GEC Auctions of Note

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Doc B

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Post by Doc B »

Wow...these just keep commanding more and more $$$...
tc.png
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Head bang ::facepalm:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

If Charlie's intention is for his TC Barlows to be carried by everybody who buys one, he may have to rethink the quantities.

Things like this are why I've put my ebony and ancient TCs in the safe. ::shrug::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Tsar Bomba wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:56 pm If Charlie's intention is for his TC Barlows to be carried by everybody who buys one, he may have to rethink the quantities.

Things like this are why I've put my ebony and ancient TCs in the safe. ::shrug::
For those who bought these in the hope of selling for a profit, i think now is a good time to cash in. It might not the absolute top of the market, but i do not see these high prices being maintained for more than another 2-3 years. When some of the dedicated GEC collectors move on to new interests, the very highly price GEC's will begin to drop in price. It will be sudden and precipitous.
The knife 'market' has a history of swings in popularity and therefore prices because collector interests change regularly.
Although i believe this, i have also believed things in the past and with things that involved money, i have so far always been wrong.
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Doc B wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:14 pm Wow...these just keep commanding more and more $$$...tc.png
I could find 3 or maybe 4 really nice old bone schrades on ebay for around the same price that one TC sold (spread out of course). Lol.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

In November 2018 ,I bought a #48 mini slim trapper in blueberry wavy jigged bone. I paid $146 total for it. A week later one was sold for $120 plus shipping. In 2019 another #48 blueberry was sold for $175 and then another one after that one was sold for $200. Only 20 were made.
488117-bjb.jpg
488117-bjb.jpg (11.83 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

In late 2018 , I bought a 2011 GEC#65 Ben Hogan in Gold Autumn jigged bone. 24 made with no # --- The poor guy lost his job and he had about 15 GEC knives for sale in Evil-bay. He listed it for $150 plus shipping and that is what I paid for it. He made money on every knife he sold , he had some good ones too.. I ended up with a true keeper !
435500009880002.jpg
76600998222.png
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I don't remotely understand this one. Two drunk guys, watching the Superbowl, in a bidding war?!?!
Lone Star.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Here is one that went for 460. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-GREAT-EAS ... 3814617184
Burnt stag 73.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:13 am Here is one that went for 460. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-GREAT-EAS ... 3814617184
Burnt stag 73.
This auction is a surprise: 2015 #73 with burnt stag handles. Nice GEC but nothing special or unique about it. The 73 pattern was one of the first GEC's, made in 2006, and there have been many #73 releases since then, both 2 blade & single blade.
Is there something here that could explain the $460 selling price ?
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:33 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:13 am Here is one that went for 460. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-GREAT-EAS ... 3814617184
Burnt stag 73.
This auction is a surprise: 2015 #73 with burnt stag handles. Nice GEC but nothing special or unique about it. The 73 pattern was one of the first GEC's, made in 2006, and there have been many #73 releases since then, both 2 blade & single blade.
Is there something here that could explain the $460 selling price ?
kj
Other than the stag being exceptionally nice, I didn’t see anything that would give someone a hint that this would go this high. It’s a head scratcher for sure.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

This Cattle knife just sold for 515!!! That hurts the wallet, I don’t care where you’re from. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-EASTERN- ... fresh=true
Attachments
IMG_0307.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "This Cattle knife just sold for 515!!! That hurts the wallet"

Yes, but what a fine knife ! Only topped by the Texas Camp knife.
kj
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I was watching this even though I already have one - if one is good 2 is better :). Early in the auction there didn't seem to be much interest and then it jumped up quickly. So far it would seem that knife values are not taking a hit as a result of the Covid economic situation. If anything, it seems like valuations have risen since this all started.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:09 am This Cattle knife just sold for 515!!! That hurts the wallet, I don’t care where you’re from. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-EASTERN- ... fresh=true
Straight up crazy!!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

If you thought that Cattle knife was crazy; here's one to watch. A Campagna 98 Camp Knife. These don't show up very often
This should fetch a pretty penny.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-EASTERN- ... 1438.l2649
-Tim
Trouts

Post by Trouts »

I was also watching the cattle knife and early on thought it might sell for around $200. Boy was I wrong. I can only imagine what the camp knife will sell for. Glad I got my 98 American Whittler when I did. I think it's the nicest made GEC I have handled.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Time to start cashing in on some of that stuff in the safe? ...unfortunately, not in my safe.
ancient.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I don't get it. Why are so many collectors willing to spend such large sums of money for a pocket knife ? $775 is about 7 times the original price. As this was an auction there are other bidders who were willing to pay almost as much.
When will the bubble burst ? I keep thinking this is it, $500, cannot go any higher, and then a different GEC sells at $600 and i think this must be the peak. But they still keep going up. Not all GEC's, just certain patterns.
I still think that prices are going to come down and the last buyer will take a loss when he comes to sell.
I can see continued appreciation for the GEC's with mammoth or ivory handles because no more will be made. For all the rest it is risky business paying so many times the original price.
I have never made good business/investment decisions so i would really like to hear what others think about these very high GEC prices. Maybe there is still room for further 'growth' ?
kj
schradefan27

Post by schradefan27 »

I got seriously into knives around 1996-97. At that time "tactical" was big. I bought a bunch of customs in the $350-$1,000 range.

Brend and Emerson appreciated and I sold one a couple years ago for about 10X what I paid for it.

Crawford, Elishewitz, Nealy and Ryan not so much - though I still love the Ryans!

Started buying traditional styles around 2004. I think that GEC represents the quality, scarcity and "cool" factor that some of the custom tactical guys had (for me at that time) in the late 1990's early 2000's.

Old Schrades currently "speak" to me and I would probably pay "too much" for same. For me they would be a good value.

But I buy for fun not investment.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "But I buy for fun not investment"
me too but with some GEC's in the over $700 range most of us having fun can no longer play.
If you have sufficient funds and you buy at $700 and then decide to sell in a few years and the price is $300, the $400 loss is no big deal. But for most 'regular' guys it is a big deal.
Each of has has a price point at which we say 'no' not buying it at that price. I think the most popular GEC's have passed this price point for many GEC collectors.
I would like to hear how the very high prices are affecting other GEC collectors. Does $775 put you on the side lines ?
kj
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Last week, on another Facebook group...I stated, that GEC collecting had become a spectator sport.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

$775 would definitely put me out of the running for any knife. I did go over $400 for a grail GEC (1 down, 1 to go) but all the rest of my GEC's have been off the dealers shelf or reserved at regular retail.

I think the earlier small batch knives will only appreciate. It's the craziness over large runs of recent production that baffles me.
Trace
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

It's the craziness over large runs of recent production that baffles me.

I think the GEC investment mania is part of the same mania affecting the investors in the stock market. Many companies are soaring even tho they are not profitable. Every bubble eventually pops.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Up for less than 24 hours and already at $365, this one could get crazy. I don't get the craziness over these, if you total up all the handle varieties there are nearly 4000 on the planet which is a monstrous GEC run.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... Swq6hfOAvP
Trace

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”