Future Collectibility

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Future Collectibility

Post by kootenay joe »

GEC knives are 'hot' right now. The popularity & demand for every new release has been steadily increasing since 2006 when GEC began operation, and shows no sign yet of slowing down.
New releases show up on ebay and often sell for double original price. 'Older' GEC knives, meaning from 2006 to present but not including whatever has just been released, are now commonly seen on ebay. Condition is not an issue as the vast majority have not been used. Some of these 'older' GEC's reliably sell high, e.g. many of the #15 pattern, whereas some others sell at or a little below original price.
The purpose of this thread is to use our collective experience & knife knowledge to predict which GEC knives are most likely to maintain a high collector value. Which patterns, which pattern variations and which handle materials do you think if purchased now will maintain or increase it's value over next 10 or more years, i.e. the near to mid term future, not 100 years from now ?
My thoughts are: any GEC with ivory, mammoth or stag handles; any #45 or #46; any 2006 and many 2007 knives.
Those who know the GEC's well can add specific details like which of the 100 or so ? varieties on the #15 frame are long term winners, etc.
So, be brave and take a stab at predicting the future.
kj
XX Case XX

Re: Future Collectibility

Post by XX Case XX »

I've actually thought about this from time to time. I feel that GEC's will eventually become the new "Vintage Case". GEC's are made to be used just like older Case knives were. Right now, it seems the most sought after Case are the ones made before 1980, meaning Original Dot-Era and prior, so you're talking about Case knives that are at least 39 years old.

In the grand scheme of things, GEC hasn't been around for very long, not like Case with 100+ years. But eventually, as time passes and the years and decades go by, and because of the relatively small numbers they make, I think they will eventually be highly sought after. And because they were meant to be used, finding a clean one in great shape will be what knife guys will look for, just as they do now with older Case.

Check back with me in 30 years or so and we'll see what the demand for those are... ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”