Better than Stocks

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Better than Stocks

Postby kootenay joe » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:53 am

The knife pictured below is an attractive GEC #66 Calf Roper. It is an active ebay auction with over a day to go and top bid is $835.
What is going on ? I truly do not understand. The supply is limited but what keeps driving the demand such that prices on secondary market are climbing like the stock market tech boom.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEC-Northfield ... 0169.m2942

kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (2).jpg

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Better than Stocks

Postby gsmith7158 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:56 am

kootenay joe wrote:The knife pictured below is an attractive GEC #66 Calf Roper. It is an active ebay auction with over a day to go and top bid is $835.
What is going on ? I truly do not understand. The supply is limited but what keeps driving the demand such that prices on secondary market are climbing like the stock market tech boom.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEC-Northfield ... 0169.m2942

kj

It is amazing Kj! I tried to sneak up one one last night but was blown out of the water at the last second. ::skeptic::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

americanedgetech
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby americanedgetech » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:31 am

It's the mob mentality thing.
1=2=4=7=10=49=296... I have had one GEC in hand, and it did nothing for me other than the same feeling I get from a mint in box 1980 Puma that I paid 1/4 the price for.

I'm not experienced enough in collecting knives but I'd rather chase down a Canal Street or rare Camillus because we ALL know the GEC bubble will burst, and there will be a whole flock of sheep with 150.00 knives that they paid near 5 times too much for.

No disrespect meant by this, it is just what happens.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!

Railsplitter
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Railsplitter » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:46 am

It was a Knives Ship Free SFO in 2014 with only 25 made in Mammoth Ivory. That's still a pretty high bid regardless. Somebody wants that bad boy.
Rick T.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:27 am

I have one. Nice knife for sure. I have posted it here in AAPK. If i can find it i will link.
kj

1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby 1fartsmella » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:17 am

Let's keep in mind there is 18 bids from only 3 bidders. What will happen after these 3 guys each get one? How many more guys will be willing to bid like this for this unique knife? Maybe bidder # 4 will come out of the trees and snipe at the last moment? A nice situation for the seller. I wonder how much it cost when it was first offered?

americanedgetech
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby americanedgetech » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:21 am

GEC 66 Mammoth Jack $155 for sale second hand as "New in Tube" was sold in 2014.
Ken Mc.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:15 pm

Sold at $859 ! Winning bidder is not one of the 3 who were bidding against each other but came in right at the end, This shows there are at least 4 people willing to pay big money for a mammoth handled GEC.
Ivory & Mammoth are my favorite handle materials so i have been buying them when released and if lucky as they sell out quickly. The usual selling price is about $100 more than the same knife with jigged bone. On the secondary market until recently the GEC made knives with mammoth have been selling for ~ $100-$150 over original price.
In the last month i have seen 3 examples of GEC/mammoth selling for multiples of original price with this #66 being the highest yet at ~ 3.5 X original price.
It looks like for at least the near term GEC/mammoth knives are going to be very expensive to buy. I'm sure this secondary market demand has been noted by GEC & their dealers. I expect the next release of GEC with mammoth will have a $200 premium over the same pattern with other handles.
What are your thoughts about these very high prices for mammoth handles GEC ? I have left out elephant ivory because the law adds a level of complexity and there will be no more production knives made with this material.
kj

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:15 am

Here is my GEC 668214 with mammoth ivory, same knife as just sold for $859. Mine looks very much like elephant ivory which is why i selected it. Others may prefer mammoth with markings or staining in it.
Another similar knife is the Schatt & Morgan #65 Baby Sunfish with mammoth ivory.
If ebay is any indication i have about $1500 worth in these 2 knives !
kj
Attachments
IMGP3059.JPG
IMGP3060.JPG
IMGP3062.JPG
IMGP3063.JPG
IMGP3064.JPG

Railsplitter
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Railsplitter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:19 am

Those are both incredibly nice, Roland!
Rick T.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:26 am

Thanks Rick. The mammoth on the 66 has more grain & color than my pictures show. I am lucky to have bought these at the original prices. There seems to be a 'mammoth hunt' on lately that is pushing prices higher by the month.
kj

Tsar Bomba
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Tsar Bomba » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:26 am

The mammoth ivory on that S&M is right in my wheelhouse, kj. ::tu::

I personally do not expect to see a significant drop in mammoth-handled cutlery prices soon, if ever. I think GEC might be going to the sambar stag well a little too often these days and I would like to see a NF-line mammoth knife released in the somewhat near future. I'm almost positive I'd get a safe queen (for reasons kj has mentioned) and a user because a knife with the right kind of mammoth is just too dang pretty not to tote around town.

The owner of the Northwoods name might be pressuring GEC to limit or eliminate any "regular line" mammoth runs, of course. But keep in mind there's always a possibility that mammoth ivory is simply becoming harder to source in the supply chain on account of the animal being extinct and recovery of ivory often being a dangerous and expensive proposition. It's a more organic version of the difficulty sourcing elephant ivory in the States. Instead of bureaucratic hoops that disappear and reappear as the administrations change, it's actual biology doing the limiting.

Either way, prices are headed up-up-up, IMO.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:46 am

Large ancient ice fields & glaciers are continuing to melt and expose mammoth tusks. Obviously the supply is limited but i believe that there is still plenty of mammoth being found now. I believe the increase in price of mammoth handled knives is due to the willingness of the consumer to pay more for something they find desirable.
My bet is that mammoth handled production knives will show a major price increase with the next release. Up to now a GEC knife with mammoth costs ~ $100 more than the next most expensive handle option, usually giraffe bone or stag. With the next release, if mammoth is present i expect the price will be $200 more than the next most expensive handle choice.
However i have never been involved with a business so i don't know what i am talking about and prices will go down !
kj

vikingdog

Postby vikingdog » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:14 pm

GEC manipulates the market by never producing enough knives in the most popular patterns. They get a buzz going and the knives sell out in no time to the fan boys and hoarders. Nice knives for sure, I was buying them in 2010 in nicer jigged bone for much less than today's prices. They follow the Apple and Nintendo marketing strategy. Create artificial shortages and keep the prices up.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike

americanedgetech
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby americanedgetech » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Diamonds! Control the market, and artificially inflate the cost!

There is no value for the dollar in this but there is an artificial market that controls the cost. There are knives ranging from 20.00 - 100.00 that are just as nice or nicer, and I can buy a shipping container full of them if I wanted.
I won't take the bait, and I don't really care about it. In FACT I dislike the company because of it.
If I don't like a band I wont buy their records. It's that simple
Just my opinion, and feelings about GEC knives.
Ken Mc.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”