more).
I was thinking if i could discourage someone from buying one of the new Whalers then the chance of me being able to score one improves (well ever so slightly).
Don't think it worked. Knifers here are dedicated to their hobby !
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote:I was thinking if i could discourage someone from buying one of the new Whalers then the chance of me being able to score one improves (well ever so slightly).
::rotflol::

Cheeky!
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Man, this is one heck of a knife.GEC nailed the shield on this monster.
Attachments
GEC-ILLUSTRATED-1.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Starting to wonder if I made a mistake reserving the Muscle Bone version. That Ironwood looks just as nice as my new #77 in the same material. This is the first real hint of what the muscle bone will look like, but no finished product just yet...
IMG_3716.jpg
IMG_3717.jpg
Well, at this early stage it is looking kind of promising. This is gonna be an epic run, I can feel it.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

WOW, I like it very much. What handle materials are going to be used?
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Desert Ironwood (finished knife pictured above) and Muscle Bone (looks like those are still in production and not yet finished).

Collector Knives said in their reservation form that "Muscle Bone is a raw cut bone undyed." I'm assuming it will still be polished and hafted, so I suspect we'll end up with a nice, earthy, rustic look and possibly unique "defects" (which I like).

I think the folks who reserved the ironwood knives are getting theirs first. I"m just hoping for no reservation-related snafus after all the hype this run has received.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Some dealers have a reservation system, but most(?) do not. I imagine on day of release there will be a 'scramble' at the GEC dealers sites.
Anyone know how to predict the day these will be For Sale ?
And regarding production numbers, is this only known when GEC posts their yearly numbers ?
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”