Bolster question

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
tallguy606

Bolster question

Post by tallguy606 »

Saw a video showing all the steps in making a GEC folder. They (maybe all mfgrs) rivet on the bolsters to the brass liners. My question is - if the rivet goes in the center of the bolster, what happens when the pivot pin hole is drilled in the center of the bolster? Does it replace the rivet somehow? I never see a loose bolster, so I guess this method works. (I always thought they were soldered on) But can't figure out how it does.
XX Case XX

Re: Bolster question

Post by XX Case XX »

Can you post a link to that video? I'd like to see that.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Most times they don't line up exactly, and even if they do the bolster pin is usually larger so it still holds.

Eric
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

Look on YouTube - Great Eastern Cutlery Factory Tour - Part 1 (and 2 and 3).
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

A lot of knives have the bolsters soldered on but riveting is common too. Most of the riveted ones I’ve see (mostly older knives) have the rivets in the upper or end part of the bolster so the pivot hole doesn’t interfere with it. The rivets seem to be there to hold the bolster in alignment while intstalling the pivot pin and to keep the bolster from swiveling out of position once the pin is installed.
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

XX Case XX wrote:Can you post a link to that video? I'd like to see that.

OR
jerryd6818 wrote:Here's a video first posted in another thread by Mitch Rapp. It's all about how Topps Knives (fixed blades) are made. About ten minutes long, I thought it was pretty interesting and also belonged here. Thanks Mitch.

If you have the time, the second video about Ernest Emerson is pretty good too. Also about ten minutes.

GEC factory tour showing the steps it takes to make a complete pocket knife. Part one is 19 minutes long.

Part two is 18 minutes long. I'm glad to see that in part two, they finally got some safety glasses on "Dwayne".

The final step, part three is nine minutes long.

What Every Gun & Knife Owner In America Needs To Know!!

End of page 4 & 5
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
SafdE26

Post by SafdE26 »

If I remember correctly the pin holes are offset a little so that they are not in the way of each other... If you look at the video.. I thought the liner had a hole in it and the bolster head had a type of pin protrusion that sits inside the liner... then the stamping machine stamps it on swelling the pin against the liner and then ground down... this would be slightly offset from the pivot pin in the bolster.. Thats the way it looked to me in the video.

jack

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”