78 American Jack

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 78 American Jack

Postby kootenay joe » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Question for GEC experts: what is the difference between the #77 Yankee Jack and the #78 American Jack ? Both have a Spear Point master and long Pen secondary. Depending on the year made, nail nicks can be on same side or both sides. Both are 3 3/4", 2 blade, Regular Jacks.
kj

biglmbass

Postby biglmbass » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:42 pm

kootenay joe wrote:Question for GEC experts: what is the difference between the #77 Yankee Jack and the #78 American Jack ? Both have a Spear Point master and long Pen secondary. Depending on the year made, nail nicks can be on same side or both sides. Both are 3 3/4", 2 blade, Regular Jacks.
kj

The blade stock, at least on the master blade, is slightly thicker on one of them. Scratching my head, trying to remember which one has the thicker blade. Want to say the 77 does, but I'm not where I can check the ones I have. Also as you've probably noticed the top bolster of the 77 pattern is square versus the round bolster of the 78. Additionally the spear blades of each pattern are shaped just a bit differently

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:07 am

Thanks for this reply. Likely the bolsters are the only difference. The slight variation in blade thickness & profile might be just a knife to knife variation rather than an actual pattern specification ? Need to have at least 10 of each to measure.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”