GEC #81 Bull Moose/Un-popular Design?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
XX Case XX
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

GEC #81 Bull Moose/Un-popular Design?

Postby XX Case XX » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:08 pm

I'm surprised that a large number of GEC #81 Bull Moose knives still haven't sold.

As for a few minutes ago, KSF has almost 40 Northfield Stag 81's in stock, and they also have 39 Tidioute Bull Moose in Red Micarta. That's not counting the other 81's in other handle categories. There are also several other GEC Distributors that have numerous 81's still available.

I wonder why that pattern does not seem very popular. Anyone have any ideas? ::shrug::

RalphAlsip
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC #81 Bull Moose/Un-popular Design?

Postby RalphAlsip » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:35 pm

It could be a variety of factors including how many were made. The GEC 81 stockman with 3 blades is called the Abilene. If you are lucky to find one of these the price is very high. If GEC would re-introduce the Abilene I believe these would sell out very fast. So I don't think it is the 81 pattern, I think it is the blade configuration with 2 large blades on each end of the knife that limits the interest.

The 78's seem to have sold very well. They were sold as a single blade and 2 blade jack with the large spear and a smaller pen opening from the same end. The single blade 78 appears to be in higher demand than the 2 blade jack.

FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby FarSide » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:19 pm

RalphAlsip wrote:It could be a variety of factors including how many were made. The GEC 81 stockman with 3 blades is called the Abilene. If you are lucky to find one of these the price is very high. If GEC would re-introduce the Abilene I believe these would sell out very fast. So I don't think it is the 81 pattern, I think it is the blade configuration with 2 large blades on each end of the knife that limits the interest.

The 78's seem to have sold very well. They were sold as a single blade and 2 blade jack with the large spear and a smaller pen opening from the same end. The single blade 78 appears to be in higher demand than the 2 blade jack.

I agree. The stockman would have sold much better.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:55 am

I am surprised that the #81 Moose has not sold out. In the past there have been Queen Moose SFO's that have been very popular plus Charlie C. had a Moose SFO that sold out.
I think it simply missed out on getting 'hyped', meaning someone starts a thread, usually on BF while the knife is still in production. Think of the #15 Barlow hype that has some of these knives selling for $400 on secondary market.
The other factor might be quality of the Stag which shows too much underlying white antler. i would like a Stag 81 but cannot find one with 'acceptable' Stag.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”